MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indians 1 game winning streak

Hell MFing Yeah!!!!

Time for our playoff push

You laff (or cry) perhaps, but Cleveland sees a fairly significant amount of action against the AL West in the next few weeks. If the team gets back on track, they could be a spoiler and directly impact the playoff picture.

I don't how many of you listen to the Yankee radio play by play announcers, John Sterling and Susyn Waldman, but Sterling is unique in his own ways with his HR calls, e.g. "it's a-bomb from A-Rod". Yesterday Sterling made a call in the fourth inning which he got completely wrong and the morning guys on WFAN in New York, Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton, proceeded to dissect it.

It's a great listen and laugh out loud riotous. Here's the audio, http://newyork.cbslo...back-with-jets/ The page will say problem loading podcast but you have to scroll down and click on a Classic Sterling Gaffe

Edited by Brad

Hunter Pence: A diving catch in the 4th and a three-run jack in the 8th to win it.

Yeah.

I think he's a keeper.

You are truely hilarious !

Way to go 1 for 5 (game winner is cool!)

He's 8 for 53 for SF which is about .145 batting average (down to .258 -13 points since arriving to SF) with 14Ks :blink:

Amazing that Posey continues to kill it despite Pence hitting in front of him. Buster did get 3 walks today as they clearly would rather pitch to Pence than Posey.

Let's get that Pence guy a contract extension :crazy:

Edited by Mike Schwartz

Bobby Valentine pissing off the people he works with? I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bobby-valentine-red-sox-mutiny-text-dustin-pedroia-larry-lucchino-john-henry-adrian-gonzalez-.html

OTOH, has the (as I've always understood it) Yawkey legacy of players ultimately having their way ever really been purged from this storied franchise?

Not to say that Valentine's not gonna ultimately be a self-serving back-stabbing prick, we learned that here a few decades ago, but at some point, any player on any team needs to take an ass-chewing from the manager when it's deserved, and I don't know of any case on any team when that's not ever been the case.

Yes, he's never pitched a full season. Coming off TJ surgery, I can understand the shut down. He's already tailing off somewhat. Cardinals won last year without Wainwright. I guess the thinking is that the team has a strong enough staff with Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman, Edwin Jackson, and Ross Detwiler. Especially if Strasburg in September is not the same as Strasburg in May or June.

It's still very early, so we don't know if the Columbian District is even going to the playoffs or getting knocked out early by the extra wild card team this year. The way MLB has set up the post-season, it's for the hottest, streakiest team at the moment.

Bobby Valentine pissing off the people he works with? I'm shocked, I tell you, SHOCKED.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bobby-valentine-red-sox-mutiny-text-dustin-pedroia-larry-lucchino-john-henry-adrian-gonzalez-.html

OTOH, has the (as I've always understood it) Yawkey legacy of players ultimately having their way ever really been purged from this storied franchise?

Not to say that Valentine's not gonna ultimately be a self-serving back-stabbing prick, we learned that here a few decades ago, but at some point, any player on any team needs to take an ass-chewing from the manager when it's deserved, and I don't know of any case on any team when that's not ever been the case.

Those Bosox players come off as a bunch of whining wussies! Everyone here has had a boss or two that they didn't like, that's life. You make sure you do your job and do it well regardles of who the boss is.Seems to me the Bosox players have been pampered and coddled to the max.

Yes, he's never pitched a full season. Coming off TJ surgery, I can understand the shut down. He's already tailing off somewhat. Cardinals won last year without Wainwright. I guess the thinking is that the team has a strong enough staff with Gio Gonzalez, Jordan Zimmerman, Edwin Jackson, and Ross Detwiler. Especially if Strasburg in September is not the same as Strasburg in May or June.

It's still very early, so we don't know if the Columbian District is even going to the playoffs or getting knocked out early by the extra wild card team this year. The way MLB has set up the post-season, it's for the hottest, streakiest team at the moment.

Is this shut-down written in stone? What happens if Strasburg says he's good to go for the playoffs?

I mean, what guy wouldn't want the opportunity to pitch in the WS?

Edited by GoodSpeak

Melky done for regular season 50 game ban

Possibly the post-season as well... http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8271981/melky-cabrera-san-francisco-giants-suspended-50-games

He will miss the final 45 games of the regular season and serve the remainder of the suspension at the start of next season or during the postseason, depending on whether the Giants make the playoffs and how far they advance.

On "bright side" (such as it is...) to this - he's copping to the offense and not offering excuses or looking for obfuscations:

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

"Forced" or not, there's always those who will look to play games and buy time. Not this guy (and in this case, his union), and for that, hey, good on him.

espn again plagiarized yahoo report

"Well, three weeks later, it happened again.

Last night's 6 p.m. SportsCenter featured language taken from Yahoo's exclusive report about Red Sox players turning on Bobby Valentine. It was all Yahoo's work. The only thing SportsCenter added was the word "reportedly" (and a little something from ESPN's Buster Olney about 17 Red Sox players being involved)."

espn again plagiarized yahoo report

"Well, three weeks later, it happened again.

Last night's 6 p.m. SportsCenter featured language taken from Yahoo's exclusive report about Red Sox players turning on Bobby Valentine. It was all Yahoo's work. The only thing SportsCenter added was the word "reportedly" (and a little something from ESPN's Buster Olney about 17 Red Sox players being involved)."

Dude, ESPN plagiarizes everybody, all the time! NY-area media columnist Phil Mushnick never tires of pointing this out. Usual dodge is to say "ESPN has learned" or "ESPN sources" with reference to things like Yahoo! reports.

Melky done for regular season 50 game ban

Possibly the post-season as well... http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/8271981/melky-cabrera-san-francisco-giants-suspended-50-games

He will miss the final 45 games of the regular season and serve the remainder of the suspension at the start of next season or during the postseason, depending on whether the Giants make the playoffs and how far they advance.

On "bright side" (such as it is...) to this - he's copping to the offense and not offering excuses or looking for obfuscations:

"My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used," Cabrera said in a statement released by the union. "I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down."

"Forced" or not, there's always those who will look to play games and buy time. Not this guy (and in this case, his union), and for that, hey, good on him.

Figures.

Giants just can't catch a break.

Tough news about Melky! That'll hurt! Nationals were lucky to come out with a series win today.

Yes, General Manager Mike Rizzo has said all along this season that Strasburg will be shut down in September. Hard pill to swallow for the kid, who wants to see post-season, and some team veterans who have voiced their opinions on the matter this week. Sounds like they may be allowing themselves to think the post season is a possibility. Would not have guessed it. I started the year hoping to be over .500!