MLB 2012 Season

1343837315' post='1214775']

1343826929' post='1214733']

1343415551' post='1213813']

Longest running rivalry in the history of MLB featuring the Giants vs the Dodgers renews again tonight!

Cain on the mound.

GO Giants!

Surely you've heard of the Yankees and Red Sox. Just sayin'.

Giants/Dodgers go back some 112 years....almost 2200 games...longest rivalry & most games played any 2 teams.

Surely you've heard both teams originally came from NYC? Just sayin' :w

Giants and Dodgers were in the NL together as of 1890. The Highlanders (now known as the Yankees) were founded in Baltimore as the Orioles and moved to NY in 1903.

Edited by Brad

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Phillies seem to be blowing up the team. I get trading Victorino. But why trade Hunter Pence? I know he gets paid very well, but he's only 29, and plays with a ton of energy. If the Giants get him, it will give them a huge boost. And most importantly, something for Mike Schwartz and Goodspeak to finally agree on!

Back to the Phils though. I'm not seeing ML ready pieces coming back, at least in the spotty info I am seeing. So do they trade Cliff Lee too? Roy? Boy, Cole Hamels must be kicking himself right now.

Trading two outfielders(one of which that will be a FA in two months) is not "blowing up" the team. Why get rid of Pence? Are you serious? He's a good complimentary player that is getting paid star money - $10M this season and he's eligible for arbitration next year(estimates are $13-15) That's a lot of coin for a player that can't field, throws like a girl, strikes out too much, is terrible with RISP, and doesn't know how to run the bases. But hey he's got a TON of energy. The Phillies are getting Schierholtz (who always comes up with a clutch hit vs. the Phillies it seems), the Giants # 2 overall prospect , a young arm, and most importantly they get to dump salary. I like it.

I don't think Lee was ever seriously on the market. That was just Amaro messing with the media's heads. Maybe soemthing will happen in the off season but it all depends upon Halladay's health.

The Phillies don't need to rebuild, just reload. Get a third baseman that can hit for power and field, grab Michael Bourn, and do something about the BP. Big "to do" list but not impossible.

I think you are forgetting your team has had no offense to support Pence this year.

Last 3 years with runners on, .309, with RISP, Pence is hitting .301

http://espn.go.com/m...g3/hunter-pence

Who lead the team in HR's , RBI's and hits? Pence. He shouldn't be a clean-up hitter, but he has had to be this season.

Pence may throw like a girl(then what does Juan Pierre throw like? ) but that girl usually gets outs with her arm, at least in past years http://www.nj.com/ti...ure_outfie.html

It just seams to me the Phils really need offense. If this frees up a bit of money to sign some guys, great...but the offense sucked before the trades...and I am seeing they got guys like a AA catcher. No 3rd basemen? No LF, CF, RF??

Ain't gonna get Michael Bourn , braves can actually afford him since we won't be spending money on Zack Greinke or Asshole Dempster in 2013(Hey, hope he's great with the Rangers, Rangers fans, but still a dick and a half!)

Let's look at Pence's 2012 #s - Yeh he gives you a power bat but not when you need it the most. With RISP he was hitting a meager .238 with the Phillies. Hasn't done any better since the trade - now his avg. w/ RISP is down to .227. Yes he was leading the team in HRs & RBIs but that 's bc Howard missed 1/2 the season and his RBI total was just 2 more than Chooch even though he played in 6 more games. Also it's interesting that you use the Outfield Runs Saved stat. His numbers in that category have been declining the each year since 2009 and this season he's currently at a -6. Not a good trend. Also check out this little tidbit..

"Both players(Victorino and Pence) rate poorly in a specific defensive metric -- Plus/Minus on balls hit to the deepest part of the ballpark. Victorino is last among major league outfielders with a -23 on deep balls this season, and he and Michael Saunders are the only are the only players worse than Pence, who’s tied with three others at -17. "

Can't wait to see how he fares in that crazy RF in SF. Like I said before he's a good player, not an elite player and while he's not getting Jayson Werth dollars(cough) he is getting overpaid this year and will get even more next season. He's getting paid more than some MLB team's entire outfield this season. I still think he can turn his season around though. He had a really good August/September after the trade last season. Maybe he just needs a change of scenery.

