Amps

David Ayers

Ok so my Quad amp/pre-amp are past it. But where to go for simple stereo? I thought really a straightforward integrated amp like a Marantz would be good enough for my present needs. So I check them out. What a joke. $3000 amps that don't support either bi-wiring or a second set of speakers. Oh but they do have two 'tape loops'. What? Who can remember what those are even for?? So integrated amps, marketed in UK, bit more serious, not too fancy a budget. Is there anything or is hi-fi like the LP and CD more or less a thing of the past? Should I just get Quad to scrub up my current stuff and make it last another few years?

Edited by David Ayers

That may be the best thing to do. Very little mass-produced today is worth the money you'll spend on it, especially in the higher limits of big audio companies.

I lucked into using Decware amplification years ago and I'd recommend their products, especially if you were here in the States, though they've a number of UK users as well and most of their equipment can be shipped from the factory ready to plug in. These are hand-built with premium parts, no circuit boards, point-to-point soldered and star grounded, very robust designs with clear and powerful sound.

Decware High Fidelity

Edited by jazzbo

I can understand that. I've had their amps since 1987 with no need for support at all from them. The only product that I had from them that needed repair was not an amp.

I know you're not looking for High End. Decware is not High End. But. . . in my opinion to get the kind of sound you've enjoyed for so long these days you have to look at independent builders and the higher end manufacturers. Or rebuild/refurbish vintage units. Just my tuppence.

Ah yes you pointed out decware to me before, but I need something based here with the proper support. In any case I am not really looking for high end, just the right balance between warmth and transparency.

Sounds like you might be in the market for a dealer as much as for an amp. Consider visiting a few local dealers to find someone you trust, then listen to what they have or recommend.

I'm not sure where you are; if you're in London, maybe this isn't a big deal, since most major brands are going to be represented there. But if you're in a smaller city and want local support, the dealer may be the most important choice.

Ah yes you pointed out decware to me before, but I need something based here with the proper support. In any case I am not really looking for high end, just the right balance between warmth and transparency.

Sounds like you might be in the market for a dealer as much as for an amp. Consider visiting a few local dealers to find someone you trust, then listen to what they have or recommend.

I'm not sure where you are; if you're in London, maybe this isn't a big deal, since most major brands are going to be represented there. But if you're in a smaller city and want local support, the dealer may be the most important choice.

Well I tried to find a dealer... and the one I found I did not trust at all. That was outside London. Central London doesn't work for me for this kind of thing.

One reason I never went back to the dealer I started with was he scratched one of my test CDs - audibly and in my presence, as he took it out the CD drawer - then pretended he hadn't done anything. Hilarious. I still remember the look in his face.

Another one didn't tell me a key fact about a piece of equipment he sold me, which would have been a dealbreaker, and which he must have know would have been. So he's out too.

I think the main reason I don't trust dealers in general is they are selling you CD systems, and they know CD is not up to the systems they sell. So they know what I or anybody knows, which is that all expensive systems do is show up limitations in the medium. Now if they admitted that up front I could have a conversation, but they don't. Hence they are not honest, hence I can't trust them. If anything, I want to downscale my system to the medium. Even though I have SACD there is not enough music in that medium I care about to make it worth investing in. I sometimes listen to vinyl which is a reason to keep the Quad, and I guess the other thing about Quad is they don't only offer a service but will give you other fixes if you ask for them - or they used to anyway...

Edited by David Ayers

If your in London, I would recommend AudioGold in Crouch End, its a very friendly place that specializes in second hand stuff turntables, amps, speakers etc. and even has a record store with a good selection of jazz as a bonus.

I have bought virtually all my gear from them as they take time & allow you to listen to whatever you fancy for as long as you like with the only pressure being if you fancy another of their very fine coffees or not.

http://audiogold.co.uk/

I am sure they could advise you on something suitable and might be even interested in your Quad stuff for exchange.

I'll check out those tips. that said, I am not interested in niche product. Too variable, and I feel like I am paying for somebody's hobby.

Oh and I need 100W RMS into 8ohm.

I can't see going downscale; it will only enhance the limitations. smirk.jpg

You might take a look at this one; good performance and value for money (as these things go):

NAD amp

I'll check out those tips. that said, I am not interested in niche product. Too variable, and I feel like I am paying for somebody's hobby.

You might take a look at this one; good performance and value for money (as these things go):

NAD amp

In my experience NAD amps are several steps down from Quad amps.

NAD amp

In my experience NAD amps are several steps down from Quad amps.

Depends on model. This is a pretty good one. Of course, one could go higher up the scale too.

Based on my narrow tastes and experiences, i would say based on your budget you should try for, in order, Sugden, then Arcam, then Rotel, then NAD. These company all impress me as punching above weight. (I still find it hard to beat the joy I got from a NAD 3020 and large Advents.) And buy the best mini-monitors and sub you can. Speaker placement is where it's at, sit close.

If Quad can do a reconditioning job on your amp & preamp, that's the way I'd go. I've never owned a Quad, but from what I've read they made classic equipment. If Quad can recondition them at a reasonable price, you might have to pay big bucks to do better.

Totally agree. I've owned Quad amps and they were excellent. I still have Quad electrostatic speakers and am very happy with them.