Now reading...

On 4/22/2024 at 8:24 AM, Referentzhunter said:

cms_visual_1450127.jpg_1596675855000_1077x1800-0e2029a6f4.jpg

Chekhov is a MASTER.  :tup 

I was recently re-reading some of his short stories in this Pevear/Volokhonsky translation:

711qDXjivjL._SY566_.jpg

Two Russian giants, Chekhov & Tolstoy:

774px-Tolstoy_and_chekhov.jpg

Edited by HutchFan

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm not going to read all of it, but in memory of Alice Munro's passing, RIP, I'll read a couple of the shorter short stories from The Love of a Good Woman tonight.

I've been somewhat slowly going through her collections in order and only got to the midway point last year.  The collection Love of a Good Woman is the next up.

I think my favorite overall collection so far is Moons of Jupiter, followed by Lives of Girls and Women.

2 hours ago, ejp626 said:

I'm not going to read all of it, but in memory of Alice Munro's passing, RIP, I'll read a couple of the shorter short stories from The Love of a Good Woman tonight.

I've been somewhat slowly going through her collections in order and only got to the midway point last year.  The collection Love of a Good Woman is the next up.

I think my favorite overall collection so far is Moons of Jupiter, followed by Lives of Girls and Women.

My favorite has always been the book titled "Who Do You Think You Are?" (a quintessentially Canadian title)  but retitled "The Beggar Maid" in the US.  

IMG_6365-L.jpg

Just finished this incredible book about a French writer who tries to find out about a postcard that her mother receives that lists the names of her relatives who died in the Holocaust. 

1 hour ago, Referentzhunter said:

Disappointed in this book. Way to slowwww for me, not enough substance.

777x1200.jpg

I had trouble with the book too but I want to give it another try. I wouldn’t say it didn’t have enough substance.