Now reading...

Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Re-reading this fine novel!

It is indeed.

Have you read Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go'? Works in a similar sort of distorted near future. The title comes from the tune much beloved of jazzers.

Indeed I have read it and liked it very much. I think Ishiguro must be into our sort of music. His recent story collection Nocturnes is based on the experiences of musicians, most of whom are in Great American Songbook mode, rather than classical or pop.

He wrote the lyrics to some of the songs on the last Stacey Kent album.

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Margaret Atwood, The Handmaid's Tale

Re-reading this fine novel!

It is indeed.

Have you read Kazuo Ishiguro's 'Never Let Me Go'? Works in a similar sort of distorted near future. The title comes from the tune much beloved of jazzers.

Indeed I have read it and liked it very much. I think Ishiguro must be into our sort of music. His recent story collection Nocturnes is based on the experiences of musicians, most of whom are in Great American Songbook mode, rather than classical or pop.

He wrote the lyrics to some of the songs on the last Stacey Kent album.

Good on yer, Kazuo!

51iaQPuTrkL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA240_SH20_OU02_.jpg

Second of Downing's 'station' books I've read. This one is set in Berlin (and various points beyond) in early 1939 from New Year to the invasion of Czechoslovakia. A good thriller by someone who has clearly studied the gazeteers of European cities in the 1930s. Would appeal to anyone who likes the writing of Phillip Kerr or Alan Furst.

The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played It by Lawrence Ritter. A book of interviews of players who were in the Major Leagues in the early 1900s. I first read this book when I was eleven, and it was like reading a science fiction book, because it described a world that was so different and strange. Really? teams went to games in horse drawn carriages? No cars? People were allowed to be strange and different? Who is the world is this Rube Waddell character? John McGraw was the greatest manager ever? The America I was reading about was a strange and wonderful place that was so different then to what I was living, I was enthralled and entranced reading this book. I've returned to it many times over the years, and when I get to the last page of the book, with the great picture of Honus Wagner and John McGraw talking (click on picture for larger view), with the caption underneath: It seems like it all happened yesterday, a wave of emotion always comes over me. Truly, an amazing book of an America and of a way of baseball long gone.

The Glory of Their Times: The Story of the Early Days of Baseball Told by the Men Who Played It by Lawrence Ritter. A book of interviews of players who were in the Major Leagues in the early 1900s. I first read this book when I was eleven, and it was like reading a science fiction book, because it described a world that was so different and strange. Really? teams went to games in horse drawn carriages? No cars? People were allowed to be strange and different? Who is the world is this Rube Waddell character? John McGraw was the greatest manager ever? The America I was reading about was a strange and wonderful place that was so different then to what I was living, I was enthralled and entranced reading this book. I've returned to it many times over the years, and when I get to the last page of the book, with the great picture of Honus Wagner and John McGraw talking (click on picture for larger view), with the caption underneath: It seems like it all happened yesterday, a wave of emotion always comes over me. Truly, an amazing book of an America and of a way of baseball long gone.

Great book. Read it when I was a kid also; still have it.

The Collect Stories of Lydia Davis. Heard some good and bad things about this book, even though the New York Times had a rave review. I must say that I'm very impressed (and I'm only 150 pages in) by Davis, as in this book you can see her experimenting with the short story form, and succeeding. Highly recommended to short story fans -- heck, to anyone who likes good writing.

41JzvHKh2iL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

edit for grammar & spelling.

Edited by Matthew

41Y-Bn9b95L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The last of the four Javier Falcon quartet. A taught, exciting thriller - given how much running around there is, Hollywood might just get interested.

The Wilson books set in Seville are highly recommended if you enjoy a contemporary thriller/detective novel. There are also two excellent books set in Lisbon.

I must read his first four African novels.

Just finished Martin Amis's "Einstein's Monsters". A collection of 5 short stories written in the mid-1980s, reflecting Amis's paranoia about nuclear war.

My favourite of the bunch was "The Time Disease" which I thought distinctly Anthony Burgess-like. On reading Amis's introduction afterwards, he states it was inspired by J.G.Ballard - shows what I know!