MLB 2012 Season

Was George Brett at the All Star game?

Didn't watch the game

29th anniversary of the pine tar game is coming up

Think so since he was the manager of the Futures Team.

Saw him during the Home Run Derby...wow is he ever burnt to a crisp right now! Looks like he was lost at sea for a month!

http://www.sportsgrid.com/mlb/george-brett-poopy-pants/

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite Bud's b.s. ruling that the winning team gets home field advantage in the series, the all-star game is a spectacle, a chance for fans to see their favorite players. How many people remember who won the all-star game 10 years ago - without looking it up?

If LaRussa had any bit of class, he would have given a 38 year old who is having a great season so far and carrying his team, the chance to start the game. And I'm not a Mets fan.

In my book, LaRussa is as bogus as his dyed hair.

I agree: Bud Selig is full of shit regarding the W-L in the All-Star Game vs home field advantage in the WS.

However, if you are interested in winning baseball games, emotional favorites are not who you go with.

Here's the line on Dickey: 1H, 1K, 1.00 WHIP in one inning pitched. Cain's the better pitcher today....and with good reason. LaRussa made the right call, IMHO.

They both gave up no runs and had an ERA of 0.00. THIS is the only stat that matters for pitchers. An increased WHIP means nothing at the end of the day if it doesn't translate to an increase in runs scored. Appearance in an All-Star game is supposed to be based on performance during that year, not during one's career. Like it or not, flash in the pan or not, Dickey is having a better year than Cain, period. LaRussa's always been an idiot! If status in an All-Star game WERE based on career stats, Seaver would've started damn near every one during his NL career.

Cain also pitched two scoreless innings vs Dickey's one inning.

I used the WHIP as a tie-breaker.

Dickey is a very good pitcher, no doubt. But I would take any of the four picthers who went to the mound before him in a heartbeat. W-L records and one good year don't tell the whole story, my friend. Proven reliability and longevity, however, do.

For the record, I'm not by any means a LaRussa fan. His Cardinals have done plenty of damage to the playoff hopes of my Giants. No love lost here.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Despite Bud's b.s. ruling that the winning team gets home field advantage in the series, the all-star game is a spectacle, a chance for fans to see their favorite players. How many people remember who won the all-star game 10 years ago - without looking it up?

If LaRussa had any bit of class, he would have given a 38 year old who is having a great season so far and carrying his team, the chance to start the game. And I'm not a Mets fan.

I agree: Bud Selig is full of shit regarding the W-L in the All-Star Game vs home field advantage in the WS.

However, if you are interested in winning baseball games, emotional favorites are not who you go with.

Here's the line on Dickey: 1H, 1K, 1.00 WHIP in one inning pitched. Cain's the better pitcher today....and with good reason. LaRussa made the right call, IMHO.

They both gave up no runs and had an ERA of 0.00. THIS is the only stat that matters for pitchers. An increased WHIP means nothing at the end of the day if it doesn't translate to an increase in runs scored. Appearance in an All-Star game is supposed to be based on performance during that year, not during one's career. Like it or not, flash in the pan or not, Dickey is having a better year than Cain, period. LaRussa's always been an idiot! If status in an All-Star game WERE based on career stats, Seaver would've started damn near every one during his NL career.

Dickey is a very good pitcher, no doubt. But I would take any of the four picthers who went to the mound before him in a heartbeat. W-L records and one good year don't tell the whole story, my friend. Proven reliability and longevity, however, do.

For the record, I'm not by any means a LaRussa fan. His Cardinals have done plenty of damage to the playoff hopes of my Giants. No love lost here.

Cain has still not done it for years and years and years. Read what I said about Seaver!

Cain has still not done it for years and years and years. Read what I said about Seaver!

That's not a fair comparison, JetMan.

See me in 10-15 years when Cain retires and then you can make that claim. Cain has be in the NL for 8 years and has had three [so far] pretty successful seasons, W-L wise. Dickey, at 38, has had one breakout year. Though I am very happy for the man, Cain was more deserving of the All-Star start, IMHO.

