Riverside Children's Label

JSngry

Here's a link to a list (with some entries missing) of Riverside Wonderland issues: Riverside Wonderland 1400 series (incomplete)

Here's a link to what appears to be a more complete listing (and which appears some additional children's records from Riverside): Riverside/Wonderland Issues

Some of these look like real classics. :unsure:

Regarding Leo Israel, here's a link to an article in the December 16, 1957 issue of Billboard that has a story on page 26 "Riverside to Launch Kidisk Album Prog'm" that might be of interest: 12/16/57 Billboard

Ok, this first one makes sense, but these others...why? And who is/was Leo Israel?

adderley.jpg

RLP1410-BibleStoriesForChildren.jpg

RLP1464-IntroductionToShakespeare.jpg

RLP1415-TheElephantAlphabetAndOtherSongs.jpg

RLP1409-MotherGooseSongs.jpg

RLP1405-ArabianNightsEntertainment.jpg

Two copies on Amazon, each for around $40.

A sealed copy for $25 here: Arabian Nights

Looks like iTunes, Rhapsody, and other services have at least some of the album available.

Cheaper copy here: Another Arabian Nights

It looks like there may be different pressings (and cover art, perhaps) on Riverside, Judson, and Grauer.

I would love to find that Arabian Nights album in a thrift store. Or anyplace else, for that matter.

Considering the size of catalog, I'm wondering whether this was a tax-break thing, or if Bill Grauer had a serious commitment to providing such product to its target market. That Leo Israel guy worked with both Children's Record Guild & Captain Kangaroo, both of whom had a dedication to quality children's product.

Don't know that they struggled as much as they eventually overextended...they had some big sellers, Cannonball, Mongo's Watermelon Man...pretty sure that Wes, Griff, Bill Evans sold respectably, maybe even Johnny Lytle.

I don't think the children's label was a tax dodge, though, not if they put quality into it. Or if it was, it was a tax dodge with a conscience. :g

Leo Israel has credits as a lyricist of several tunes, most in the children's music genre.

However, he also is listed as one of the lyricists (along with Arthur Writ) on an Alec Wilder melody called "Tell Me True" that Jimmy Dorsey recorded on Feb. 4, 1952 for Columbia.

Israel also collaborated on at least two compositions (as lyricist) with Elie Siegmeister. One was a song called "Lazy Afternoon" (not the better known John Latouche song), and another was "Anne Rutledge."

Considering the size of catalog, I'm wondering whether this was a tax-break thing, or if Bill Grauer had a serious commitment to providing such product to its target market. That Leo Israel guy worked with both Children's Record Guild & Captain Kangaroo, both of whom had a dedication to quality children's product.

IN Wonderland rather than ON Wonderland, but I bought this Riverside 4-LP box for my kids about 20 years ago...

IMG_5128.JPG

Actually, I was thinking the other day about the Alice in Wonderland remix done by Randy Greif (in the late 80s/early 90s). I got the first reissue, and then they reissued it again in 2000: http://www.amazon.com/Alice-Wonderland-Randy-Greif/dp/B00004WJAD (Probably not something you would want to share with the kids.)

I believe, but would have to double-check, that this set was the source material.

Edited by ejp626

you have not posted yet the one i had, about a magic rooster, the front cover has the rooster on it.

the record is very strange....a real early childerns record, and it does not sound very fun. its very strange narration with some stranger organ music....very perculiar, dont quite get how a child would enjoy this

blue label riverside, deep groove both sides, in cellophone.......

you have not posted yet the one i had, about a magic rooster, the front cover has the rooster on it.

the record is very strange....a real early childerns record, and it does not sound very fun. its very strange narration with some stranger organ music....very perculiar, dont quite get how a child would enjoy this

Maybe it's a record for sad children.

When I was a kid I remember there was often a strange aura of melancholy about childrens tv shows, music etc... can't think of much specifically (except even the incidental music on popular things like 'Mr Ben' were very affecting and atmospheric) - the story book 'Goonight Moon' is very surreal - I'm sure they put more faith in children's imagination and ability to respond to all sorts of moods than they do now, though top quality kids tv and books are still some of the best and most beautiful stuff being produced out there.