You Can Do Anything!

JSngry

I can't get past the fact that the last guest on the video looks just like Harry Potter - who is responsible for many adults wrongly believing they read books.

Wow - you apparently know enough about the Harry Potter films to almost recognize the actor who portrayed the title character, and to also somehow conclude that multiple 800 page volumes of a story told in written form don't actually constitute books.

Make no doubt about it - I wish people read better books than the Harry Potter series. But I'm equally certain that they are, in fact, books and therefore those who read them are reading ... books.

just kidding. I have seen the first couple of Potter films countless times. The others are too scary for my kids so I'm not fully used to his adult-style face yet.

Of course the kids who go to Hogwarts really can do anything, and don't have to envisage a future behind the counter at JJB Sports

Edited by cih

like I said, just pulling your leg about those books - I just thought it was ironic that's all. As was mentioned earlier, I see this as a problem for only some members of society - getting too much praise and opportunity. But I think on the whole schools and parents encourage effort, even if the media appears to encourage the 'x' factor

like I said, just pulling your leg about those books - I just thought it was ironic that's all. As was mentioned earlier, I see this as a problem for only some members of society - getting too much praise and opportunity. But I think on the whole schools and parents encourage effort, even if the media appears to encourage the 'x' factor

My comment was meant mainly to address Dan's "read better books" statement. I think the majority of the Harry Potter books were well written. The last couple could have used some editing but I think Rowling got too big which led to her having carte blanche in the end.

But let's get back to these kids that can do anything! :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16879336

From a posh girls' school so these lessons probably go alongside ones on 'What to do if Daddy turns down his annual bonus because the media and vote-hunting MPs are hounding him'.

Also related in the 'Don't they know anything today?' corner:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16896661

I did read Dickens at school - left me with a lifetime's hatred of him! My oversight, I know, but... Elliot, Austen, Hardy, the Brontes, fine. The difference is that I first read those from around 20. Maybe in retirement I'll try again.

Edited by A Lark Ascending

I did read Dickens at school - left me with a lifetime's hatred of him! My oversight, I know, but... Elliot, Austen, Hardy, the Brontes, fine. The difference is that I first read those from around 20. Maybe in retirement I'll try again.

Do. I felt the same way and now love Dickens (though I never hated Dickens quite as much as I hated Eliot. Floss this, bozo...).

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16879336

From a posh girls' school so these lessons probably go alongside ones on 'What to do if Daddy turns down his annual bonus because the media and vote-hunting MPs are hounding him'.

and meanwhile, at the other end of the social scale, 'trying and failing' is embraced at an early age...

A snapshot survey suggests many primary school staff are noticing a rise in the number of children wetting or soiling themselves.. "we accept them anyway as we operate in a deprived area and attendance at nursery is usually deemed to be in the child's best interest."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-16906442

But remember: after all, Dumbledore is gay :rolleyes:

Oh yeah - some people were even more upset than that:

dumbledore_tatt.jpg?h=390&w=280

"PROUD Paul Croft got a tattoo of Harry Potter wizard Albus Dumbledore on his back - but is now being teased by pals after he was outed as GAY.

Proud Paul, 36, spent a YEAR having the Hogwarts headmaster etched into his skin as a surprise for his five kids.

But the factory worker has been the butt of jokes ever since Harry Potter author JK Rowling revealed last week that Dumbledore was in love with a fellow male sorcerer.

Paul, of Nottingham, moaned yesterday: "It's been terrible. I've always liked Dumbledore - just not in that way."

http://reason.com/blog/2007/10/29/harry-potter-and-the-tattoo-of

On the other hand... (courtesy of James Taranto):

This August 2011 column by ESPN's D.J. Gallo speaks for itself:

"There is still one area where we Americans are still No. 1: self-esteem. Yes, a study published last November in Psychology Today found that, thanks to going criticism-free from parents and educators for decades, today's American students feel they will make outstanding parents, spouses and workers--even if they've accomplished nothing in or out of the classroom to merit such positive feelings about themselves. We might be dumb, but we're proud of it! . . .

"Which brings us to Eli Manning and the state of the American quarterback. On Tuesday, Manning -- again: this is Eli Manning, not Peyton Manning -- told ESPN Radio 1050 in New York that he considers himself to be in the same class as Tom Brady. Last year Manning led the NFL in interceptions and was 17th in passer rating. He has a quarterback rating of 80.2 for his career. I would compare his production to Brady's, but I fear doing irreparable damage to Eli's burgeoning self-esteem.

"Unfortunately, Manning is not the only NFL quarterback with delusions of grandeur."

On the other hand... (courtesy of James Taranto):

This August 2011 column by ESPN's D.J. Gallo speaks for itself:

"There is still one area where we Americans are still No. 1: self-esteem. Yes, a study published last November in Psychology Today found that, thanks to going criticism-free from parents and educators for decades, today's American students feel they will make outstanding parents, spouses and workers--even if they've accomplished nothing in or out of the classroom to merit such positive feelings about themselves. We might be dumb, but we're proud of it! . . .

"Which brings us to Eli Manning and the state of the American quarterback. On Tuesday, Manning -- again: this is Eli Manning, not Peyton Manning -- told ESPN Radio 1050 in New York that he considers himself to be in the same class as Tom Brady. Last year Manning led the NFL in interceptions and was 17th in passer rating. He has a quarterback rating of 80.2 for his career. I would compare his production to Brady's, but I fear doing irreparable damage to Eli's burgeoning self-esteem.

"Unfortunately, Manning is not the only NFL quarterback with delusions of grandeur."

After yesterday, Eli's got a point!

Seriously, though, I think a professional athlete boasting confidence is all part of the game - sort of like the "any given Sunday" meme.

just kidding. I have seen the first couple of Potter films countless times. The others are too scary for my kids so I'm not fully used to his adult-style face yet.

Of course the kids who go to Hogwarts really can do anything, and don't have to envisage a future behind the counter at JJB Sports

Oh yeah? :g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKNXj4iHNsw