Stats don't tell the whole story, JH.

Because if we are to believe them, the Giants should be bottom feeders this year and never should have won the WS in 2010.

Guess what.....

Sadly, the Indians are now basically the KC Royals. Poor attendance, very little talent, and little or no hope. The trade for Ubaldo supposedly created a sense of urgency (giving up two best pitching prospects for a guy that struggles to get through 6), but they can't win soon. Choo will wear the uni one more year (at most) before signing with NYY or someone else with more vision (or at least way more $$$). Asdrubal will follow soon thereafter. Plenty of "nice" pitchers that haven't yet lived up to the aspirations: Tomlin, McAllister, Masterson (already rumored on the trading block), Jeanmar Gomez. Try to be optimistic, but how can anyone that is not completely delusional get excited about the key acquisitions of Derek Lowe, Johnny Damon, Casey Kotchmann, Dan Wheeler, etc.

Kipnis, Chisenhall, Brantley (only useful part of Sabathia trade), and Cabrera are only position players to remain hopeful about (maybe Carlos "Black Magic Woman" Santana). Choo will disappear, as will Hafner and Sizemore (at long, injury-plagued, last). Bullpen has been pretty good this year (notwithstanding today's collossal meltdown), but that's the sort of thing you don't count on from one season to the next.

So some perspective from the "painful" seasons in SF or Texas or NYY or...

At least I live in a market with an exciting, young team. Go Nats!!!

At least you've seen your team win it all....,,

Good point.

And where I certainly appreciate that 2010 WS win for the Giants and feel for those fans whose teams haven't won the WS, I cannot discount the countless YEARS of suffering especially with those [hated] Dodgers fans nipping at my heals....year after year after goddamed year. Grrrr :angry:

In short: Fuck the Dodgers and anything associated with that hateful team and it's legion of fans who don't even have the respect of a storied baseball history to even fill the seats.

Um...just sayin' :w

Edited by GoodSpeak

Funny, how Stoneham never came in for the same animosity that O'Malley received.

Bill Veeck made the same point in one of his books, probably Veeck As In Wreck. He said that it was Stoneham who needed the move and pushed it along, and persuaded O'Malley to join him on the west coast.

There are those with short or NO memories, the Giants rarely drew flies at Candlestick.

Night games with people bundled in parkas and blankets...the place was [is] the pits.

Dodgers won the series in 1959 while their beautyful stadium was being built; were the major league attendeance leader for a long, long time.

I understand enjoying seeing the 'enemy' suffer, but that facts are that the L.A. Dodgers are one of the most sucessful clubs in history so far as attendance is concerned, with the recent dip centered around the recently ousted family who were driving the franchise into the ground; those days are over.

- they were the 1st team ever to draw 3,000,000 fans at home in a season

- they did it 6 times before anyone else did it once

- they did it 15 years in a row

- 2009 led all of MLB in total attendance

- 2008 played a charity game celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the club in LA against the Red Sox at the L.A. Coliseum which drew 115,300 fans.....the most to attend a single baseball game in history!

Edited by Mike Schwartz

In present day, which is what my earlier remark was referring to, it is fairly obvious LA ceased being a baseball town years ago. It is clearly a basketball town now.

If those Dodgers games of the last 7-8 years are sell-outs they sure invited a lot of empty seats. Corporations buying up rows of seats is not quite the same thing as putting people in those seats. I think even you would agree. In San Francisco, however, people actually come to the games. Disallowing for the yuppie trash which show up late after a few beers across the street only to leave well before the start of the 8th inning.

Besides, the LA Colusseum is just a tad larger than Dodger Stadium...almost twice as big. The seats were cheap, too. ATT holds around 42,000 people so, obviously, being a larger venue in Cavez Ravine, those corporate bought seats will naturally ramp up the attendance numbers. But as we have discussed in the Politics forum, corporations are not people, so it all comes down to numbers crunching. Still not warm bodies in the seats; people just don't show up. The Staples Center, OTOH, is a packed house every night for the Lakers.

