Now reading...

• Replies 9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Stieg Larsson's "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Totally misleading title, nice ideas, some good characters, awful plot and piss poor writing. An excellent mindless summer read or a cure for reader's block.

So you're saying in a year or two, we'll look back and wonder "what was that all about" (it being the flavor of the month)? I'm seeing it everywhere -- on the train, at the office, even in the hands of someone waiting to get into an Audrey Niffenegger reading.

I'm sure the film rights are already being procured...

About halfway through Seven Serpents and Seven Moons by Demetrio Aguilera-Malta

Somewhat overripe magic realism (about half the characters can turn into animals of one sort or another, plus there is a wise-cracking Jesus statue who occasionally comes down from his Cross). Probably this can be laid at the feet of Garcia-Marquez...

On deck is Kirn's Up in the Air, which yes was just released as a movie with George Clooney. I've actually owned it for a long time, but would like to read it first before I rent the movie via Netflix.

Edited by ejp626

Just finished Joe Pernice's - It Feels So Good When I Stop. Excellent read... kinda like flipping through a modern Nightwawks at the Diner

Oh my gosh!!!!!! Someone here other than me knows of the existence of the great and wonderful Joe Pernice! You now can do no wrong in my book! :cool:

Oh my gosh!!!!!! Someone here other than me knows of the existence of the great and wonderful Joe Pernice! You now can do no wrong in my book! :cool:

:tup on JP! Love his songwork and now, along with his Meat is Murder novella, his books. Have you picked up the "soundtrack" and 7" accompanying the book? Excellent stuff as always.

About halfway through Seven Serpents and Seven Moons by Demetrio Aguilera-Malta

Somewhat overripe magic realism (about half the characters can turn into animals of one sort or another, plus there is a wise-cracking Jesus statue who occasionally comes down from his Cross). Probably this can be laid at the feet of Garcia-Marquez...

What a huge disappointment. He sets up 3 or four plotlines, and then just ends the story right before the climax. The rest of the novel doesn't make up for this deliberate lack of closure. For instance, I found the refusal to wrap up the plotlines in Murakami's After Dark disappointing, but I enjoyed the rest of the ride.

On deck is Kirn's Up in the Air, which yes was just released as a movie with George Clooney. I've actually owned it for a long time, but would like to read it first before I rent the movie via Netflix.

Slightly higher hopes for this.

:tup on JP! Love his songwork and now, along with his Meat is Murder novella, his books. Have you picked up the "soundtrack" and 7" accompanying the book? Excellent stuff as always.

Indeed, not just that, but everything by JP is excellent stuff.

Beloved is incredible. Although I've yet to read a book by Morrison I haven't liked. Even Paradise, which I've failed to finish in four tries gets my nod. Morrison regularly gives me a kick upside the head and rearranges my thinking; I can't ask for more than that from a novel.

Doubleday Anchor Bible volume of Genesis -- translation and extensive notes and commentary by E.A. Speiser. Have read this Genesis before, and each time it's like veils are lifting. The relationship between the various authors or teams of authors (J., P., and E.) is quite clear, and Speiser's account of what those authors were "saying" (quotes are necessary here, for reasons Speiser explains lucidly and at some length) is convincing and enlightening, at least to me; but I'm no scholar here.