Besides, Seaver wasn't available ^_^

Edited by GoodSpeak

He would've been if he had learned a knuckleball. :g

Seriously, R.A. Dickey's a good guy. We liked him when we had him here, and his recent success has been heartening.

If we want to question a starter, question Verlander's performance...I get that he was in "exhibition mode", but the Tigers are not necessarily out of reach of making the Series this year, it's still do-able for them...so at least think about the implications, ya' know?

OTOH, it's ultimately all Selig's fault. Fuck Bud Selig. With relish!

See me in 10-15 years when Cain retires and then you can make that claim. Cain has be in the NL for 8 years and has had three [so far] pretty successful seasons, W-L wise. Dickey, at 38, has had one breakout year. Though I am very happy for the man, Cain was more deserving of the All-Star start, IMHO.

But the decision shouldn't be based on a career, but rather the year. Dickey was the dominant pitcher in the NL this year. Maybe LaRussa was parked at a red light again...

But the decision shouldn't be based on a career, but rather the year. Dickey was the dominant pitcher in the NL this year. Maybe LaRussa was parked at a red light again...

So does this mean that the 2nd half of the season never matters? You'd wouldn't have cut a little slack for Roger Maris for the '62 All-Star game seeing as he hit 61 the season before? If only the 1st half of the year matters then no one has ever stolen 100 bases, no one knocks in 100 RBi, no one wins 20 games. It's not just the 1st half of this year that counts. Again, I'd have preferred Dickey, but the idea that only the 1st half of a season matters in All-Star consideration isn't something I agree with.

Using that theory maybe they should have started Cliff Lee. After all he was 17-8 last year and 11-2 after the break. On the other Dickey and Cain were both 4-6 after the break in 2011, not exactly all star material. Yes, Lee definitely should have started. It's not second half performance that is the judge and I think we all know that except LaRussa.

Edited by Brad

If that's the case then maybe the All-Star team needs to be chosen without the input of fan voting. And if that were the case, LaRussa still gets to choose the pitching rotation.

Maybe only Mets fans should vote then?

There is no way to assure Dickey gets the nod unless only New Yorkers get to choose the team.

Using that theory maybe they should have started Cliff Lee. After all he was 17-8 last year and 11-2 after the break. On the other Dickey and Cain were both 4-6 after the break in 2011, not exactly all star material. Yes, Lee definitely should have started. It's not second half performance that is the judge and I think we all know that except LaRussa.

Did I say just the 2nd half matters? And actually both Cain & Dickey were terrific in the 2nd half last year, though if you're of the mindset that wins are the be all for measuring pitcher effectiveness there's no need to continue on.

Meanwhile it's almost like 2004 never happened in Boston.

Meanwhile it's almost like 2004 never happened in Boston.

Whiney ass bitches they are...I knew Valentine was in trouble after he said some shit about Youkilis , and Pedroia said he'll learn that isn't how we do things here. Like they are some team that had been in the playoffs every year for a decade. Like they weren't a team that collapsed in every possible way in September 2011.

I don't think I have ever been more excited by a team, and the never give up attitude they had in 2004...now, they are just another team with a huge budget that under performs. And whines about everything.

Can't say that I ever enjoy watching my team get their asses handed to them, but I will say that watching Felix Hernandez when he's on is one of the more rarefied pleasures in baseball today.

As is getting to him and running him outta there when he's not. But that ain't happening tonight.

1342284807' post='1210732']

1342227008' post='1210584']

...unless only New Yorkers get to choose the team.

He finally sees the light :)

Boo, hiss.

Did we forget our roots. I was at Yankee Stadium today to see the Angels play (my son is an Angels fan; Yankee fans werent too bad). History is all around that place. The history of the Yankees is the history of base ball. Yankee Stadium is located at 161st and Jerome Avenue. My mother was telling me tonight at dinner that when she was a kid in the 1920s and 1930s and living on Jerome Avenue they used to go on the roof and watch the games. However, she grew up as a Giants fan.