What happened to MG?

papsrus

He is fine.

For a while, a family member needed his help and it took up a lot of his time, he told me. After that, I just think that he does not want to get involved with online forums any more. He commented in an email to me that even if he cut back his number of posts, it takes so long to read everything on Organissimo that he does not want to get involved with it again.

I suspect that real life intervened and took precedence for him. I have vaguely heard of this "real life" thing. I am not sure what it is, and it sounds scary, so I think I'll just stay here instead.

Thanks HP. Glad to know all's well.

I've kind of tried to scale back my own online time, so I hear you (or rather, hear MG). Organissimo (meaning, the folks here) is too valuable a resource for me to cut the cord altogether, though. But, here's hoping MG is groovin' magnificently, wherever he is.

He is fine.

For a while, a family member needed his help and it took up a lot of his time, he told me. After that, I just think that he does not want to get involved with online forums any more. He commented in an email to me that even if he cut back his number of posts, it takes so long to read everything on Organissimo that he does not want to get involved with it again.

MG is still a moderator here :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Bobby Durham.

and what's his problem? Or, what's your problem with him?

He'll go to hitting that rim on 2 & 4 about as quickly as anybody who's ever lived. That gets on my nerves really badly. I was in the Recovery Room one night when he did that on Marchel, and Marchel turned around and got it stopped immediately. Just one more reason why Marchel remains my hero.

Per precedent, this qualifies him as an anti-musical hack whose work should be digitally edited out of existence, and qualifies me to disregard his basic proven abilities and his work history in the service of furthering my notion that "jazz" is really a lesser music, because, you know, too much improvisation takes away from the compositional perfection that could have been achieved if the parties involved would have been smarter and/or more motivated. Players like Bobby Durham should just cease to exist, period. Go tell it on the mountain!

That's what seems to be all the rage these days, and I don't want to be left too far behind.

Ok, I sarcasticate a little. But that 2 & 4 rim thing of his really has pushed me over the edge more than once in the privacy of mine and/or somebody else's home. It's a swing killer!

He played better and he looked a little pissed. And he stepped down after the tune was over.

Based on the recorded evidence, though, I don't think that the esperience had a lasting effect on him. :g

A few years before he dies, Marchel did the same thing to a younger, much less well-established local player who was sitting in (and let me note that Marchel would be encouraging of people who were still working on their skills, but who had the right feel for his thing. But if you came at him with a feel that he didn't like, especially if you had developed your skills, he'd...let you know :g ) . The guy started hitting that 2 & 4 on the rim, and Marchel turned around and told him none too quietly, "get the knife outta my back, man, get the knife out of my back!"

The younger man looked a lot pissed and did not play better, which is why all this talk of hackdom and worthlessness and such seems to me to be cheap visceral thrills gotten from using evaluations appropriate for one tier of talent on another. I would never call Bobby durham a hack, although I would certainly feel comfortable expressing my opinion that his sense of swing does not stimulate mine, as well as noting the fact that that 2 & 4 rim thing he does stirs a rage in me like few other things do, musically or otherwise.

But I would never call him a hack, because that would just not be accurate. Groove-assassin, yes. Hack, no.

Then again, that's just me.

Jim, does your distaste for the 2&4 rim extend to something like Sam Woodyard playing behind Gonzalves on Ellington's band?

Not at all! Woodyard uses it with authority and hard groove, right in the pocket. Durham (and most others) hit it too light and with the effect of stiffening up the time, not propelling it.

Fine line, I know, and wholly subjective as to where "there" is, but hey...

1322083339' post='1156104']

1322081244' post='1156088']

Jim, does your distaste for the 2&4 rim extend to something like Sam Woodyard playing behind Gonzalves on Ellington's band?

Not at all! Woodyard uses it with authority and hard groove, right in the pocket. Durham (and most others) hit it too light and with the effect of stiffening up the time, not propelling it.

Fine line, I know, and wholly subjective as to where "there" is, but hey...

OK, then. Sorry I blew up...