When are you supposed to change the cartridge?

Bol

If the cartridge plays without any mistracking distorsion it should be fine and not damage your precious black gold. You can however make a visual inspection to see that the tip is OK. Requires a microscope though.

The criterion is not the age, but how many hours it actually was in use. The cartridge itself might last for ten years or more, if you replace the stylus after a certain playing time. The user manual should give recommendations. But in many cases, replacing the complete cartridge might not be much more expensive than a replacemant stylus.

I check my stylus with a small microscope, about twice a year, especially after I might have dropped the tone arm or the stylus skipped - there are small hand microscopes available, 20 x magnification is sufficient.

The hours on the Cartridge is not an absolute answer. The kind of wear is also depending on what kind of records you play or to be more specific what condition they are in. If you play heavily worn and dirty records the stulys gets bad quicker.

Also if you play heavy metal it wears down almost instantly (just kidding it's your ears that wear down... :crazy: )

My stulys is from 1995 still going strong ;-)

Before you think I'm too crazy there was a long time I maybe only played an LP once every week or so.....It looks fine through a microscope and sounds great with no mistrackin. Only problem is with LPs with groove wear which I try to avoid anyway.