Final Appeal Through Indie Gogo Recording Project

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Allen, you mean Jon-Erik Kellso (with a double l). Kelson (with a single l) was a no less spectacular race horse from our younger days.

Kalaparusha is completely blind, unfortunately - he also had his tenor stolen.

Today's session - Ursula Oppens, Noah Preminger, JD Allen, Jon-Erik Kelso - was spectacular.

btw, the drummer we are using - Rob Wallace, who teaches musicology out in Bowling Green, Ohio - is simply one of the best drummers I have ever heard. Musical, inventive, responsive, and swings like hell.

and Kevin Ray is one superb bassist. Chris Meeder is a tuba player to be reckoned with - and Lewis Porter, as always, played brilliantly.

Of course, you're right. My mnemonic device for remembering the correct spelling of Jon-Erik Kellso is that it's different from the horse. Don't know where the extra "n" came from!

Kellso = trumpeter

Kelso = horse

Kelson = nothing (at least in this context)!

Kelson (with a single l) was a no less spectacular race horse from our younger days.

Single l, no n!

Apparently none. MKM was from Boston. KMM was from Arkansas and grew up around Chicago.

So... hesitate to ask... what's the relationship between KMM and MKM? None, right?

Wait a minute. Do you mean there are two individuals, one who goes by Maurice "Kalaparusha" McIntyre (MKM) and the other who goes by "Kalaparusha" Maurice McIntyre (KMM)?

Apparently none. MKM was from Boston. KMM was from Arkansas and grew up around Chicago.

So... hesitate to ask... what's the relationship between KMM and MKM? None, right?

Wait a minute. Do you mean there are two individuals, one who goes by Maurice "Kalaparusha" McIntyre (MKM) and the other who goes by "Kalaparusha" Maurice McIntyre (KMM)?

No. There's Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre, and Makanda Ken McIntyre.

To translate it into the language of this board, this one:

51R7D7B724L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

And this one:

49210666.jpg

Connected only by coincidence? Fishy, if you ask me...

Edited by David Ayers

Hah! Kellso - L = Kelso?

No, I was young enough when the horse was around that I didn't need a mneumonic.

My mnemonic device for remembering the correct spelling of Jon-Erik Kellso is that it's different from the horse.

how do you remember the correct spelling for the horse?

thanks, we had a terrific time - we're using two different drummers on this project; Lou Grassi, who people know, and Rob Wallace, who's an old friend of mine, PHD musicologist, and one of the most musical drummers I've ever worked with.

Kalaparusha was hot; had to borrow a tenor for him, and he felt right at home.

Lou Grassi! We played at Marshall Brown's Wednesday session every week in 1980-81. The rest of the band was Marshall; Tom Olin, Gene Allen, saxes; Hod O'Brien, piano; Dave Hofstra, bass; alternating with Grassi on drums the late Wade Barnes, another good drummer whose name I've forgotten; and a guy named Ira. Alternating with Hod was Timothy Marquand (son of the author of Mr. Moto, J.P. Marquand). Sometimes the late Chuck Clark, a fantastic tenor player and writer, would sub, that's how we met. Marshall was always red-faced screaming at poor Timothy, who just hung his head---purple after the inveighing---when Marshall let go with a fusilade that always began

'No, no, NO Timothy!!

Those were the days.........

BTW, I heard Kalaparusha play on Broadway on the Upper West Side years ago. He was playing solo and played Corcovado correctly with a beautiful sound. Randy Sandke is a man for all seasons. Sounds like another wild and crazy Allen Lowe project........

Nice lineup. I just caught JD Allen with Jeremy Pelt last week and came away impressed.

He's fantastic, but his playing with Pelt is more conservative than with his own trio.

His trio set from the Village Vanguard is available for download or streaming from NPR, so I plan on giving that a listen.

hey justin. that link you provided didn't go to where i think you wanted it to go. others who are interested try here:

Still available for download as of this posting

i just downloaded it and am looking forward to listening. great trio...

unfortunately the Bill McHenry quartet set at The Vanguard that is listed on the same page is not available for download. bummer. would love to have that...

Edited by thedwork

Dworkie, baby, thought you had me blocked. Welcome back to the cult.

GOOBLE GOBBLE GOOBLE GOBBLE, ONE OF US ONE OF US

Edited by AllenLowe

Kalaparusha is completely blind, unfortunately - he also had his tenor stolen.

How many tenors has he had stolen? When we talked 2 years ago he'd had 2 tenors, his own and a loaner, stolen in the same month, by the same guy on the subway at 14th St.

Good to see he's playing more beautiful music. Thanks, Allen. Cataracts, damn. But my eye dr. said all us old folks get them. How about surgery for Kalaparusha?