umpire ejects organist

As a stadium announcer I almost got tossed by the umpire because of a scoreboard malfunction.

He had pointed to the booth and gave me the heave-ho. I guess he figured I was trying to show him up on the ball-strike count. There was often a delay in the signal from the controls to the scoreboard, but it was sporadic or didn't register at all.

Thankfully, the coach talked him out of it. True story.

Edited by GoodSpeak

"As a stadium announcer I almost got tossed by the umpire because of a scoreboard malfunction.

He had pointed to the booth and gave me the heave-ho. I guess he figured I was trying to show him up on the ball-strike count. There was often a delay in the signal from the controls to the scoreboard, but it was sporadic or didn't register at all.

Thankfully, the coach talked him out of it. True story."

sweet--i am waiting for a book and movie on minor league umpires. it could be AWESOME!!!!!!!!

Doesn't change the story too much, but actually the intern was a DJ playing various recordings, including some organ music. He was fined $25, BTW.

Aha! A DJ, not an organist. A real live musician, with "tune chops" can really make a difference at a ball game, but you never hear them any more. The Toronto Blue Jays had a great one at the beginning 35 years ago, jazz pianist Ralph Fraser.

He also played at Maple Leaf Gardens for the hockey team, and for the Toronto Argonauts football club, so we used to ask sports fans "Who, in a single year, played for the Jays, the Leafs and the Argos?" They never got Ralph Fraser.

And now that I remember, the late Carol Britto occasionally subbed for Ralph at the ball games and did a fine job...

Two years ago, the Atlanta Braves got a hip new organist. Braves hitters have got their usual musical 'themes' but opponents are fair game for inside jokes.

When a Phillies player had been hit by a pitch, the tune for his next at-bat was 'All Blues'.

Probably no one would Know it, but "(What Did I Do To Be So) Black and Blue" would have worked well in that situation.