Decoding Album and Song Title Meanings

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triflin' is a bad word? I hear black kids white kids teachers using that word like its nothing. Didn't realize there was a negative connotation.

I don't use it personally, because I didn't grow up down here.

To kids, maybe not now, but down here, amongst people, say, 30 and older, if used in it's proper environment/context, it's about as strong a verbal assault on somebody's character as you can make. It's like, you're beyond sorry, you're beyond lazy, you're beyond piss-poor, you're triflin'. Strong words. White folks use the word too, but not with as intense of an intent.

But maybe it's maybe it's a regional/age thing that is on its way out, yet another "private" expression diluted by general usage. There's a lot of those these days...

Au Privave

Here are some suggestions taken from a thread on Jazz Corner - a bit of jazz board intertextuality ;)

I've always heard that it's a phonetic mis-transformation of the french "Après Vous" (like "After you" I guess), that you say when holding a door for someone, from a time CP was playing France.

From same thread re-"Klactoveesedstene";

I read (in the Penguin Guide, maybe?) that it was thought that "Klactoveesedstene" was a corruption of "Klact, auf wiedersehen", and meant something like "goodbye to noise".

Au Privave

Isn't "Au Privave" Granz's or a Granz employee's phonetic misspelling of the song Charlie Parker said (out loud) he titled "Apres Vous"?

It's called Apres Vous on this album:

D17CAB6A0DC743CAA18C27DA88EA8D64.jpg

That German stab at Klactoveedsedstene sounds outlandish. I'm pretty sure it's just bebop onomatopoeia.

Edited by Pete C

Check out some of Henry Threadgill's titles and have a field day. Some great titles (and music) there.

"Spotted Dick is Pudding" was mysterious to me for a while, although our British members probably think that I'm pretty simple for being confused.

I love Cecil Taylor's titles - they're like little poems. Probably my favorite is "One Too Many Salty Swift and Not Goodbye." I don't know exactly what it means, but at the same time I know exactly what it means.

It's called Apres Vous on this album:

D17CAB6A0DC743CAA18C27DA88EA8D64.jpg

On the Mercury CD it's given as "Au Privave", but the liner notes include a reproduction of the LP back cover, where it's "Après Vous". The mis-spelling explanation seems a reasonable one; I used to think it was the name of a French bar or similar, as traditionally their names often began with "Au".

Obvious, you say? Well, not necessarily. Sometimes white folks learn a word like "triflin'" and jokingly use it on/to a black friend/associate/whatever, not realizing the depth of the insult that word is meant to convey. Bad move, and feelings do get hurt.

"Triflin"??? Please, educate me. Seriously. I don't see it as insulting or a word that would come up in a joke; it's just a word as far as I know.

Never mind; a google search reveals all. I'll be damned; I've never heard of the word being used that way.