Mingus Question

Gheorghe

My wife bought me the last Mingus album, the one with Lionel Hampton from late 1977, actually the last album on which Mingus plays bass.

I´d like to ask who has more informations about the originally unissued track "It Might As Well Be Spring". This one sounds somehow unusual to me. While the other tracks are typical Mingus repertoire from that period, the band augmented by other players like Mulligan, Hamp and Woody Shaw, on that mentioned track it sounds much more like a bossa nova tune played just for fun, but who is playing? The solo seems to be trombone, or is it french horn (since one of the musicians listed on the session plays french horn but I don´t have much idea how that instrument sounds as a solo instrument). On the other hand, it´s electric piano and the only occasion on which I heard some electric piano on a "Mingus Session" is Ken Werner on "Something like a Bird".

So my question might be: Is this actually from the same date, is this Mingus playing the bass?

From Tom Lord's Discography

Jazz Showcase : Kai Winding (tb) Frank Strazzeri (p) Kevin Brandon (b) Ted Hawke (d,perc)

Hollywood, CA, June 8, 1977

Black Orpheus Gateway GSLP7022, Mondane CDBL87037 [CD]

At the moment - -

Don't shuffle, just scuffle - -

If you could see me now (*) - -

The surrey with the fringe on top - -

Never let me go - -

Epistrophy - -

It might as well be spring (*,#) - -

Lady be good -

What's new ? -

There is no greater love -

Note: (*) These 2 titles also on Gateway GSLP10113 titled "Kai Winding, Coleman Hawkins, Charles Mingus - Jazz Greats"; "It might as well be spring" is incorrectly credited to Charles Mingus; see September 1, 1977 for two more titles; rest of LP by others mentioned above.

(#) This title also on Who's Who in Jazz WWCD21005 [CD] titled "Charles Mingus - His Final Work"; rest of CD by Charles Mingus; this title has been incorrectly credited to Charles Mingus.

(#) This title also on Cotton Fields 202.4016-2 [CD]; rest of CD by Charles Mingus; this title has been incorrectly credited to Charles Mingus.

All titles from Gateway GSLP7022 also on All At One Happy Price (B)AAOHP93392 [CD] titled "Kay Winding - That's Him"; see flwg session for rest of CD.

Thank you very much, John L.!

You really helped me a lot. I didn´t know the discografical details, but got "ears" enough to notice that this tune doesn´t belong to the rest of the session.

First: The repertory is strictly Mingus compositions.

Second: The bass on that "bossa tune" sounds like the typically run off the mill 70´s sound, like all no name guys would play then, not with that special "sharp" thing Mingus got. Well, Mingus during the time of that session was far from his peak and I´m sure it was a suprahuman effort for him to even pick up the bass, since we know how terrible this ALS desease is. So it´s quite a miracle that Mingus managed to play such a good solo on "Peggy´s Blue´s Skylight" and even tries some 4´s with Danny on a short take of "Remember Rockefeller at Attika aka Just for Laughs". But that "smooth" polished bass sound on "It Might As Well be Spring" could be anybody, any advanced bass student could do that, and the electric piano also seemed strange to me in that context. I noticed the good trombone, well if it´s Kai Winding, that´s clear, but I heard him do much better things.

Last not least: My wife, who gave me that CD as a chrismas present, usually isn´t too wild about the jazz styles I would listen, with some exceptions she´s indifferent to that music, but when I listened to the CD and the track "It Might As WEll.." started, she jumped into the room, smiled and did some dance steps.

P.S.: I also got Bird´s "Rockland Palace" from her: Sure you all know that album and of course "My little Suede Shoes". Guess what happened, I got that CD from her, listened to it the next day, and here starts "My Little Suede Shoes" and she jumps into the room with a big smile and starts to dance, because she likes it, which might not be the case on stuff like "Moose the Mooche"....

P.S.: I also got Bird´s "Rockland Palace" from her: Sure you all know that album and of course "My little Suede Shoes". Guess what happened, I got that CD from her, listened to it the next day, and here starts "My Little Suede Shoes" and she jumps into the room with a big smile and starts to dance, because she likes it....

Your wife has GREAT taste!

Q