JATPs from 1949 till now on!

mmilovan

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there is some JATP concert in Germany issued on CD with Pres, Oscar and Eldridge.

Flurin, you did fantastic search through all this files!

Milan, the one from Germany is this here:

Frankfurt 1952

d07257wkkad.jpg

(two post above you have the link to AMG)

Mike has mentioned this one, too.

We can save some and get these, Milan. At least those from the fifties do sound interesting (Frankfurt 52, Stockholm '55, Carnegie '49 - not on Verve set, I guess? -, and Hartfort & Tokoy '53.

Still: anyone able to comment on any of these discs?

And: is that Pablo/Fantasy Carnegie Hall 49 CD NOT in the JATP Complete 44-49 box? Anyone can confirm this?

thanks,

ubu

(PS: Milan, I jumped over the fence and yesterday finally ordered the Basie Decca (in GRP version) from Amazon. They'll send it out today! WOWEE!)

I think there is some JATP concert in Germany issued on CD with Pres, Oscar and Eldridge.

Flurin, you did fantastic search through all this files!

Milan, the one from Germany is this here:

Frankfurt 1952

d07257wkkad.jpg

(two post above you have the link to AMG)

Nope :) that's not the one I saw somewhere on search engine.

The one I saw was JATP (from 1952. or 1953.) recorded in Germany (Berlin, maybe). I am positively sure about two of musicians indulged in it: Oscar Peterson and Lester Young.

(PS: Milan, I jumped over the fence and yesterday finally ordered the Basie Decca (in GRP version) from Amazon. They'll send it out today! WOWEE!)

Flurin,

now your trip can begin.

Can I recomend you to listen to "Lady Be Good" Big Band version form that set - not well known to general public version that has some colorfull, funny licks Pres played to cut Chu Berry.

Not strictly JATP material but really close are the Jam Sessions from the Jubilee Shows which were issued by Jazz Unlimited (JUCD 2054) in a CD titled 'A Jumpin,Jubilee'. Among the jam sessions are excerpts from a Jubilee broadcast for the Army from April 1946 with a lineup similar to the JATP concert that is on Disc 4 of the Complete JATP 1944-1949 Verve box.

The players are Buck Clayton, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Kenny Kersey, Irving Ashby, Billy Hadnott and Shadow Wilson. All the musicians from the JATP concert with Shadow Wilson taking over from Buddy Rich.

On the features sides, Lester Young plays a 'D.B. Blues' (Lesterian irony I trust to include this at a concert to be broadcast on the Army radio network) that is even better than the Aladdin version of the composition. Coleman Hawkins has a hard time keeping up to this when he is up next for solos with his version of 'Body and Soul'.

Not strictly JATP material but really close are the Jam Sessions from the Jubilee Shows which were issued by Jazz Unlimited (JUCD 2054) in a CD titled 'A Jumpin,Jubilee'. Among the jam sessions are excerpts from a Jubilee broadcast for the Army from April 1946 with a lineup similar to the JATP concert that is on Disc 4 of the Complete JATP 1944-1949 Verve box.

The players are Buck Clayton, Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Kenny Kersey, Irving Ashby, Billy Hadnott and Shadow Wilson. All the musicians from the JATP concert with Shadow Wilson taking over from Buddy Rich.

On the features sides, Lester Young plays a 'D.B. Blues' (Lesterian irony I trust to include this at a concert to be broadcast on the Army radio network) that is even better than the Aladdin version of the composition. Coleman Hawkins has a hard time keeping up to this when he is up next for solos with his version of 'Body and Soul'.

brownie, the Jubilee material, is that "I Got Rhythm" (8:33), "Oh, Lady Be Good" (4:04) and "Sweet Georgia Brown" (8:20)?

The "D.B. Blues" clocks in at 3:52 and has Lester with Kersey, Hadnott and Wilson, yes?

If so, that's the same material also on the Jass CD "Prez Conferences".

Or does the Jubilee disc include more?

Wonderful music! "D.B. Blues" is great indeed! Was the first music I listened this morning!

ubu

On the features sides,  Lester Young plays a 'D.B. Blues' (Lesterian irony I trust to include this at a concert to be broadcast on the Army radio network) that is even better than the Aladdin version of the composition.

Yes, I simply can not understand how Lester appeared through army broadcast if he was dishonourable mentioned after Army service.

Flurin,

that Jass CD is not complete speaking of Jubilee recordings.

Hope it is better with Storywille issue.

Edited by mmilovan

Not strictly JATP material but really close are the Jam Sessions from the Jubilee Shows which were issued by Jazz Unlimited (JUCD 2054) in a CD titled 'A Jumpin,Jubilee'.

Coincidentally, I just picked this up the other day...it's a lot of fun. The sound is great (my guess is that it was recorded in a Hollywood studio in front of an audience of some type--maybe someone knows more specifically how these were made). Remastering by JRT Davies. Bobby Hackett sounds beautiful on Sept. in the Rain

How about jam/regular groups - the 1957 US JATP tour

(...)

