More Irritating Than Jarrett's Groanings

JSngry

• 1 year later...

I saw him live with Paul Motian at the Village Vanguard; it was very peculiar, he was growling like he was a dog. Looking around me, even more oddly, the audience was reacting like this was normal; are they gaslighting me? I couldn't take it and had to leave after one set.

Have you guys heard Masabumi Kikuchi? I am thinking particularly of Paul Motian on Broadway Vol. 4.

Great piano player but his vocalizations sound like Peter Lorre being strangled.

Kikuchi's well worth a listen - with Motian on some of the Broadway and Trio2000 recordings or last year's ECM release was strong. He does out-Jarrett Jarrett on the vocalisation front so avoid if that's going to annoy you. If not, listen to a fine pianist

Kikuchi's well worth a listen - with Motian on some of the Broadway and Trio2000 recordings or last year's ECM release was strong. He does out-Jarrett Jarrett on the vocalisation front so avoid if that's going to annoy you. If not, listen to a fine pianist

well said!

I saw him live with Paul Motian at the Village Vanguard; it was very peculiar, he was growling like he was a dog. Looking around me, even more oddly, the audience was reacting like this was normal; are they gaslighting me? I couldn't take it and had to leave after one set.

Have you guys heard Masabumi Kikuchi? I am thinking particularly of Paul Motian on Broadway Vol. 4.

Great piano player but his vocalizations sound like Peter Lorre being strangled.

kh - I think that might have been my reaction... but who knows maybe you get accustomed?