Chet Baker & Crew

Daniel A

In July of 1956 Chet Baker recorded several sessions at the Forum Theatre in Los Angeles. Some of the material was issued on the 'Chet Baker & Crew' album on Pacific Jazz. All the selections issued on the CD release of this album, including some six bonus cuts, are in stereo. In 2004 Blue Note released a CD called 'Young Chet'. It contains additional tracks recorded between July 24 and July 31, two of which are featuring just the rhythm section with Phil Urso. All of those are in mono according to the AMG review. I have one of these tracks on a Japanese CD reissue of the Pacific Jazz sampler 'Jazz West Coast'(TOCJ-5614) where it's also in mono.

The AMG review says that "the seven tracks featured on Young Chet remained shelved for nearly half a century because no stereo masters could be located. They are presented here in monophonic no worse for wear." I suppose the reviewer got this from the liner notes of the CD (which I don't own).

This does not seem entirely right. They were in fact released on a variety of Pacific Jazz samplers or on labels like Crown or Jazztone, although as far as I can tell they were all in mono. There was a mono (cat.no 1224) and a stereo (ST 1004?) release of the original album. But a lot of the additional tracks were not on the LP, so the stereo tapes must have been around for a while. Did the bonus tracks of 'Chet Baker & Crew' appear in stereo for the first time on the 1993 CD release?

What's funny is that the 2003 issue (the McMaster one, I stuck to the 1993 Addey version, never did compare them) says that #9 and #14 were previously unissued, when they were on the 1993 version as well:

51d1QvGUeYL._SS400_.jpg

Can't help with your question, don't even know if the 1993 CD is in mono or stereo.

A book on Pacific Jazz? Good news indeed! PJ was a significant label that deserves a volume of its own. As has been noted in another thread it is also in need of a proper labelography (as well as a discography).

Indeed - that is what Jim is wading his way through

Probably the best person to answer this would be Jim Harrod - He's in the process of writing a book on the PJ label.

I've communicated a number of times over the past few years regarding PJ discography details. He does venture onto the board

occasionally.

Where to begin?

I believe that the first CD reissue of CHET BAKER & CREW was on the EMI MANHATTAN “Mosaic like” box set, THE PACIFIC JAZZ COLLECTION, where it was part of a double CD set with the other CD being the Mulligan/Konitz sides. There were two other double CD sets in this collection for a total of six CD reissues of Pacific Jazz material. The mastering for this reissue was done by Ron McMaster in 1989 and I believe that all eight tunes from the original tape masters are stereo versions, no bonus tracks were included in this release. To put it in perspective, these were the early years of recording in stereo for Pacific Jazz and most of the time you can ID the piano on the right channel and the drums and bass on the left. One of the earliest stereo sessions for PJ was the Forum session with Kamuca and Touff that was done by Gerry McDonald and those tapes never were released. McDonald night have been involved in these Baker sessions as well, don’t know for certain.

Regarding the seven tracks issued on YOUNG CHET:

EXTRA MILD

Issued on Jazztone 1253 (mono), Crown CLP 5317 (mono), Crown CST 317 (stereo), United US-7805 (stereo), JWC-510 (mono). The last item was titled Jazz West Coast, Volume 4. This album was also issued in the 1000 stereo series as STEREO-1009 and in the 500 series as STEREO-510, but EXTRA MILD was dropped and MUSIC TO DANCE TO inserted in its place as track two on side one. PJ listed this tune incorrectly as MUSIC TO DANCE BY (same mistake repeated on the CD reissue).

A NIGHT ON BOP MOUNTAIN

Issued on Jazztone 1253 (mono).

DOWN

Issued on Jazztone 1253 (mono).

TABOO

Issued on Jazztone 1253 (mono), PACIFIC JAZZ PJ-75 (mono). Both issues used the TABU spelling.

I CAN’T GET STARTED

Jazz West Coast JWC-505 (mono).

IT’S ONLY A PAPER MOON

Jazz West Coast JWC-505 (mono).

AUTUMN IN NEW YORK

Jazz West Coast JWC-506 (mono).

Regarding the bonus tracks on the 1993 CD reissue, stereo release for the first time?

TO MICKEY’S MEMORY (ALT TAKE)

This appears to be the first release.

JUMPIN’ OFF A CLEF

Crown CST 317 (stereo), United US-7805 (stereo). I use AMADEUS PRO for digital transfers from vinyl and there was little difference between the sound wave profiles, left and right channels. Crown has a reputation for bogus stereo releases. The release on JWC-508 (THE HARD SWING) was mono.