Now the 1993 reissue of the Hawk/Little Jazz material adds an extended jam on "Stuffy" (with Roy, J.J., Getz, Hawk, Prez, Lewis, Heath, Kay), without giving information where this one was originally released.

My question: were there always some all star concerts & jams included? Or just like everybody gathered at the end of the show to do one number together (as could have been the case with "Stuffy")?

Is it Lester there?

Today, I grabbed that disc form bunch of few others, and on cover there is no mention of Lester being present with Bean, J.J., Roy, Papa Jo and others. As I understand solo on Stuffy belongs to Getz, not to Lester (but it is very lestersque, I must say).

I listen to 15 minutes track, and can not recognize Lester.

What was exactly the case?

Not familiar with that 'Stuffy' or with a couple of JATP All Stars sides from another 1957 concert which have Stitt, Lester, Jacquet, Phillips, Peterson et al playing 'The Slow Blues' and 'Merry Go Round'. Came out on Verve.

But on one of the JATP Verve reissue albums that came out in 1985, there is one LP entitled 'Lester Young, Carnegie Blues'. This one has sides that were not issued before. From the October 19, 1957 concert at the Chicago Civic Opera House.

A ballad medley has Illinois Jacquet playing 'Robbins' Nest', Lester Young playing 'Polka Dots and Moonbeams' and Flip Phillips playing 'Can't We Be Friends'.

Milan - could it not be that what you hear as a Getz solo is actually Getz and after a seamless change, Pres? I am not sure, but I thought this could be the case. The solos is not so smooth at the end as it is in the beginning. I don't have the CD at hand, but I can tell you some later time at which point in time I think Lester's solo could eventually start.

ubu

I really like the date from 1950 with Roy and Pres that Verve released on LP in the 1980s as "Norgran Blues."  Pres on Ghost of a Chance is a knockout.  I assume that this still unavailable on CD?

John, yes looks like that concert did not make it on CD. Just to correct: the trumpet player is Harry 'Sweets' Edison, not Eldridge.

This thread calls for the need of a second JATP box covering the concerts from the year 1950 on. Lots of great material that is being kept unavailable.

This thread calls for the need of a second JATP box covering the concerts from the year 1950 on. Lots of great material that is being kept unavailable.

Lots of pre-1950 material not included on the 10CD box, too, it seems!

First, they could do a 1944-1949 vol. 2, then go into the fifties and sixties...

By the way, what is the reason that the 44-49 box includes a 52 concert?

ubu

Milan - could it not be that what you hear as a Getz solo is actually Getz and after a seamless change, Pres? I am not sure, but I thought this could be the case. The solos is not so smooth at the end as it is in the beginning. I don't have the CD at hand, but I can tell you some later time at which point in time I think Lester's solo could eventually start.

ubu

I will have to listen to that again!

About quasi 1952 date - still I belive it can be 1949 or 1950 date, not 1952. This was transition period for Pres, and he sound just like that - but it is the Pres I like the most!

By the way, what is the reason that the 44-49 box includes a 52 concert?

ubu

As a dear now retired colleague of mine used to say: 'That's another case of RFM'

The Contents Note inside the JATP box booklet indicates that the Gene Krupa portion was part of a LP that included a Leonard-Feather promoted 1947 concert.

The Gene Krupa portion which was actually from a 1952 concert was included in the JATP box to present that LP in its entirety.

• 5 months later...

Fantasy lists some more: http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/jatp_cat.html and http://www.fantasyjazz.com/catalog/jatp_cat2.html

Several by some artist, some of those Montreux jams, and:

- Stockholm 1955, The Exciting Battle

- the recently released JATP at Carnegie Hall 1949

- JATP the Greatest Concert in the World (3CD)

- JATP, Jazz at the Santa Monica Civic '72 (3CD)

Anyone can comment on any of the available releases?

ubu

Flurin,

I stumbled across the Santa Monica Civic '72 disc here in Bonn for - listen up - 2 Euro for the double set at a second hand dealer. It#s manufactured by Polydor K.K., Japan KA 8506 (was sold for 5,800 Yen that time).

Count Basie is positively smoking on this one here, and one of my fave Basie tunes, Blues in Hoss Flat (by the great Frank Foster) is just marvelous. And the sound for such an early double disc is just damn good.

The only downfall is, in my eyes, the Fitzgerald stuff. All those "in" tunes like You've Got a Friend etc, just don't cut it and are suckin' up to the audience of the time ... although she does pick up again at the end with the whole JAT"P" team on C Jam Blues.

The rest is grand stuff (besides one more turkey in my eyes, Peterson and Brown doing "You are my sunshine" ... I'm a Peterson AND Brown fan, but no thanx here). I'm swingin' all over the place to the Basie stuff. Basie was just it. There's a marvelous longer piano ditty he does on here which just cracked me up (and which swings like hell).

And for 2 Euro there was even enough left for a wonderful German white wine which I'm enjoying in the sun at the moment.

Cheers, in the best sense of the word!