The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads

Quincy

For those of you who don't own the vinyl, the double live classic The Name Of This Band Is Talking Heads is going to be released on CD by Rhino sometime in the future. The whole catalog is getting the re-issue treatment btw.

The news announcement was posted by Chris Frantz on the Tom Tom Club message board according to the Talking-Heads.net.

As the double live LP was just a shade over 80 minutes long, the big question is whether they add bonus tracks or just trim applause.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well.......it's about damned time. Totally baffling to me why this was never issued on CD before. The two sets isseud on The Name of this Band is... are much better than Stop Making Sense in my opinion. I won't be buying a copy since I have the LP but it's certainly good news for CD buyers.

Edited by Brandon Burke

Alright!!!! I got the box set for Christmas, which has the track “A Clean Break,” so I’m very excited to hear this!

I guess I kinda figured their catalog would be getting the upgrade treatment. And if the box set is any indication, the upgrades oughta sound FANTASTIC! Me personally, I’ll pick up Fear of Music and Remain in Light if/when they become available.

But I’m DEFINITELY gonna get TNOTBITH!!!

The two sets isseud on The Name of this Band is... are much better than Stop Making Sense in my opinion.

Coincidentally, Stop Making Sense DVD is the darling of the Hi-Fi expos.

Seems like every company making high end a/v gear has one to show during their presentations.

'cause it IS damn good!

One big problem with the album "Stop Making Sense" is that it is only a sampling of songs from the movie "Stop Making Sense" leaving out some of the best numbers and disrupting the "plot" created by the film.

SMS is not, like TNOTBITTH, a live recording of a concert. It's a soundtrack from a film.

The two sets isseud on The Name of this Band is... are much better than Stop Making Sense in my opinion.

Seems like every company making high end a/v gear has one to show during their presentations.

'cause it IS damn good!

I'm not interested in whether or not is sounds great on $10,000 theatre systems. I'm sure it probably does but, then again, so do Jerry Bruckheimer movies so that doesn't say anything to me. I simply don't care for the song selection on Stop Maksng Sense. I would rather have heard "Mind", "Cities", "Animals", "Warning Sign", "Born Under Punches", etc.

Minew, are you confusing SMS and True Stories? That was the Talking Heads soundtrack to the David Byrne film.

Nope, the original release of the Stop Making Sense LP/CD/VHS only had a portion of the entire show. The latest reissue (the one from a couple of years ago) includes several extra songs interspersed (sp?) between the 'orignial' ones. This is to say, placed where they actually ocurred, with respct to the evening's proceedings, instead of tacked on as bonus material at the end.

Minew, are you confusing SMS and True Stories? That was the Talking Heads soundtrack to the David Byrne film.

No I mean that SMS is not a concert record. The performances in the film were taken from several concerts and edited together. The sound was retouched in post production. The resulting music is a soundtrack for the film SMS more than it is "live" recording. The SMS album (as originally released) was a disappointing sampler from the movie.

That said, I love the movie SMS and would like to have the full soundtrack. Of course, having the DVD would be just about as good.

'cause it IS damn good!

I'm not interested in whether or not is sounds great on $10,000 theatre systems.

$10,000?! Where you been, boy?

It takes more than that these days. Way more.

Great news, Quincy! I have the vinyl, but I'll gladly spring for a CD copy of this one just for the convenience. I generally only break out my vinyl of that period when I'm deep in the throes of nostalgia, which isn't often enough to hear this one!

Same with me. And I too am a bit surprised that this hasn't been issued on CD before... But that's the music biz for ya!

'cause it IS damn good!

I'm not interested in whether or not is sounds great on $10,000 theatre systems.

$10,000?! Where you been, boy?

It takes more than that these days. Way more.

Poor and in graduate school, my man. B)

Either way, point taken. I hear ya.

Edited by Brandon Burke

Hallelujah!

I will eagerly replace my cassette dub of a store-bought cassette circa 1985. An excellent collection of material from their early days (Talking Heads: 77, etc.), including "Building on Fire" and "A Clean Break" which I believe don't appear elsewhere on official LPs (if we can still call them that), and material from the Remain in Light era which I think holds its own against SMS.

As I understand it, issuing delays were caused at least in part by disagreements between Byrne and the rest of the band. The website mentioned above used to have threads discussing this [They may still be there, I will confess to not visiting this excellent site in years.] One of their FAQs even addresses the unavailability of this great album.

The expanded SMS does improve it as a "concert document", but not to the level of The Name of this Band Is... . I'm looking forward to this one.

...you pulled me up, you pulled me up, you pulled me up, up, UP, UP

Fantastic news! Just a couple of weeks ago I was digging the expanded re-issue of STOP MAKING SENSE. I've held off on buying the studio CDs, and glad now that I did... REMAIN IN LIGHT and FEAR OF MUSIC head the priority list, followed closely by MORE SONGS ABOUT BUILDINGS AND FOOD.

More Songs About Buildings and Food is one of the great albums of all time. Maybe THAT would make a good non-jazz AOTW.

• 6 months later...