Music that puts you in a Christmas holiday mood that isn't Christ

Van Basten II

We all know that about 99.9999999 % of Christmas music sucks instead of trying an another freakin' thread about the few ones that are listenable, how about throwing a curveball, let's talk about the music that generates the kinda feeling we're supposed to have while listening to this yuckfest , you know music that makes you feel happy , fuzzy and all warm inside and makes you want to cozy up and celebrate with the loved ones while listening to it. But let's find music that generates it without being marketed for Christmas.

Here's one that for me fits the bill...

Christmas music doesn't have to be saccharine and soggy.

The Ravens' versions of the Christmas songs, for example, are far from being all syrupy.

Neither is Tom Archia's "Swinging for Xmas". :D

As for other music that creates a more cozy, cuddly feeling without being specifically Christmas and wuithout becoming too saccharine, there are many piano jazz trio recordings out there that would (and will) fit MY bill, for example.

This is the time of year that the Duke Pearson Mosaic Select (Xmas album) gets a heavy spin. :)

Thanks for the reminder! I always tend to forget that one 'cause it's hidden in the box ...

I buy some Xmas album I never heard before each year - this time it was Anita Baker's Christmas Fantasy, and it is magnificent!

51WMMAOwwAL._SS400_.jpg

Oh boy!!! I'm a hardcore Christmas music nut, but there's a lotta music that makes me feel Christmas-y while having absolutely nothing to do with Christmas! Such as:

1) "The Unforgettable Fire" by U2 and "Method of Modern Love" by Hall & Oates. The only thing these two have in common is I heard them December 1984 and couldn't hear them enough. Still love 'em, even when it isn't Christmas! Cometothinkofit, there's a LOT of U2 that makes me feel Christmas-y, by virtue of their movie coming out in December of 1988 and I bought WAR, THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE, WIDE AWAKE IN AMERICA, and the RATTLE AND HUM soundtrack. That was pretty much all I listened to on a drive to and from Chicago that Christmas.

2) "Touch and Go" by the Cars. First heard December 1985 on their Greatest Hits tape. (yes, I said "tape")

3) COLTRANE'S SOUND. First heard this December 2001 as part of the HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION box, and the first two tracks became instant favorites.

4) "Like Cockatoos" by the Cure. So my sister and I drove to Chicago by ourselves for the first time in December 1989 and the fighting over the choice of music began before we ever hit the highway. (I had all kinds of variety, only some of which she liked; she had Depeche Mode 101. And that's it!) But we both like the Cure, so we brought KISS ME KISS ME KISS ME along, and we were driving through a particularly pretty stretch of Illinois surrounded by rock formations and trees, which fit the beginning of this song perfectly.

5) SKYLARKING by XTC. Another group whose music, somewhat ironically, makes me feel Christmas-y. First heard them December of 1989 after I'd fallen headoverheels for ORANGES AND LEMONS, and a friend made me a tape (remember, this was before everything was available over a thing called the internet) of tracks from his XTC records (songs from BLACK SEA and BEESWAX). Hard to believe there was a time when my only hope of scoring XTC ANYTHING was going to this import record shop in Schaumburg. I guess 22 years really is a long time ago...

6) THERE'S A RIOT GOIN' ON by Sly & the Family Stone, especially "Africa Talks to You (The Asphalt Jungle)." Checked this out from the Ft Worth library a few Decembers back. Musta played "Asphalt Jungle" a zillion times during the Christmas season. No connection, no statement on the times, just timing. One of the bleakest songs ever recorded puts me in a Christmas mood. Go figure....

There will be more!

Oddly enough, Coltrane's Village Vanguard box. I got it for Christmas one year and played it nonstop. Ever since I've always associated the music with winter and the holidays.

Same for me with the Miles/Gil box.

Also, the Plugged Nickel box, mainly because for a few years (when I still had time for such extended listenings) I listened to each set on the corresponding late Dec day.

Oddly enough, Coltrane's Village Vanguard box. I got it for Christmas one year and played it nonstop. Ever since I've always associated the music with winter and the holidays.

Same for me with the Miles/Gil box.

Also, the Plugged Nickel box, mainly because for a few years (when I still had time for such extended listenings) I listened to each set on the corresponding late Dec day.

Now THAT'S cool!!!!