BTW, the Giants are playing in front of sell-out crowds and at ATT Park [pretty much since the ballpark opened back in 2000]...not Candlestick. That would be the 49ers. Those games are sellouts, too.

Edited by GoodSpeak

In present day, which is what my earlier remark was referring to, it is fairly obvious LA ceased being a baseball town years ago. It is clearly a basketball town now.

If those Dodgers games of the last 7-8 years are sell-outs they sure invited a lot of empty seats.

BTW, the Giants are playing in front of sell-out crowds and at ATT Park [pretty much since the ballpark opened back in 2000]...not Candlestick. That would be the 49ers. Those games are sellouts, too.

One more once...

- they were the 1st team ever to draw 3,000,000 fans at home in a season

- they did it 6 times before anyone else did it once

- they did it 15 years in a row

- 2009 led all of MLB in total attendance

- 2008 played a charity game celebrating the 50th Anniversary of the club in LA against the Red Sox at the L.A. Coliseum which drew 115,300 fans.....the most to attend a single baseball game in history!

- 2010 attendance 3.76 million average home crowd 43,979

- 2010 SF [world champion] Giants home attandance 3,037,443 average home crowd 37,499

Jazzin' it it up as usual :rofl:

Comfortable with comparing the Giants 'cozy' 42,000 seat stadium with Dodgers 56,000 and criticizing empty seats? :beee:

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Goody......we'll see little in life eye to eye....that's for certain.

Since 2000 and the opening of the Giants magnificent park at 1 Wille Mays Plaza, the Giants got off the a great start attendance wise and edged L.A.D. slightly 2000-2003

After the lustre wore off a little:

2004 -2010 Dodgers back on top every year, a couple of years by 3-400,000 over SF who in '08 & '09 go under 3 million....coolest park in MLB and relatively crappy clubs obviously didn't attract max crowds.

2011 with the Dodgers entire franchise in the shitter, they only missed 3 million in home attendance by 64,000. (I'm not asking you) Why do you think the new owners paid that crazy_ass money to purchase the team? Because, with some refocus, they'll be back to normal, crushing it at the box office.

Don't give me the corperate yadda, yadda speak....remember, I belive it was the Giants that invented 'progressive ticket pricing' so that when you want to take in the Dodger game in SF, you'll pay through the nose to see that one compared to when the Brewers come to town.

Cain is struggling against the Cards.

Good news is AZ lost.

Now we can only hope the Rockies can actually play baseball against the oh-so fan popular Dodgers at "sold-out" Chavez Ravine.

Just look at all those fans. Amazing, isn't it?

Dodger_Stadium_smoke_052811_medium.JPG

IMG_2274.JPG

6097156481_280de72204_z.jpg

Yep. Breaking attendance records even as I type. Wow! :rolleyes:

Edited by GoodSpeak

Are things that bad, SS1?

My Astros are 36-73, dead last in Major League Baseball. For the second year in a row. There's maybe one player on the team that would even be tradeable at this point (Jose Altuve), but I believe he's who they're hoping to build around.

It's gonna be 3-4 years before they're even competitive if they're lucky, and oh by the way they're also switching to the AL, involuntarily. So the need a DH. Don't really have any bats on the team. Nor any decent pitchers.

Baseball isn't much fun to watch for an Astros fan.

Bring on football!

Are things that bad, SS1?

My Astros are 36-73, dead last in Major League Baseball. For the second year in a row. There's maybe one player on the team that would even be tradeable at this point (Jose Altuve), but I believe he's who they're hoping to build around.

It's gonna be 3-4 years before they're even competitive if they're lucky, and oh by the way they're also switching to the AL, involuntarily. So the need a DH. Don't really have any bats on the team. Nor any decent pitchers.

Baseball isn't much fun to watch for an Astros fan.

Bring on football!

My son in law is from Houston and a diehard Astro fan.

It's going to get worse before it gets better, I''m afraid when they go to the American league next year.

They'll have thew worst travel schedule in MLB by making the switch, which earned the owner some $20,000,000 for signing up for the change.