Bear Family sets

Jazz Pimp

• 2 weeks later...

I have:

The Cotton club set

Bill Monroe - Early days set, with the duos, proto bluegrass and first Flatt & Scruggs stuff. I once owned, in another life, ths second '50s set, which I will rebuy sometime. Incredible!

I have recently ordered the Cliff Bruner set. Can't wait to get among all that Bob Dunn and Moon Mullican.

Next up - in a return to my pre-jazz fandom of western swing - will be the Wills set, after some SERIOUS saving. That, the Bruner and the recently purchased five-disc set of the complete Milton Brown on Texas Rose should see me right for a while.

In this regard at least, and other issues aside, Proper is a poor substitute. The Texas Rose/Brown set (available through Origin jazz Library) is a lot pricier, but the sound is incredible and it was released with the co-operation of Milton's brother.

I've also ordered the Brown biography from the University of Illinois and already have the Townshend Wills bio.

Itr's interesting. In times past I would have taken a much more scattered approach to this music, but here I am snagging multi-disc sets by the three main players; compilations, obscurities and cheapies be damned. Feels right.

Edited by kenny weir

• 6 months later...

Next up - in a return to my pre-jazz fandom of western swing - will be the Wills set, after some SERIOUS saving. That, the Bruner and the recently purchased five-disc set of the complete Milton Brown on Texas Rose should see me right for a while.

In this regard at least, and other issues aside, Proper is a poor substitute. The Texas Rose/Brown set (available through Origin jazz Library) is a lot pricier, but the sound is incredible and it was released with the co-operation of Milton's brother.

I have the Wills set - it's worth every penny. I bought the Texas Rose Milton Brown set when it first came out. Not so pricey when compared to a Bear Family set, but considerably more than the Proper (or is it JSP?) knockoff, which might have actually been dubbed from the Texas Rose - wouldn't surprise me. :angry:

Still deciding about San Antonio Rose ...

But in the meantime I have snagged the Floyd Tillman set, which is simply fabulous - providing you dig the dude's voice!

Unlike many BF single artist sets, there's a lot of diversity - western swing, flat out honky tonk, neo cajun and rockabilly and even an unplugged blues session.

I have to admit that I've been mightily tempted by Bear Family (AKA "The Hillbilly Mosaic"), yet I have yet to succumb to their wiles. If anything, like Mosaic itself, their sets are TOO exhaustive. Is there one of them I shouldn't resist? The one I've teetered closest to buying is the Jerry Lee Lewis, but I've wondered if the mastering isn't a bit (pun intended) out of date.

Am I imagining it, or is there a Buddy and Ella Johnson set? And if so, how is it?

I have it - overall it's very good, although as you get into the late 50's the material becomes more commercial pop and less interesting.

I agree that the "complete" approach can be too exhaustive, and often includes some material that can be considered non-essential. Of all the sets I have, I'd say the most consistently strong are the Louvin Brothers, the first Flatt & Scruggs (there are three), the Jimmie Rodgers, and the first Bob Wills. The Jerry Lee Lewis has way too many alternate takes for comfort, although I don't remember any problems with the sound. The Lefty Frizzell is surprisingly strong, as is the first Don Gibson. The Carter Family and Blue Sky Boys are very good, as are the first two (chronologically) Bill Monroe sets.