Stuff Smith Set No Longer Available

Leeway

That is surprising. But maybe Stuff's family or somebody else involved in the original recordings claimed they weren't getting their proper royalties and threatened to sue Uinversal and Mosaic and they just felt it was easier not to sell any more vis a vis a lawsuit. I never did buy the set. I don't think I would have but I guess now I'll never know.

It may have to do with the timing of events and how the license agreement was written, i.e., the license was given to manufacture the sets. apparently mosaic did not know that they had a problem until they went to manufacture their next batch to sit on their shelves. recognizing that the teddy wilson has a lower catalogue number than the smith, and assuming that the license for that one is over five year as probably the smith was, I asked mosaic this morning whether they could continue to sell the wilson. I was told yes though it was mentioned that the wilson set would probably go on the "running low" list later this year. In other words, MOsaic was not going to manufacture another batch. currently, there are over four hundred wilson sets available.

There was this commercial once showing first a young, then a teenage and then a grown-up guy pressing his nose on a shop window behind which the latest model of some Mercedes (now Daimler/Chrysler) was on display. When he finally walked into the shop to buy himself a Mercedes, now obviously old and rich enough to do so (expensive suit, etc.), the camera pans up to show his now grown-up face with one HUGE FLAT nose.

I've been over to the Mosaic site quite often.

My nose is so big, I can't get through my own front door anymore.

Crap.

I'm surprised the Charlie Parker set has hung around for so long-- given how popular all the other recorded scraps seem to be, I'd think people would be snapping that up, sound quality notwithstanding!

I'll probably get the Mobley, then maybe the JJ-- which I only passed on before because I got the Fuller and needed less trombone in my Mosaic life for a while :)

I can imagine Universal wants to get some money out of these sets faster, before the licensing period is over - that could be the idea for the Mulligan set being available at retailers in the beginning. Well, same goes for the new Select sets ...

Anyway, Universal is not the easiest partner to deal with. Remember how long Cuscuna waited to do the Mulligan set because Verve for years said they wanted to do it themselves? Or the Roach, which was announced on the Verve website and then suddenly was released by Mosaic?

Too bad I didn't get the Stuff Smith in time ... one of those I always set back because of others running low :( have the Verve twofer and like it.

p.s. The Keynote set is another example - owned by Universal, who toys with the idea of doing it themselves. It was on LP in Japan in the 1980's - one of Kiyoshi "Boxman" Koyama's masterpieces - and they would only have to take it from the shelf and remaster it! Ridiculous! I have some of the stuff on single CDs and it is prime small group swing on the level of the Commodores - and that's another archive Universal sits on - the longer I think about how much great music they are sitting on that is not available the angrier I get! :angry:

This STINKS!! I don't ever remember a Mosaic going *poof* like this with no time on the Running low/Last chance list. I've missed some good sets because I've stopped paying attention to Mosaic for a while, but at least that was MY choice (sort of). Well, if the superb Verve double-CD that ghost mentioned is still in print, that's something at least.

Chris: With an avatar like THAT you still don't have the Mobley?? Whaa???

I highly recommend it, though I admit to being biased as Hell. B)

the last weekend i spotted a sealed Stuff Smith Mosaic set.

the saddest thing about Mosaic sets here in Rio is that they cost 31 USD per disc no matter if they are OOP or not.

i´ll be glad to help shipping this for its cost but IMHO it´s way too expensive.

Marcus Oliveira

Edited by marcoliv

p.s. The Keynote set is another example - owned by Universal, who toys with the idea of doing it themselves. It was on LP in Japan in the 1980's - one of Kiyoshi "Boxman" Koyama's masterpieces - and they would only have to take it from the shelf and remaster it! Ridiculous! I have some of the stuff on single CDs and it is prime small group swing on the level of the Commodores - and that's another archive Universal sits on - the longer I think about how much great music they are sitting on that is not available the angrier I get! :angry:

Man, you said it! I finally sprang for a copy of the Japanese Keynote set and was shocked at the quality of most of the music (and quantity!) of this 21 lp box. We're talking over a hundred unreleased takes here. Stuff this great should not be so difficult to hear! <_<

following ed swinnich's lead, I am considering getting discs 2 and 4 from mosaic, can anyone give me a quick run down of which sessions are included on these discs? the mosaic web site still has the discography however that does not indicate which sessions are on which discs. I figured out that the session with carl perkins on piano is on disc 2-what else is on that disc-the gillespie session? and does disc 4 have all of the the material with shirley horn? judging from a note on the discography, it would appear that disc 3 has the entire session with oscar peterson.

Disc Two has material from the LP "Have Violin Will Swing"with Carl Perkins(p),Red Callender(B) Oscar Bradley (d) and from "Dizzy Gillespie & Stuff Smith" with Dizzy Gillespie(tp), Wynton Kelly(p), Paul West(B) J.C. Heard(d)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Disc Four has the unissued Gershwin material with Shirley Horn,(p, vcl) Lewis Packer(b)Harry Saunders(d)

material from "Cat On A Hot Fiddle" with unissued material: Paul Smith(p) Red Mitchell(B) Sid Bulkin (d) and the last four tracks are unissued with Ray Nance(v)

Kenny Burrell(g) Jimmy Jones(p) Milt Hinton(B) Osie Johnson(d)