CHIPPYIN’

This appears to be the first release. The release on JWC-508 (THE HARD SWING) was mono.

PAWNEE JUNCTION

Crown CST 317 (stereo), United US-7805 (stereo).

MUSIC TO DANCE BY (sic)

Stereo 1009 and Stereo-510.

LINE FOR LYONS

This appears to be the first release.

It wasn’t mentioned in this tread, perhaps on a previous post to the group, but the versions of HALEMA on the CD reissues of CHET BAKER & CREW and DEEP IN A DREAM all time at around 3:53. The version on PJ-1224 (mono), WP-1224 (mono), Crown CLP 5317 (mono), Crown CST 317 (stereo) and United US-7805 (stereo) all time at 4:35. The stereo versions, Stereo-1224 and Stereo-1004, are edited with Phil Urso’s solo commencing at around 1:31 into the tune. The longer (full?) version has the ensemble opening continuing to 2:15 where Urso’s solo begins. So it appears that Bock edited HALEMA for the stereo releases on World Pacific but the longer full version was given to Crown/United?

Just recently I have been introduced to two new, to me, “ographies” – a solography mentioned in Richard Brody’s blog on Dick Wilson:

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/movies/2012/01/mr-wilsons-musical-wonders.html

and Daniel A’s reference to Pacific Jazz needing a proper labelography. Would appreciate some recommendations on published labelographies.

The idea of a proper Pacific Jazz discography is admirable but the lack of specific data for much of the label’s output would seem to make achieving that an impossibility. I have been sending data to Tom Lord steadily over the years, and leave the task of discography to folks like Tom who devote their full time to such projects.

As the timeline for completing the history of the label draws out I am aware of the changing nature of publishing and the increasing popularity of digital books and the possibility of including audio (I have lots of taped interviews, etc.). Publishers are also notorious for restricting photos and illustrations to keep costs down, but electronic media does not pose these same cost restrictions. I would love to have full color reproductions of every PJ/WP album cover included in the book. Exciting times, will have to see what develops.

Thanks to Daniel A for brining this topic up on the board. It has been a pleasure to listen to these tracks again.

Many thanks to James Harrod for providing me with a more extensive answer than I would have hoped for (and to romualdo for bringing this thread to James' attention)!

I do not own any issued labelography; my experience comes solely from what is available on the web. My previous thread about Pacific Jazz and World Pacific labels can be found here:

Many thanks to James Harrod for providing me with a more extensive answer than I would have hoped for (and to romualdo for bringing this thread to James' attention)!

I do not own any issued labelography; my experience comes solely from what is available on the web. My previous thread about Pacific Jazz and World Pacific labels can be found here:

Sorry that I missed that thread. I was fortunate back when I was acquiring most of my collection to have unlimited access to Leon Leavitt's warehouse. Leon allowed me to roam the aisles as I searched for variations in PJ/WP releases. Leon had multiple copies of most PJ/WP releases, for instances his Chet Baker shelf ran for about twenty five feet. I gave a presentation on the label at the last LAJI event in May. Here is the slide where I discussed the introduction of the WP logo in the line:

/Users/jamesharrod/Desktop/slide.jpg

post-10688-0-98538900-1328390863_thumb.j

• 3 months later...

I want to thank Groove Merchant and others on this forum for suggesting that a PJ/WP labelography was needed. I have embarked on that project and currently have ten entries on my blog covering the label. I have included some history and remarks to add to what might be a dry presentation if it were simply jpegs of labels. The address is:

pacificjazz.blogspot.com

I am also doing a blog on the Calliope label here:

callioperecords.blogspot.com

By necessity that blog will include a lot of background on the Stars of Jazz series that was the source for all of the Calliope releases.

Jim

I am also doing a blog on the Calliope label here:

callioperecords.blogspot.com

By necessity that blog will include a lot of background on the Stars of Jazz series that was the source for all of the Calliope releases.

Jim

Thanks Jim, for that Calliope blog - I always wondered about some details of the Cal Tjader appearances on that series. Your blog clears them. I suppose you have the sheets for the sessions on this too:CalliopeCAL 3011 Sessions, Live - Cal Tjader, Chico Hamilton

So the dates on the Calliope LPs always are the recording dates, not those of the broadcast?

Very interesting, Jim. I see the Warne Marsh Quintet's performance from "Stars of Jazz" (supposedly recorded at ABC on 3/11/1957) has recently been released on Fresh Sounds. It's a fine performance. Was it ever broadcast, I wonder... Too bad some stateside labels (apart from Calliope, or with more distribution) didn't pick up on this stuff. What happened to all the video tapes?

Q