Final Appeal Through Indie Gogo Recording Project

ok. the big recording session is set for June 19 and June 20 in Brooklyn. Final appeal.

feel free to support us through Indie Gogo: http://www.indiegogo...USICIANS-IN-NYC

the music is ready; "My Little Voudon Babe" (a look at Zora Neale Hurston). "The Last Words of Arizona Dranes." The old minstrel thing call "Jump Jim Crow" ? (written for Matt Shipp as piano variations). We also have a thing called "Original Sin," a meditation on American racism. A sideways look at Gershwin's Preludes. And: "Experiments in Post Modern Music;" "Wake Up Time Up North" (a feature for Jon-Erik Kelso; our answer song to When It's Sleepy Time Down South); a musical version of Rudolph Fischer's "The Caucasians Storm Harlem." A tune which shall remain nameless but which is our variation on a hit by Ernest Hogan. A look at Joe Jordan. Endless variations on "a thought about Bud Powell." "Monk and the Faith Healer;" which recalls Monk's early life playing for a revivalist church; a backwards musical description of Tony Jackson; several Naked Dances, a la Jelly Roll. "I Had Rhythm," thinking of Jaki Byard, and our bebop tune: "Hiding from a Riff." And I'm afraid to mention this one, but a thing about Lennie Tristano with the working title, "Descent Into the Mail Room."

Also, a series of Blind Boones, and a thing called Crazy Dog, from a poem written by a friend of Edgard Varese.

I could go on, but you get the idea. Once again, thanks to everyone who has give us help. We've gotten a nice response, enough already to carry this through.

there's been some personnel variation but we think the following people will show up:

Lou Grassi, Steve Bernstein, Rob Wallace, Dean Bowman, Randy Sandke, Jon-Erik Kelso, Ray Suhy, Chris Meeder, Ras Moshe, Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre (btw, I'm looking for a volunteer to get him to the session); Lewis Porter, Ursula Oppens, Dean Bowman, Curtis Hasselbring, Noah Preminger, and the Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

also: Dean Bowman, Dean Bowman, Dean Bowman, Dean Bowman, Dean Bowman, Dean Bowman, and Dean Bowman.

Edited by AllenLowe

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 weeks later...

well, things are coalescing somewhat - or congealing? 2 days of recordings set - just talked to Kalaparusha Maurice McIntyre today, and he will be recording with us, I am hoping,,,,

others to record over these 2 days:

Matt Shipp

Noah Preminger

JD Allen

Ursula Oppens

Ken Peplowski

Randy Sandke

Curtis Hasselbring

Lewis Porter

Kevin Ray

Rob Wallace

Ras Moshe

Lou Grassi

Jon-Erik Kelso

Curtis Hasselbrng.

Dean Bowman

Mitt Romney

too much music - the thing should include 6-8 piano solos by Lewis and Shipp.

Edited by AllenLowe

• 3 weeks later...

held the first of three recording sessions that we're holding this week, today, in Brooklyn.

Maurice came and played and was magnificent. 4 or 5 tunes.The whole session (with me, Lewis Porter, Chris Meeder, Kevin Ray, Ras Moshe, Rob Wallace, Ray Suhy) - went incredibly well; next session is Tuesday with Randy Sandke and Ken Peplowski.

Kalaparusha told me my alto playing reminded him of Marion Brown, so I can now die happy.

thanks, we had a terrific time - we're using two different drummers on this project; Lou Grassi, who people know, and Rob Wallace, who's an old friend of mine, PHD musicologist, and one of the most musical drummers I've ever worked with.

Kalaparusha was hot; had to borrow a tenor for him, and he felt right at home.

Edited by AllenLowe

great session yesterday with Randy Sandke and Ken Peplowski. Yow, these guys scare me. Plus the rest of our estimable band of Rob Wallace, Chris Meeder, Lewis Porter, Ray Suhy, and Kevin Ray. TODAY: Ursula Oppens, Matt Shipp, Jon-Erik Kelso, Noah Preminger, Lou Grassi, and JD Allen. It's such a nice day in NYC, maybe we'll record outside.....

great session yesterday with Randy Sandke and Ken Peplowski. Yow, these guys scare me. Plus the rest of our estimable band of Rob Wallace, Chris Meeder, Lewis Porter, Ray Suhy, and Kevin Ray. TODAY: Ursula Oppens, Matt Shipp, Jon-Erik Kelso, Noah Preminger, Lou Grassi, and JD Allen. It's such a nice day in NYC, maybe we'll record outside.....

Nice lineup. I just caught JD Allen with Jeremy Pelt last week and came away impressed.

fwiw - the suite that In Order to Survive performed last Tuesday June 12th was dedicated to Kalaparusha and titled as such.

According to William Parker, he mentioned the great tenor saxophonist is struggling with cataracts and those cataract's effects on his eyesight.

William asked any positive thoughts/energy be sent towards Mr. McIntyre. Of which I am sure there were many from the nice crowd @ Roulette.

If there was musical justice, that composition/performance (which some of you may have read my thoughts elsewhere) had the power to cure many ills and if it was a different world of music, it may be able to provide some other kind of support as great as the performance was.

Kalaparusha is completely blind, unfortunately - he also had his tenor stolen.

Today's session - Ursula Oppens, Noah Preminger, JD Allen, Jon-Erik Kelso - was spectacular.

btw, the drummer we are using - Rob Wallace, who teaches musicology out in Bowling Green, Ohio - is simply one of the best drummers I have ever heard. Musical, inventive, responsive, and swings like hell.

and Kevin Ray is one superb bassist. Chris Meeder is a tuba player to be reckoned with - and Lewis Porter, as always, played brilliantly.

Edited by AllenLowe