Coltrane: The Impulse Albums Vol. 5

jazzbo

I'm so tempted to get vol 4 & 5, but...man - do I really need it? I own all this on vinyl and CD, I don't want to buy it all again!

Still own all that vinyl too, haven't played it in years.

There's something so seductive about seeing those boxes on the shelf at the store.

Don't worry. It will be back in print as a bionic implant in about a decade or so.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm so tempted to get vol 4 & 5, but...man - do I really need it? I own all this on vinyl and CD, I don't want to buy it all again!

Still own all that vinyl too, haven't played it in years.

There's something so seductive about seeing those boxes on the shelf at the store.

Don't worry. It will be back in print as a bionic implant in about a decade or so.

An avant-garde tinnitus.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I have the Cosmic Music and Infinity CDs, and after more than 10 years of looking for Coltrane CDs, I finally get the impression that my Coltrane CD collection is complete - until something like the Titans of the Tenor concert is released.

Edited by gvopedz

UH OH. I was wrong, there's a major boo-boo here. Welcome IS the second tune on Transition. That's awful. Just awful supervision. I hope they come up with a replacement disc. PDQ.

REALLY disappointing.

I will not hold my breath. They "solved" the error in the Getz box by offering an mp3 download.

Well, took time but I got an email response from a Universal dude. He says to write him back "in about a month" for a replacement disc. We'll see. If there is one available, I'll update this thread.

• 3 months later...

Looks like a ton of latter-day impulse single discs, including all the posthumous releases, are dropping stateside on 2/7. Did they do this with the previous volumes, and if so, can anyone speak to whether the single-disc versions are just "broken up" volumes? Or do they have that horrible "verve originals" packaging?

I just supplied him with the email address. I don't have an answer to that question, I haven't received an answer.

I initially received an email response by contacting Hip-O Select through their website. I got a few email responses the last of which was in early December saying "the disc will be repressed in January." I sent an email recently asking if it had been repressed but have not received a response.

Edited by jazzbo

Okay, sorry I missed that* and thought it was the Trane disc. No idea about the Getz. As I have the track in error elsewhere I didn't pursue it with an email inquiry.

*I hope that means I'm finally going senile. Been looking forward to it.

Edited by jazzbo

Okay, sorry I missed that* and thought it was the Trane disc. No idea about the Getz. As I have the track in error elsewhere I didn't pursue it with an email inquiry.

*I hope that means I'm finally going senile. Been looking forward to it.

Don't wish too hard, you just might get what you want :)

Last I emailed Hip-O early in January, they said they hadn't yet received word from the pressing plant as to when the Trane disc would be ready. When I saw that Universal was releasing the components of the boxed set on 2/7, I assumed that meant the corrected disc HAD to be ready. Maybe a bad assumption? They couldn't possibly be releasing the bad disc again, could they?

Up, one last shot in case anyone knows the answer before preorder is over. Thanks!

Looks like a ton of latter-day impulse single discs, including all the posthumous releases, are dropping stateside on 2/7. Did they do this with the previous volumes, and if so, can anyone speak to whether the single-disc versions are just "broken up" volumes? Or do they have that horrible "verve originals" packaging?

I don't seem to understand the question... I recently got box #4 and the packing is the very same as the "horrible" Originals (which design-wise are okay with me). So broken up boxes or originals will look the same. The only difference is they come in jewel cases (originals are digipacks, I know, but early on in yurp they came in jewel cases, too).

The discs stacked in the cardboard box of Vol. 4 even say "Originals" inside the traycard (visible because of clear trays being used).

Before I go out and buy the Coltrane material one more time... I checked my collection for "Transition" (a must, as people have noted many times), and I have a Japanese version (in mini-gatefold format) with the original tracks, that '93 domestic version with slighty altered tracks, and all of it in the "Complete" Impulse quartet box. Does this mean I can take a pass.

And, on the subject of "Quad" - "Hold On, I'm Coming" probably did sound good in that tent in Texas (post #42)- but I was in Yankee Stadium for that performance, and it was - no kidding - one of the most memorable sets I ever heard - the audience almost exploded from note one. Go figure.

I'm sorry, I guess I was vague. I guess what I'm really asking is are these releases (the single-disc releases) like the 20-bit series that came out in the mid- late-90's (in terms of packaging, album art, etc.), or is this like a "new" series?

For example, Impulse issued Coltrane at the Vanguard in its 20-bit series--in 1995 or thereabouts--and then again in 2008 as part of what appears to be the "Originals" series. But I can't determine whether there's different mastering, or ???

Pictorially,

B000FDF1LK.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

vs

41MiU1a8gVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

I don't seem to understand the question... I recently got box #4 and the packing is the very same as the "horrible" Originals (which design-wise are okay with me). So broken up boxes or originals will look the same. The only difference is they come in jewel cases (originals are digipacks, I know, but early on in yurp they came in jewel cases, too).

The discs stacked in the cardboard box of Vol. 4 even say "Originals" inside the traycard (visible because of clear trays being used).

Edited by Peter Johnson

I guess it's all "Originals" nowadays - unless you go the Japan route.

I also think (but am not sure) I've seen some single discs in store from the more recent boxes - jewel case packed originals.

Boxes #1-3 were Originals, too, yes? Just done by Universal instead of their boutique-outlet Hip-O, and packed in digipacks, correct?

Haven't really followed all of this too closely as I've got my Trane... wouldn't mind buying box #5 if they ever fix it.

I'm sorry, I guess I was vague. I guess what I'm really asking is are these releases (the single-disc releases) like the 20-bit series that came out in the mid- late-90's (in terms of packaging, album art, etc.), or is this like a "new" series?

For example, Impulse issued Coltrane at the Vanguard in its 20-bit series--in 1995 or thereabouts--and then again in 2008 as part of what appears to be the "Originals" series. But I can't determine whether there's different mastering, or ???

Pictorially,

B000FDF1LK.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

vs

41MiU1a8gVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Can anyone shed some light? Thanks!

The 20-bit mastered CD reissue was done by Erick Labson and Todd Whitelock mastered the "Originals" CD reissue.

Edited by J.A.W.

After the first volume, all discs were remastered by Kevin Reeves, and when I have been able to compare are the same masterings as contemporary Japanese reissues.

I don't know what type of packaging these new ones will sport. If they're digipaks I'll be a bit peeved.

Edited by jazzbo

... Todd Whitelock mastered the "Originals" CD reissue.

After the first volume, all discs were remastered by Kevin Reeves, and when I have been able to compare are the same masterings as contemporary Japanese reissues.

I don't know what type of packaging these new ones will sport. If they're digipaks I'll be a bit peeved.

So the boxes DO contain DIFFERENT remasterings compared to the Originals?

This is getting to be confusing... as for the design: indeed some of the "Originals" digipack-reissues of (especially) Impulse albums do look splendid, while the jewel case packed discs in box Vol. 4 don't look nearly as nice.

I can't answer that, as I have never bought any of the "Originals" having bought all the box sets. The packaging of all of the discs in the box set say "Originals", even the last two volumes, which are in much less attractive, less well-printed jewel case packaging. I would be very surprised if these remasterings differed from the separate "Originals," as why would they go to that expense or trouble? They're not the same as the "pre-original" digipak and jewel case releases, that is true.