Taylor Ho Bynum

Clunky

0000832212_350.jpg

True Events- (482 Music) - ace duet with Fujiwara

211TiTxbJvL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Apparent Distance- (Firehouse 12)- just got this one and still taking it in, seems to go all over the place with each track sounding very different

fd4ebd7f76ebe7f0c725fa1f12a4cdb0.jpg

Book Of Three - (Rogue Art)- possibly my favourite THB disc but it's a tough choice

Any love out there for Taylor Ho Bynum. I think I first came across THB on his hatOLOGY set in 2008 , then with Alexander Hawkins and I've been exploring his music since. He seems to have great ideas , superb chops and keeps great company. These three have been in heavy rotation recently and are all very different. I need to go back to Asphalt Flowers Forking Paths and re-listen to it but his name has become a sure sign for me that I'll enjoy a session. Anyone else ?

Huge fan. I first heard him on Duets (Wesleyan) 2002 and have sought out everything he works on ever since. That Book of Three trio is fantastic. On his website there's a download of a show of theirs that's well worth a listen. His admixture of Bubber Miley and Bill Dixon is really something, but he has his own voice as well. Also, as you alluded to, he does great work with the music as the head of the Tri-Centric Foundation and Festival for New Trumpet Music, and with Firehouse 12. Thumbs up from me.

Another fan here but with some reservations that his technique sometimes overshadows the music.

Enjoyed him live with Braxton (Leo CD Royal Festival Hall) first, then with Convergence Qt and also Thirteenth Assembly.

Other recordings not mentioned already that I've enjoyed: both Thirteenth Assembly albums; Middle Picture (Firehouse) is possibly my favourite of his leader dates; another duet with Fujiwara on Not Two. I blow hot and cold on the Spider Monkey Ensemble with hhis sister's spoken word.

Fujiwara is also very impressive, very melodic drummer (and composer) - his leader dates on 482 impress

I've got that Matana on Utech and never realised Ho Bynum was on it!

Think I'll give Apparent Distance a spin right now.

Like Colinmce, I first heard him on Duets (Wesleyan) 2002 and now consider him, along with Mary Halvorson, to be the two finest current interpreters of Braxton's music. Any CD with the Diamond Curtain Wall trio of Braxton, Halvorson and Bynum, or Quartet with Bassoonist Katherine Young, is worthwhile. Of his own work I like Asphalt Flowers quite a bit; I was a little disappointed in Apparent Distance. Between him, Nate Wooley and Peter Evans, the future of the trumpet is bright.

• 1 year later...

Taylor Ho Bynum is doing an Acoustic Bicycle Tour next month, starting in Vancouver and cycling his way down the coast to Mexico.

http://taylorhobynum.com/the-acoustic-bicycle-tour/

That's too cool. My sister-in-law, an amateur cellist, lives within walking distance of Lake Padden (Bellingham, Washington), where he's playing on August 31. I'll send her the link.

Taylor Ho Bynum is doing an Acoustic Bicycle Tour next month, starting in Vancouver and cycling his way down the coast to Mexico.

http://taylorhobynum.com/the-acoustic-bicycle-tour/

That's too cool. My sister-in-law, an amateur cellist, lives within walking distance of Lake Padden (Bellingham, Washington), where he's playing on August 31. I'll send her the link.

Digging into the site a little more, it looks like he will only be camping at Lake Padden, not playing. Too bad.

Aside from the interesting cycling angle, Taylor Ho Bynum has arranged some first-rate concerts: Cuong Vu, James, Fei, Lisa Mezzacappa, Phillip Greenlief, Myra Melford, Anthony Braxton Trio, Nicole Mitchell, Mark Dresser et al. I hope these will be recorded, or at least put up on YT.