Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick. Strangely enough, for the first time ever in my life, I'm becoming interested in Elvis, even going so far as listening to the Elvis station on XM Satellite Radio. This book is turing out to be a good introduction to his early life, stopping at Elvis' induction into the Army. An interesting read on someone I never had any interest in before.

2-9.jpg

Slightly more than halfway through Nabokov's The Defense (or The Luzhin Defense). Just not that interesting to me (actually Zweig's The Royal Game covers much the same territory and is marginally more effective). To be honest, I wasn't that gripped by King, Queen, Knave either, though the plot is a little more compelling. If I don't start enjoying these novels more, I am going to scrap my plan to read all his major novels. I don't want this to become a chore.

Because I was traveling, I had a chance to read several shorter works (I didn't bring the Nabokov since it was a library book and sets off most sensors). I finished Transparency: Stories by Frances Hwang, which are interesting set pieces in a melancholy mode. She claims to be inspired most by Russian authors like Dostoevsky and Chekhov, as well as by Alice Munro.

A somewhat more substantial work I started on the journey was Antal Szerb's Journey by Moonlight. This is apparently a very well known Hungarian novel, but only appeared in English translation in 2000. It's good so far with the narrator drawing on childhood, perhaps as a more active, more engaged Proust-like figure.

Coincidentally, a copy of Mahfouz's The Mirage showed up at the library through interlibrary loan, so I'll basically read these together, and this seems a good pairing.

The last thing is I am working my way through Werner Herzog's Conquest of the Useless: Reflections from the Making of Fitzcarraldo, which is what is says on the tin. Absolute madness to try to make this film in the jungle. In many ways the back story is just as incredible as the finished film.

Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley by Peter Guralnick. Strangely enough, for the first time ever in my life, I'm becoming interested in Elvis, even going so far as listening to the Elvis station on XM Satellite Radio. This book is turing out to be a good introduction to his early life, stopping at Elvis' induction into the Army. An interesting read on someone I never had any interest in before.

2-9.jpg

That's an excellent biography--I was (and am) somewhat the same way about Elvis, Matthew. It's interesting to read Guralnick's book just for the sense of how and why he became so important to American culture in the late 1950s.

2-9.jpg

That's an excellent biography--I was (and am) somewhat the same way about Elvis, Matthew. It's interesting to read Guralnick's book just for the sense of how and why he became so important to American culture in the late 1950s.

Guralnick was born to write this book. Although his other music-related books are worth checking out too.

Isaac Asimov Presents the Best Science Fiction Firsts

Collection of first stories to deal with major science fiction themes. Some very readable stuff here.

What are some of the stories in this anthology? Amazon won't tell me a thing.

tumblr_l0srzeTHxK1qzhoguo1_500.jpg

i just finished this last night. i definitely enjoyed it and laughed plenty. also some very personal revelations on her life but she still comes off as somewhat guarded. and that's fine. i just count on her to make me laugh most of the time, and she does.

essentially, if you like her already, you'll dig the book. she can really write (which shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone familar with her stuff...). but if you're one of the many people out there who find her offensive, don't waste your time. this book will not change your attitude toward her.

Collection of first stories to deal with major science fiction themes. Some very readable stuff here.

John D Clark, "Minus Planet" (1937)

Fritz Leiber, "Yesterday House" (1952)

Larry Niven, "Neutron Star" (1966)

Lester del Rey, "The Faithful" (1938)

Don Wilcox, "The Voyage That Lasted 600 Years" (1940)

- that's as far as I've got! :)

Finished it.

0394746163.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Was sad learning that the author killed himself, read two books of him, the other being Big trouble and he could sure tell a story. Heard little prior to reading this book about busing. To resume this book, I would say the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Next book is

welcome_to_the_monkey_house.large.jpg

Never read him before, have started picking up what I can find from him at the used bookstore, will start with this one, as the jacket says the first stories are a bit Orvellesque indeed, any other recommendations ?

Next book is

Never read him before, have started picking up what I can find from him at the used bookstore, will start with this one, as the jacket says the first stories are a bit Orvellesque indeed, any other recommendations ?

The wonderful and bizarre Slaughterhouse Five is generally considered to be his masterpiece. Although I haven't read Vonnegut for years, perhaps my favorite is Mother Night, about a guy who is a Nazi propagandist, or maybe isn't a Nazi propagandist. The conclusion is "Be careful what you pretend to be, because that's what you are."

Edited by jeffcrom

Next book is

You simply have to read Slaughterhouse Five, but I'd recommend pretty much anything by Vonnegut. Player Piano is a little conventional, but even it is worth reading.

Damn; did you have to post this? I feel one of my periodical Vonnegut binges coming on...

At the height of my Vonnegut phase my favorite was Cat's Cradle.

Gee, the only one of those I'm familiar with is "Neutron Star."

At the height of my Vonnegut phase my favorite was Cat's Cradle.

Gee, the only one of those I'm familiar with is "Neutron Star."

How do you shape up with the rest? (The last is the only one I've come across before.)

Edgar Allan Poe, "Cosmic Disaster" (1839)

Murray Leinster, "A Logic Named Joe" (1946)

Fitz-James O'Brien, "What Was It?" (1859) and "The Diamond Lens" (1858)

Richard Matheson, "The Test" (1954)

Isaac Asimov, "Reason" (1941)

H G Wells, "The Land Ironclads" (1903)

• 2 weeks later...