Taylor/Neidlinger Candid sessions

romualdo

Maybe this has been covered previously but here goes

take 5 of Jumpin' Punkins from the Buell Neidlinger/Cecil Taylor Jan 61 candid session was omitted from the Mosaic set (only included takes 4 & 6)

Take 5 has been included on the Candid CD Cell Walk For Celeste (9034)

was it an oversight on MC's part or is really a different take

I've listened to all three takes (have the Mosaic set & downloaded "tk 5" from Itunes) - all 3 takes sound different

Any comments?

• 2 weeks later...

That Mosaic was one of the first to be openly not fully "complete" in terms of unissued material, which kinda pissed me off. So I wrote a letter to Cuscuna saying as much, and he wrote back saying, in effect, sorry, but complete doesn't have to be complete, because we have - and will exercise - discretion in such matters.

Which still pissed be off, because...complete means complete. Period. If it doesn't, then fuck language (not a bad idea at all, although not in this way). But whatcha' gonna do?

As for Lord...I don't own his work, but there's a lot of people here who seem to think that he copies and pastes a lot, so...I remember hearing about the new take on the Candid CD when it came out, seems that it was mentioned in a review or two, but if Lord C&P-ed from a source that preceded that issue, then there you have it.

That Mosaic was one of the first to be openly not fully "complete" in terms of unissued material, which kinda pissed me off. So I wrote a letter to Cuscuna saying as much, and he wrote back saying, in effect, sorry, but complete doesn't have to be complete, because we have - and will exercise - discretion in such matters.

Which still pissed be off, because...complete means complete. Period. If it doesn't, then fuck language (not a bad idea at all, although not in this way). But whatcha' gonna do?

As for Lord...I don't own his work, but there's a lot of people here who seem to think that he copies and pastes a lot, so...I remember hearing about the new take on the Candid CD when it came out, seems that it was mentioned in a review or two, but if Lord C&P-ed from a source that preceded that issue, then there you have it.

I think he has a point, but in this case I think quibbling over one take of the song when you have a million already on there seems foolish.

That's worded confusingly perhaps. What I mean is I think he's right most of the time, but you're right in this instance.

Calling it The Complete Candid Recordings Of.... set up a different expectation than would have The Candid Recordings Of... or some such. But at the time, Mosaic was calling every set "The Complete" and boasting abot it. So yeah, ther was a disconnect, at least for me.

They've adapted since, but at the time it was just a tad weaselly, I thought.

Probably not the right place to post this, but I love this period of Cecil's playing. I often (greedily) wish that Shepp had missed the gig for the quartet sessions. Then there'd be more trio stuff to hear!

I also wish that Cecil had recorded a trio session for Blue Note. Taylor-Silva-Cyrille. 1966/7. Woulda. Been. Great.

Probably not the right place to post this, but I love this period of Cecil's playing. I often (greedily) wish that Shepp had missed the gig for the quartet sessions. Then there'd be more trio stuff to hear!

I also wish that Cecil had recorded a trio session for Blue Note. Taylor-Silva-Cyrille. 1966/7. Woulda. Been. Great.

Almost happened - Student Studies 1966 recording on BYG Japan and later on Affinity. Taylor - Silva -Cyrille with Jimmy Lyons added to the mix.

Almost happened - Student Studies 1966 recording on BYG Japan and later on Affinity. Taylor - Silva -Cyrille with Jimmy Lyons added to the mix.

I heard that trio configuration on a number of occasions when I was allowed to attend rehearsals by the CT Unit for several weeks when they came to Paris in 1966 (including at the Maison de l'ORTF concert where Student/Studies was recorded and illegally released by the Byg crooks!).

The trio configuration was Great indeed but the music came to full bloom when Jimmy Lyons joined in! Then it became Magic!