Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never got through Ulysses. Never made more than a dent in Finnegans Wake. Didn't like Portrait of the Artist. Liked but didn't love Dubliners. I'm definitely not a Joycean, but his disciple Samuel Beckett is in the pantheon for me as a reader and a writer, as is Joyce's arch-enemy Gertrude Stein.

I think I read Portrait (the first time) and Dubliners at the "right time" in life, i.e. as a precocious teenager. At that time, I was more willing to dig in a bit deeper and work at the novel (as the modernists intended) and that leaves me more willing to go back to those works. In contrast, I have been trying without success to read Nicholas Mosley's Hopeful Monsters. I suspect I would have gotten through it when I was younger, but I just find its modernist leanings/trappings are too much for me now (with my vastly reduced leisure time), and I can't be bothered. It's also very possible the payoff is not as high as for T.S. Eliot or Joyce.

Similarly, I wonder how I would react to Djuna Barnes' Nightwood if I read it now (must have read it in college). It's short enough that I could certainly tackle it again. However, I never did get around to reading Anais Nin's Cities of the Interior and the window may have closed on when I would have appreciated that work the most. Again, hard to say...

However, I do like Beckett quite a bit and have seen most of his plays (live, not only on those BBC DVDs). Oddly, I have never gotten around to reading his trilogy, but I surely intend to...

Edited by ejp626

Oddly, I have never gotten around to reading his trilogy, but I surely intend to...

Molloy is possibly my favorite novel, and relatively accessible, then they get progressively more difficult. IIRC, The Unnameable may be one long paragraph.

Sounds a bit like Garcia Marquez's Autumn of the Patriach. Starts out fairly simple, but by the end, an entire chapter is made up of a single sentence! Actually I did like this quite a bit and do hope to reread one of these days...

Should wrap up Headhunter this weekend. Am reading a bit of Ishmael Reed's Flight to Canada. It's a lot more polemical and less fun than his earlier works like The Free-lance Pallbearers. I suspect I'll make it through the book but it's feeling like quite a slog.

Also started These Festive Nights (Soifs) by Marie-Claire Blais. Too early to say how I'll like it.

Have a couple shorter books to read after that. I am back to trying to clear out some books from my house, after a year-long diversion to reading primarily Canadian fiction.

the-likeness_l1.jpg

Tana French: The Likeness

Somewhat strange book. Began as a police procedural, seemed as if it was going to take off into another realm, then reverted to police procedural. It's a good read but, perhaps because I sensed that Tana French was such an intelligent and skillful writer, I expected more and was left with some disappointment.