Johnny Otis RIP

Spontooneous

If its true, its sad that another important figure in American music of the last century is gone. I came close to ordering one of his books for myself over the holidays but decided to keep to my budget. Can anyone recommend between the several books he wrote? I'd be more interested in his experiences in the music than his socio-political views but I understand if one can't really be separated from the other. So I guess its a question of "which one concentrates the most on the music?"

Thanks. Pretty sure I'd rather read his memoir than Midnight at the Barrelhouse: The Johnny Otis Story by a professor of black studies and sociology. It may have its place but I'd much rather read from the guy who experienced it, not the sociological ramifications asserted by an academic.

LA Times is reporting his death.

link

The attribution is a little iffy, and Johnny's own website doesn't confirm.

Serious question: What became of son guitarist Shuggie Otis? He got some play years ago, then the press seemed to drop him like he had a disease. Anyone know his doings? He seemed pretty talented.

Otis gonna give you his own "sociological ramifications", trust me!

But they are indeed his, and nobody can accuse him of not having the 100% + cred to make them.

I find his writing refreshing, bracing, and totally absent of cheap sweetness, not unlike a good after-shave.

I think Upside Your Head would be exactly what you're looking for, Dan.

RIP to Mr. Otis, and let's all play Snatch And The Poontangs as a history lesson in his honor.

I read it quite a while ago and quite enjoyed it. He used to have a radio show in LA that I loved. He'd ask listeners to call in so I called and told him I'd just been listening to his band backing Ben Webster on Mercury.

link

Serious question: What became of son guitarist Shuggie Otis? He got some play years ago, then the press seemed to drop him like he had a disease. Anyone know his doings? He seemed pretty talented.

According to wikipedia, he may have a new release out this year.

This is very sad, though at 90 it was to be expected.

Thanks for the great music and for all your talent scouting, Mr Otis!

I think Upside Your Head would be exactly what you're looking for, Dan.

RIP to Mr. Otis, and let's all play Snatch And The Poontangs as a history lesson in his honor.

I read it quite a while ago and quite enjoyed it. He used to have a radio show in LA that I loved. He'd ask listeners to call in so I called and told him I'd just been listening to his band backing Ben Webster on Mercury.

I agree that Upside Your Head is the one to go for if you primarily want the story of his music (though that one could have been fleshed out a little here and there but probably it never was meant to be a full documentary in the stricter sense of the word).

Have started reading Midnight At The Barrelhouse but put it away for the time being as the "sociological" doings became a bit overbearing a bit too early in the book (and in places where the story of teh music ought to have predominated) IIRC but will probably pick it up again shortly.

Have never read Listen To The Lambs but understand this dwells pretty much on societal issues too (understandably, considering the time it was written).

A man who wore many hats - band leader, musician, song writer, talent scout, record label owner, disc jockey, author - to name some of them. And a man who gave the impression of enjoying the life he lived.

Thanks, Mr. Otis. We're all one of a kind but some, like you were, are just a little more so.

Edited by paul secor

link

someone told me that Shuggie is married to Gerald Wilson's daughter.

Are there any anthologies that give a good overview of Johnny Otis' work? Perhaps spmething from our good friends at Ace/Kent?

Aside from the two "The Legendary Johnny Otis Show" vinyl twofers on Savoy (OOP but not impossible to find secondhand, I guess), you will be served pretty well at Ace indeed:

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=53&searchtype=1&searchterm=Johnny+Otis

This one has a very good cross-section of 50s Otis band and Otis dicoveries recordings combined with period radio spots and announcements (sometimes a bit contrived but well ...):

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=849

This one also gives a nice overview

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=8754

but this one looks tempting among the 50s stuff too as a lot of it is previously unissed and therefore should fill a few gaps:

http://www.acerecords.co.uk/content.php?page_id=59&release=453

Edited by Big Beat Steve

This corvers his early years with Savoy.

This one covers his rock 'n roll years with Capitol.

Snatch & the Poontangs is a rerelease of two albums - Cold Shot - Johnny Otis' "comeback album - and Snatch & the Poontangs - down & dirty - lyrically & musically - r&b.

Rock Me Baby is a European collection of his Mercury and Peacock sides - worth the price just to hear Ben Webster on "One Nighter Blues".

edit: Dig These Blues is a great compilation of blues

sides produced by Johnny Otis for his Ultra, Dig, and Eldo labels in the 1950's and early 1960's.

Edited by paul secor