something's happening here

What do you think?  

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You may recognize the reference to my orignal "paranormal" post but rest assured, nothing has been happening at my house ever since my wife "cleansed" the place.

No, what I have to share is what is going on at the home of one of her friends. The basic facts are that she has been dealing with odd events over a long period of time (as in 20 years or so). Its followed her from the apartment she lived in to the house that she now owns. There have been incidences of being touched, blankets being yanked off the bed in the middle of the night. She suspects that it could be related to an antique dresser/mirror combo that was inherited from her grandparents. She has placed a blanket over the mirror, with no apparent "normal" cause, the covered mirror sometimes vibrates and bangs against the wall.

So, this lady was sitting watching TV one night a week or so ago, and saw a hovering red light in the arched open doorway to her livingroom. She took a photo, which is the dark one that I have attached. Pretty weird, as the light hovers and has at least three distinct brighter spots.

Then we used Office Picture to enhance the photo. The second attachment is the same photo after first clicking "Auto Brightness" and then moving the "mid-tone" adjustment bar to the right, setting 51.

Now the skeptics out there will surely see nothing. Those of us who are a little more open to these things will almost certainly notice that above and to the right of the glowing light there is a very large skull-like face. Two eyes are clearly visible, and below I see an open mouth with teeth.

There are other faces embedded, smaller than the skull, and more noticeable if you increase the size to 200% or 400%.

Really freaky if you ask me. But I am asking you: Do you see what we see?

One more bit of information: The dresser was in the same room that her grandfather occupied when he died. Her grandfather was an evil person. Not just bad, not just unpleasant, but fundamentally evil. He sexually abused his daughter when she was young. He sexually abused his grand daughter, the person who took the photo and has been experiencing the odd events. And last but not least, some of the earliest paranormal events took place 20 years ago when her four year old son, with the dresser in question located in his bedroom, would tell his mom that a "demon got into bed" with him.

post-42-0-09574400-1323288231_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-72418000-1323288239_thumb.jpg

As a complete skeptic I'll stay out of the photo thing - but regarding the 4 year old, kids do say some very strange things. My eldest boy, when he was about that age went through a period of calling me into his room at night and saying that he could see small floating lights (this was long after the lights went out) - he'd point them out and say they were just behind me, or on my shoulder - then they'd float off again. Another time he pointed to the corner of the room and asked me "who's that?". Naturally it gave me the creeps! When he was a little younger he had two invisible friends, who used to help him do DIY(!) - one called Mr Screwdriver and the other called Mr Bosman. I've NO idea where he got that. :unsure:

It's unusual, I would have thought, for a four year old to know the word 'demon'? my suspicious nature would wonder if there wasn't some element of suggestion going on (unintended of course).

Edited by cih

I'd be interested in your view of the picture since you are a skeptic.

What would create the red glowing, which has sources of light within it? Nothing was hanging in the doorway to reflect light from outside. There's also no beam of light in the original photo, its pitch black around the glowing area. Seems to me the only way that would happen is if there was a light source on the other side of the person who took the photo, with the light source being the same angle as the camera was held.

And what of the "enhanced" version? forgetting what may or may not be seen in the residual glow, that is a very bright light to cast such a glow through so much of the open doorway - again indicating its a self-contained light source because a beam of light like a laser pointer wouldn't create a glowing field that big, would it?

well - it reminds me of those photos people take of 'light drawings' - certainly it looks like a small source of light in movement. Like, say, a cigarette - stationery at the top, then moves down diagonally and is stationery again and the length of the exposure catches the movement of the light in a line, with two brighter spots at top and bottom where it is exposed for longer. As for the glow and the faces, to me it's just pixelation - for example the door has purple patches all over which could be interpreted similarly. Hard to say how much of the glow is 'real' and how much is enhanced by the brightening up of the photo. I have no explanation, of course, for what is actually the source of the light!

To be clear, there is no "door". Its an open, arched doorway. So nothing is being reflected - not that you implied it was.

I mentioned the way that the picture was enhanced hoping that people would save the original and do it themselves. What appears to me as a skull is noticeable with even the most minor of enhancements, I've uploaded this particular version because the contrast is most noticeable at this setting.

I don't know, when you start with an unexplained glowing light and then end up with freaky looking enhancements ... :unsure:

Dan, first off I'm very happy that nothing further has been happening in your house!

I can let myself imagine skulls in the image. Ever since I was a kid I could imagine images in patterns such as floor tiles or wall paper in old houses. . . so all I can say is I can let my imagination allow me to see them. Whether there's really anything there. . . that's a question I can't answer or even speculate on.

The glowing light itself? Eerie. If I were there at that moment and saw that with my "naked eyes". . . I'd have been slightly alarmed, to say the least!

