MLB 2012 Season

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. I have you beat by ten years.

My first MLB game

PS: I just realized after I posted this: that makes for 43 years of attending baseball games --- Yikes! I'm old!!!

Edited by Matthew

I got all y'all beat.

My first MLB game was an Angels game in 1962 at Dodger Stadium. I was seven.

My first Giants game was in 1965; Gaylord Perry vs. Don Drysdale [i think] at Candelstick Park when center field was open with a view of Hunter's Point. Giants won, as I recall, 1-0.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Hey! Four Giants got named to the All-Star Game...three of whom are starters :excited:

Melky Cabrerra OF

Pablo Sandoval 3B

Buster Posey C

Didn't Paul Secor mention he went to Ebbets Field? He probably has us all beat.

Good point.

Musta missed that one.

Paul must be WAY old ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

How are you guys finding the box score? I remember my first game, but not the precise date.

I went to the site Soulstation used, then went to the team page, then clicked on my team (San Diego Padres), then clicked on the schedule, which show each game for every year, then clicked on the game I went to, and it has the box score. Hope that makes sense

Hey! Four Giants got named to the All-Star Game...three of whom are starters :excited:

Melky Cabrerra OF

Pablo Sandoval 3B

Buster Posey C

Good point.

Musta missed that one.

Paul must be WAY old ^_^

I am way old, but I never went to Ebbets Field. Must have been someone else who posted that.

Melky Cabrerra OF

Pablo Sandoval 3B

Buster Posey C

Good point.

Musta missed that one.

Paul must be WAY old ^_^

I am way old, but I never went to Ebbets Field. Must have been someone else who posted that.

Sorry! It was MartyJazz (I looked it up), he made the comment about listening to Vin Scully announcing the Brooklyn Dodgers as a kid -- he was a Yankee fan though ohmy.gif

We both saw Bobby Bonds and Jim Kaat in our first day of in person attendance. 5-10-1980 Dodgers vs. Cardinals. Mom hated baseball, dad wasn't from the US, so I got a late start!

Edited by Quincy

We both saw Bobby Bonds and Jim Kaat in our first day of in person attendance. 5-10-1980 Dodgers vs. Cardinals. Mom hated baseball, dad wasn't from the US, so I got a late start!

Thankfully, I maried a woman who loves baseball [a former softball 2B] just like me.

In fact, on our honeymoon to San Francisco, we went to an A's game [the Giants were dark] which happened to be a double-header [back when that actually meant you go to see two games for the price of one]. The first game went into extra innings. Then so did the second game! I was in hog heaven! Butcha know what? My wife never complained and enjoyed the games right along with me.

That's when I knew I had the real thing [been married 29 years now] and we still go to/watch Giants games :g

Edited by GoodSpeak

Four Hall of Famers played in that game, not too bad for a first game.

You missed one as thanks to the Vets Committee Nellie Fox got in. (He was camouflaged by playing at 3rd). It's kind of odd how the Astros had 2 Hall Of Famers at 2nd yet both of their primes were elsewhere. Biggio will fix that.

Edited by Quincy

You missed one as thanks to the Vets Committee Nellie Fox got in. (He was camouflaged by playing at 3rd). It's kind of odd how the Astros had 2 Hall Of Famers at 2nd yet both of their primes were elsewhere. Biggio will fix that.

I had completely forgot about Fox, I never think of him as a HofF type of player. So five in Jim's first game, not bad at all.....

You do work for Elias, right??? :crazy::excited:

Carlos Ruiz, at .364…amazing!

I have him on my fantasy team. He wasn't even drafted. Nerk nerk nerk.

was looking at Adam Dunn’s numbers. these are wild. after a big day yesterday(after slumping for awhile) 24 HR’s 57 RBI’s, which projects out to 52 HRs and 123 RBIs…Pretty darned nice, right??? What’s his B.A right now???? .216!!!! How do you do that???

Quincy, oh QUUUUINNNNCCCCYYYYY!!!! Only you can find out for me....who had the most RBI's with the lowest B.A for a season???? :shrug[1]:

If you mean an RBI seasonal leader with the worst average, you can probably figure it out. Think back to when the mound was higher & ERAs lower. A big boned fella who played up north. The Killer, Harmon Killebrew hit .243 in 1962 leading the AL with 126 RBI. Cecil Fielder hit .244 for the Tigers in '92 with 124.

But if you want really a really low bat batting averages by a guy who knocked in over 100, Tony Armas is probably your man. In 1983 for the Red Sox he hit 36 HR, knocked in 107 while batting .207. No wonder Red Sox fans are so batty. ;)

Though he never had the high RBI totals, for HR power & low batting average, I'm sure a bunch of us here immediately thought of Rob Deer.

Meant to thank you earlier Quincy! Wasn't sure, figured Dave Kingman(Mentioned recently here) might be the guy. in '82 for the Mets, 37 HR 99 RBI, and a robust.204 BA. What a waste he was... his final year in Oakland, 35 HR 94 RBIs .210. He was 37, and apparently was unpleasant enough that even with those power numbers, no one gave him a shot to play the next year. Never could figure out how he created so much power with that stance. Sort of the no stride of Manny and Matt Kemp, only moreso...guess it's hips and batspeed...

ok...went looking for Kingman hitting...found it...in 2010! Sucker might still hit a mistake in the majors...

and check out this superstars of 1976 final 100 yard dash..with Dave Kingman... no, he didn't win of course(but faster than Mike Schmitt!) but check out that huge Shot Putter dude coming in 2nd!

I saw that Matt Kemp is listed in the All-Star HR derby.

Is he off the IR now?

No, he's just going to start rehab, and thinks he can do the derby, then play right after the break. Guess he can hit, but still can't run full out....two hamstring problems back to back is never good...