How did The Kerry Dancers and In An English Country Garden

medjuck

Did it all start with Bird and his Anglophilia?

Kerry Dancers is Irish. English Country Gardens is Australian.

Percy Grainger?

There's a museum of Grainger in my home town, but I have never visited. I think his eccentric behaviours have been of interest to biographers and filmmakers.

Seems the melody is an old English folk song. Funny I always associate it with Noel Coward. Did he popularise it as well?

This topic (sort of) occurred to me yesterday when I was playing Here 'Tis. Baby Face Willette quotes Raymond Scott's In an 18th-century Drawing Room at one point -- another odd one that comes up surprisingly often, especially among organists. I've often wondered why.

Did it all start with Bird and his Anglophilia?

Kerry Dancers is Irish. English Country Gardens is Australian.

And then there's Bird's fondness for that bit from Carmen.

Not to mention his quoting Alphonse Picou's "High Society" clarinet solo.

Yes, originally collected by Cecil Sharp. I recall an MOR version being a hit back in the 60s. Not everyone was swinging then.

Having grown up in Australia on a diet of sober Black and White English late 50's/60's films, usually programmed on winter weekends or school holiday Midday Movie timeslots - I can understand that.

Yes, originally collected by Cecil Sharp. I recall an MOR version being a hit back in the 60s. Not everyone was swinging then.

Having grown up in Australia on a diet of sober Black and White English late 50's/60's films, usually programmed on winter weekends or school holiday Midday Movie timeslots - I can understand that.

Once you got out of the West End of London that's what the Sixties were really like in Britain!

Once you got out of the West End of London that's what the Sixties were really like in Britain!

:D But West London - out of the West End - Ealing, Kew, Southall, Hayes, Uxbridge, Wembley, Harrow, Alperton, Kingston, Richmond, were swinging sixties places.

Now, North London was enemy territory. I only went there once, with a friend whose aunts lived there. I NEVER went to the East End or South London, except when passing through - Balham, Gateway to the South.

MG

:D But West London - out of the West End - Ealing, Kew, Southall, Hayes, Uxbridge, Wembley, Harrow, Alperton, Kingston, Richmond, were swinging sixties places.

Now, North London was enemy territory. I only went there once, with a friend whose aunts lived there. I NEVER went to the East End or South London, except when passing through - Balham, Gateway to the South.

MG

Don't recall much going on in West Drayton when I lived there or Northwood where I often stayed with relatives (then again I was only between 5 & 15.

I suspect Newquay swung when the visitors arrived in the summer. But I recall it as more Billy Cotton than Small Faces.

Now, the wireless - that was quite different (well, some of the time).

Don't recall much going on in West Drayton when I lived there or Northwood where I often stayed with relatives (then again I was only between 5 & 15.

I worked in West Drayton for 4 years. Swinging it definitely wasn't. The 'lunchtime entertainment' in some of the pubs was interesting though. :lol:

Northwood was of course dominated by the nuclear bunker for NATO - surrounded by trees, golf courses and the blue-rinse brigade.

Edited by sidewinder

My uncle was very much the successful self-made businessman who bought a large property in Northwood to use his wealth. We were the poor relations who took advantage of it!

I also knew Ruislip for a while in the early 70s when my dad was based at RAF Northolt, air base of choice of the royals. Ruislip did not swing either - Elton John country, I recall!

My uncle was very much the successful self-made businessman who bought a large property in Northwood to use his wealth. We were the poor relations who took advantage of it!

I also knew Ruislip for a while in the early 70s when my dad was based at RAF Northolt, air base of choice of the royals. Ruislip did not swing either - Elton John country, I recall!

Which quotes did Bird use in "Ruislip/Northolt Blues"? :smirk:

I worked in West Drayton for 4 years. Swinging it definitely wasn't. The 'lunchtime entertainment' in some of the pubs was interesting though. :lol:

I worked for Joe Lyons in West Drayton during the summer of 1960, packing Wispas - Joe's answer to Maltesers. We could eat as much as we wanted and, to this day, I'm off Maltesers. My Missus can GUARANTEE that, if she gets Maltesers for herself, I won't snaffle them. Lunchtime entertainment there was - would you believe? - WORKERS' PLAYTIME!! On the radio in the factory canteen.

MG

Rocket Man? Crocodile Rock?

Although I hear the 60s through the conventional pop rock soundtrack I suspect the reality was more Two Way Family Favourites - the latter has something of a retreat from Empire ring to it.

Rocket Man? Crocodile Rock?

Although I hear the 60s through the conventional pop rock soundtrack I suspect the reality was more Two Way Family Favourites - the latter has something of a retreat from Empire ring to it.

Absolutely. Family Favourites followed by the Billy Cotton Bandshow, then Archie Andrews, with 'Ancock. Later, the Navy Lark, or Beyond Our Ken - but I think that was approaching the seventies. Sure Kenneth Williams very naughty double entendres wouldn't have made it in the early sixties.

MG