Has anyone watched the show the Haunted Collector? It was on the SyFy channel. It hasn't been on recently, but it deals with this subject of haunted objects that cause paranormal activity. The team locate what is causing the haunt then remove the object from the home. The object is then placed in a museum in Connecticut. The person(s) always come back and say the problem stopped.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

Was it Richard Pryor who said that they never could have made "Amityville Horror" about a black family? When the disembodied voice says "Get the fuck out", a black family would be running out the door. :D

Seriously, but along this line of thinking, if this person is freaked out by this situation and thinks it's the old dresser, she should burn the dresser. It's a dresser for crying out loud. You can find another one. Have a bonfire and say goodbye to sicko granpa, if that's what's happening here.

BTW, I have to think that her prior abuse at the hands of her grandfather is not helping her in this situation. I would be willing to be that she sees her grandfather in many ways, especially when she gets upset or frightened. I hope she's seeing a therapist.

Don't really see a skull to the right of the light. Too many textures going on to discern anything.

But the unexplained light is freaky enough on its own.

If it were me, I'd have gotten rid of the dresser the moment I suspected it might be a portal for evil gramps. And really, it seems a little curious why anyone would resist doing so, if they believed it might be a source of the weirdness. Keeping the dresser could even be interpreted as encouraging the events, don't you think?

Let's try a different image. The attached file simply has had the "auto brightness" button applied. So it is darker but without mid-tone changes, there isn't nearly as much "texture" as James describes it, in the photo. I think the skull is in some ways more noticeable because its practically the only thing in the field of red, but to make it obvious, using Paint, I've hand drawn two arrows, one to the eyes (seriously its two euqal sized dark circles in the red field!) and one to the open mouth. That's the send attachment.

Anyone see it now?

post-42-0-00991000-1323439236_thumb.jpg

post-42-0-96475700-1323439248_thumb.jpg

I'd find ghosts comforting, as their existence would indicate there is definitely an afterlife. Has she tried speaking to them? Maybe offering words of comfort, or friendly banter? Maybe the ghosts are just ticked off from being ignored. Maybe it would comfort these souls to have the living recognize their presence in an unexpected way.

The pictures do not appear definitive to me. Although I am a skeptic who doesn't necessarily believe in an afterlife, I'm willing to accept that there are more things than have been revealed by science. As energy cannot be created or destroyed, maybe there's an unknown plane for disembodied energy; energy which retains personalities of individuals past...

Then the science buff in me says, "That's ridiculous, there are no thoughts without a brain to conduct the energy. No thoughts, no personality."

• 1 month later...

Well, there is an update for those interested.

My wife's friend used her Wicca beliefs to 'cleanse' the property. Fascinating process - did you know that doors and windows aren't just architectural constructs to allow entry and exit to a structure? They are also entry and exit points for those of a less corporeal nature. How do you close the entry? Salt.

So - its done, and if done successfully, that would be the end, no more weird things happening. And, that night, what had been a quiet period after the New Year was broken with a lot of loud noises, footsteps, and Sunday morning, in the room where the loudest noises were heard, unexplained scratches in the cabinet door.

Be interesting to see what happens next. If you think its real, it sounds like they only pissed it off.

post-42-0-58367700-1326732298_thumb.jpg

For those of you who brought it up:

-there is an afterlife

-you will be held accoutable for your choices in life and no amount of money, good deeds/intentions or penance is going to help you

As far as the subject matter goes, I'd probably call myself a skeptical believer. I'm skeptical in the sense that I've never experienced such phenomena (and I'd like to keep it that way) and a lot of what is purported as evidence of such phenomena is very sketchy or could just as easily be explained by other occurances. On the other hand, I'm a believer that evil/demons or the otherworldly can make themselves known and have some influence on our world. There's just too much evidence over long periods of time that can't readily be explained away so such phenomena can't be outright dismissed. I find the subject matter fascinating and enjoy learning about it but I would avoid getting involved with it like the plague.

As far as the picture goes, the camera appears to have caught something but I don't know what. Other than the light, I didn't see anything. When I tried seeing something, I imagined I was seeing something in a totally different area than where the original poster imagined seeing something. Several people appear to be seeing several different things so for me, I wouldn't make too much out of the picture. There appears to be something happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear.

Edited by mikelz777

-you will be held accoutable for your choices in life and no amount of money, good deeds/intentions or penance is going to help you

Correct. The sole source of salvation is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and only He decides who gets to visit the sacred beer volcanoes and stripper factory. One small correction: everyone knows that pirates are treated as saints and virtually guaranteed admission to heaven, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that "good deeds/intentions" don't matter.

• 2 months later...

Correct. The sole source of salvation is the Flying Spaghetti Monster, and only He decides who gets to visit the sacred beer volcanoes and stripper factory. One small correction: everyone knows that pirates are treated as saints and virtually guaranteed admission to heaven, so I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that "good deeds/intentions" don't matter.

Ramen!