Mosaic free shipping or 50% off int'l shipping until Feb.14

J.A.W.

Shaft, the MJQ is an awesome set!

romauldo, I'd go for the Buddy Rich, it's a great set and it's the one that is "endangered" right now.

That's what I was leaning toward (contains contributions by Sonny Criss & Willie Smith)

Also a big :tup for The MJQ set - sound quality is superb

Edited by romualdo

Gonna go for the Cohn/Newman select plus one of the following

Buddy Rich (running low)

or

Louis Armstrong

or

Benny Goodman

or

Oliver Nelson (this looks a bit piecemeal)

any words of wisdom from the board?

Of those you listed I have 'em all but the Armstrong. The Armstrong will be around for a while. The Rich is running low, I love the session with Sweets and Sonny Criss (brilliant playing), there is a cool session with Basie sidemen and Ben Webster that is cool and a small big band session that SWINGS! I really do not like the CD with flute and vibes, very annoying timbre to my ears.. Overall I play this set quite often. The Benny Goodman set is really good as well, but has a ton of alternate tracks....the bands always sound good and Benny is a god on clarinet. The Oliver Nelson set, to me, is interesting---I don't play it that much. I bought it because of the top notch sidemen in the bands, sound quality is superb. There are some good Phil Woods moments, and I like the Jimmy Smith sessions. Oh, the Cohn/Newman/Green set is SO hip. That music never gets old!!!!

You can't go wrong with ANY of those sets on your list, but because the Rich is closest to being OOP, I would suggest it. There is a lot of great music in the set, and Buddy is fantastic.

Just my two cents!

Buddy Rich (running low)

or

Louis Armstrong

or

Benny Goodman

or

Of those you listed I have 'em all but the Armstrong. The Armstrong will be around for a while. The Rich is running low, I love the session with Sweets and Sonny Criss (brilliant playing), there is a cool session with Basie sidemen and Ben Webster that is cool and a small big band session that SWINGS! I really do not like the CD with flute and vibes, very annoying timbre to my ears.. Overall I play this set quite often. The Benny Goodman set is really good as well, but has a ton of alternate tracks....the bands always sound good and Benny is a god on clarinet. The Oliver Nelson set, to me, is interesting---I don't play it that much. I bought it because of the top notch sidemen in the bands, sound quality is superb. There are some good Phil Woods moments, and I like the Jimmy Smith sessions. Oh, the Cohn/Newman/Green set is SO hip. That music never gets old!!!!

You can't go wrong with ANY of those sets on your list, but because the Rich is closest to being OOP, I would suggest it. There is a lot of great music in the set, and Buddy is fantastic.

Just my two cents!

I've thought about getting the Buddy Rich set and I've listened to audio clips over and over again (at one time Amazon Germany had audio clips of the whole set), but I can't get over his LOUD playing and him being so much in the foreground in the mix on many tracks. Much of the music is good to excellent; unfortunately, the emphatic presence of Mr Rich spoils it for me. Let me add that I'm not a Buddy Rich fan, but that was already pretty clear, I guess :)

Edited by J.A.W.

Buddy Rich (running low)

or

Louis Armstrong

or

Benny Goodman

or

The Buddy Rich is a really fine set. If you feel drawn to it, I'd grab it now before it goes. Also, I really like the Oliver Nelson set.(It's not piecemeal in my view, but consists, for the most part, of full albums).

• 1 month later...

Wow! My condolences. Usually they state when a set is backordered on the site.

Well, they did...

I don't believe it said that back in February. In fact, Scott told me I shouldn't have been able to order it during the "Free shipping" sale because it was on backorder but he looked it up and my order was in the system. If the website had said "This set is currently on backorder", I wouldn't have even wondered where it was. I would've just waited it out. But wow! 9-10 months to get it back in stock? Are things that bad out there? Should I expect that I won't even get it if they don't get enough orders to justify another press run?