• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Along similar lines:

Going, Going, Gone: Vanishing Americana

This was originally published in 1994, so in the intervening 18 years many of the things covered have receded even further into the past, but there's still much of interest between its covers.

They really ought to print a new edition of this book, or simply do a volume 2.

Took care of that one last year. Opt out of dumb phonebook deliveries.

Some newspaper reporter (remember them?) did a quick bit of research and found that in many (most) parts of the city and suburbs, the people dropping off the phone books didn't have a no-drop off list on them and scoffed at the idea they would bother to consult one. So I suspect you'll still end up with the phone books for the near term at least.

Oh I'm sure it will happen. But it was a delight a few months ago to see neighbors with them on their porches but not on mine. Oregon is the least religious state in the lower 48 but if recycling was declared one we'd be near the top, so maybe the phone delivery folks here have more incentive not to offend. :lol:

24/7 Wall St. has an article today about brands that may not be around a year from now.

http://247wallst.com...appear-in-2013/

Avon

Metro PCS

The Oakland Raiders

salon.com

American Suzuki autos

RIM Blackberry

Current TV

Talbots (a favorite of my mother's years ago!)

American Airlines

Edited by GA Russell

24/7 Wall St. has an article today about brands that may not be around a year from now.

http://247wallst.com...appear-in-2013/

Avon

Metro PCS

The Oakland Raiders

salon.com

American Suzuki autos

RIM Blackberry

Current TV

Talbots (a favorite of my mother's years ago!)

American Airlines

The Raiders, really? Maybe not in Oakland, but surely the team will end up somewhere.

I recently read that Avon was making serious in-roads in Africa, so maybe they will just change their area of operations.

One thing that has basically gone away in the lower 48 is the ability to gather up your leaves and burn them in the backyard in the fall. We had a neighbor that had a steel barrel in his backyard and he would burn most of the leaves for the whole street. I have some fond memories of those days or rather evenings.

The privileged position of the Church of England (well, we can hope...).

Tax loop holes (ditto)

Backing you in your optimism, Bev, but realistically ... :unsure:

They've been with us since at least the Romans so I'm not holding my breath !

Spice Girls

Brit Art

those daft 1-man electric trolley things..

Music downloads. Replaced by streaming.

I think you're underestimating the compulsion to own or collect. Streaming will probably become the prime way people listen. And I'm sure other formats will replace the download.

But I'm sure most of us nutters will still be hoarding.

I'm very happy with the subscription streaming/offline model of Spotify & Rhapsody. I'm not a hoarder.

The rest of my hair will probably disappear in my lifetime.

The Ice Cream man, according to an article in yesterday's Times.

post-695-0-25597500-1341682005_thumb.jpg

This is Dave, the Good Humor man of my childhood. We lived in a first floor apartment, and when I'd hear his bells on my block I'd go to the window and yell out, "Dave, a chocolate chip candy!" and he'd deliver it to the window. (For you Europeans, the first floor in Brooklyn is the ground floor.)

Edited by Pete C

Music downloads. Replaced by streaming.

I think you're underestimating the compulsion to own or collect. Streaming will probably become the prime way people listen. And I'm sure other formats will replace the download.

But I'm sure most of us nutters will still be hoarding.

You can download streams.