Steve Jobs has died

All I can say is that the only apple product I've used has been a iPod, and I love the intuitiveness of it, not so much the inconsistencies with the OS, but oh well about that.

Still not a smartphone guy (or a cell phone guy for that matter), but the lates phone that LTB got was an iPhone-ish device. Pretty cool, although virtual keyboards and my thumbs seem to be congenital enemies.

Have always used PCs due to always having to be compatible at home with work & school & etc. Am sure that Macs are superior, but not necessarily in any way that matters to me.

So Jobs might not have changed my world specifically, but the output from his general techno-birth-canal sure has (for better or worse, I don't know...still not crazy about seeing people at ballgames sitting behind home plate texting all damn game instead of watching the game itself, same thing with players on gigs checking their phones every time the have, like, an 8 measure break) but I like the notion of the guy anyway. Not sharing in the hero-worship (or whatever it is myself), but still would rather have somebody with at least some sense of grace riding herd over the hacks and nerds, which is what he seemed to bring to the table.

Still...the Xerox Palo Alto scene...everybody should look at that if you want to see hardcore innovation. Developmental, not so much, Xerox could not have been any more moredumb than they were on that, but if Apple was the birth canal, that place was the actual womb.

But this sour grapes "lucky", "right place right time" meme...no. Whoever it was that said luck is when preparation meets opportunity had it right.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Steve Jobs didn't get where he was because he was smart or talented. He was lucky. He was in the right place at the right time and got noticed by the right people. He made some good desicions once he was already well in the game, but it's not too hard to take a risk when you've got plenty of capital to fall back on in case you're wrong. Like almost everyone who changed the world, Steve Jobs was a lucky bastard. A one in ten million shot.

Bullshit. Some people are lucky, but they're usually only lucky once. He didn't have capital when he started but he sold he car and some old calculators to start Apple and get rich. Then he got fired and bought Pixar turning it into a huge success when Lucas (who had even more capital) couldn't. Then he re-took over a failing company and completely turned it around. Any one of those things might have been luck but not all three. Don't say he wasn't smart and talented. Some rich people are.

.........Steve Post had a lot to do with that and all one has to consider is the enormous following that took place in the industry....he shaped it, he took great concepts and made them into viable realities. He called the shots.

And, Alexander, please read about the details regarding the firing of Steve Jobs before you make more rash comments on it.

Steve Post, eh? Are you pining for those glory years at WBAI? :cool:

Ooops! I had just finished posting about that bastard (Post) on another board! Actually, I have more disgust for Post than I have respect for Jobs—and that's saying something!

BTW How do you know about Post?

I see good news and bad news.

The good news was that in a time when self-made billionaires are typically Wall Street paper traders, Jobs was actually "in the business" (really multiple businesses - computers, music, telephones, film animation). I believe that the businessmen who are "in the business" move the world forward, and we need more of them.

The bad news was that he was known for abusing his employees, completely disregarding the Golden Rule. That is not a small defect.

You know what? The more I think about it, fuck Steve Jobs. What did he do? Made more expensive crap that people can want but don't really need. More things to make white people jizz their pants and show the other white people how superior they are. "I've got the new iTem! It's sleek and shiney! For the next six months (until the new model comes out), I'm better than you! Gaze upon my ability to afford stuff! Better stuff than you!"

What else can we thank ol' Steve-o for? How about the fact that we're all at the office 24/7? Yes, thanks to the iPhone and the iPad, you can be connected and productive, even at home! So get back to work! I want everything now! My expectations are now increased a hundredfold! No, a THOUSANDFOLD! I want your report on my desktop yesterday! Why can't I have everything yesterday? Hasn't Apple put out an iTimemachine yet?

But who cares if we work more hours for less pay, benefits, and vacation time than every other industrialized nation? We have a sleek, shiney gadget, courtesy of Steve Jobs.

Speaking of Jobs, have you noticed that this is the most the word "Jobs" has been used by the media in over three years? Funny...I thought that it was a different kind of "Jobs" that Americans needed. Maybe if all those long-term unemployed put on black turtlenecks and started standing in front of PowerPoint presentations, we'd have paid them more attenton...

iTHING is the sweetener that makes the bitter taste of today's political-economic system go down easier. Or maybe it's like the nice, pure hit of crack you give a first-time "client" that gets them in your pocket. Oh Brave New World!

In 1971 Esquire Magazine published an article called "Secrets of the Little Blue Box" by Ron Rosenbaum. Forty years ago, when I first read the article, I was fascinated enough to persuade a an electrical engineer I knew to build me a blue box. This was not as difficult as it could have been, since ATT had inadvertently published the tone codes in a professional journal and they were available in any decent university library.

Edited by Brownian Motion

This is an old quote/story but just in case you missed it.......

Jobs had convinced Sculley, then-president of PepsiCo, to join Apple in 1983. Jobs wanted Sculley to help the declining Apple II — the first commercially successful line of personal computers — to continue generating cash flow for three more years while Jobs secured funds to launch the Macintosh computer line.

“I actually turned Steve Jobs down as we were standing on the terrace of his New York City penthouse,” Sculley wrote in an email. “Steve had on his blue jeans and black turtleneck sweater. He paused, look down, then gazed directly at me and said, ‘Do you want to sell sugar water for the rest of your life or come with me and change the world?’

http://thedp.com/index.php/article/2011/10/steve_jobs_leaves_lasting_legacy_among_penn_students_alumni_and_professors

• 1 month later...

The death of Steve Jobs was followed by an avalanche of superlatives - brilliant, genius, and visionary among the more common. He was likened to Leonardo da Vinci, Albert Einstein, and Thomas Edison.

But in the case of Edison, there was one significant difference that went unmentioned. For more than a century, just one of Edison's inventions alone - the incandescent lightbulb - was manufactured at numerous locations in the United States, providing employment for millions of Americans across family generations.

The Apple home computer, not at all. After only one generation, all the Apple manufacturing jobs in America disappeared, as the work of building and assembling the machines was turned over to laborers in sweatshops in China and other countries. Jobs that should have provided employment for Americans for decades to come were terminated.

More here

*To be fair I'm sure if outsourcing had existed back in Edison's day he would have jumped on that too.

Edited by J.H. Deeley