Blue Note Mobile App (iOS) ideas

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here so sorry for the long absence. I'm not sure if this is the right topic to post this thread but it got me to thinking - perhaps alter the subject of this topic to "Jazz In Print And On The Web." Anyway just a thought.

Ok down to business.

I'm currently working with several developers on concepts for Blue Note iOS apps and I thought what better place to harvest feedback and suggestions than the Organissimo board?

The backbone of the project is powered by the data EMI has supplied to The Echo Nest who have assembled a API that devs can use to build applications. Currently there are thousands of tracks (and album art) available (i.e. everything that is available digitally via EMI's digital supply chain) and I've spoken w/ Michael Cuscuna about the use of the Wolff photos and the discography data.

Altogether this is a very powerful data set that gives developers the freedom to build some compelling experiences. Some back of the napkin ideas are top 50 / top 100 tracks / albums or perhaps something that follows the interrelated paths of certain players - think Spellman's Four Lives in the Bebop Business but with a more cross-pollinated thread, i.e. Mobley -> Coltrane -> Chambers -> Clark and how they crossed paths through the years across sessions. I realize I'm not being broad here and only using a very small pocket of years but I hope you get the idea. My hope is that the end result will be the best virtual coffee table book that represents the legacy of the Blue Note label and is both engaging for the purist as well as the newcomer.

This is the most knowledgable collective of jazz connoisseurs on the internet and I wouldn't consider going anywhere else with this info.

I welcome your ideas, feedback and suggestions. Please post them here or, if you want to reach out to me directly you can send me a email @ walter.gross@emimusic.com

Thank you,

Walter Gross aka bluesForBartok

Facebook

Twitter - @walterisgross

http://gplus.to/waltergross

One thing that comes to mind is: complete discography -> links to album cover art -> links to album details -> links to download availability from iTunes. Album details would list musicians on album -> links to other leader/sideman appearances on BN -> see above.

I think there's also a big need for availability of album notes (i.e., back covers). This would be a huge boon in recreating the "owning the album" experience.

Yes, yes, yes.

One thing that comes to mind is: complete discography -> links to album cover art -> links to album details -> links to download availability from iTunes. Album details would list musicians on album -> links to other leader/sideman appearances on BN -> see above.

I think there's also a big need for availability of album notes (i.e., back covers). This would be a huge boon in recreating the "owning the album" experience.

Yes, yes, yes.

Those things would be great.

BTW, "complete discography" should definitely include OOP albums, too.