almost every new storm gets the 'greatest danger' hype

spikie, onstage, in nyc just mentioned, under his breath, that this is just one more step toward a police state.

:wacko:

I mean what do you think the "authorities" should or should not do in this situation? Go balls-out libertarian, every man for himself, and let's pick up the pieces afterwards?

Now if you're talking about jumbo soft drinks...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like Sandy is deserving of the attention she is receiving, sadly. I hope that crane situation resolves w/o taking any lives. So many disturbing images from NYC, Atlantic City and other places. This is some serious shit!

Sending positive thoughts to board members and friends and families of same in the NE.

Edited by Free For All

CNN has people in waders out in the streets. I don't remember waders during Katrina. Are they hoping to get some fly-fishing in?

The snow is what's freaking me out, in terms of "what I was expecting". Four feet in some places already. I even heard that some ski resorts are planning to open. That just seems...weird.

Y'all take care, rain or snow.

there are even some storm effects in cleveland ohio.

"the outer lanes of Interstate 90 eastbound at East 55th Street were closed due to flooding as were all westbound lanes at East 72nd Street. Motorists are being detoured via East 72nd Street to St. Clair Avenue to East 55th Street to I-90 westbound."

-------------

wcbs-am radio just reported that water is nearing their transmitter and is expecting to go off the air.

NY mayor’s office reports 911 dispatchers are receiving about 10,000 calls per half hour.

-------------

http://live.nydailynews.com/Event/Tracking_Hurricane_Sandy_2

Edited by alocispepraluger102

Statement from MTA Chairman Joseph J.Lhota on Service Recovery:

The New York City subway system is 108 years old, but it has never faced a disaster as devastating as what we experienced last night. Hurricane Sandy wreaked havoc on our entire transportation system, in every borough and county of the region. It has brought down trees, ripped out power and inundated tunnels, rail yards and bus depots. As of last night, seven subway tunnels under the East River flooded. Metro-North Railroad lost power from 59th Street to Croton-Harmon on the Hudson Line and to New Haven on the New Haven Line. The Long Island Rail Road evacuated its West Side Yards and suffered flooding in one East River tunnel. The Hugh L. Carey Tunnel is flooded from end to end and the Queens Midtown Tunnel also took on water and was closed. Six bus garages were disabled by high water. We are assessing the extent of the damage and beginning the process of recovery. Our employees have shown remarkable dedication over the past few days, and I thank them on behalf of every New Yorker. In 108 years, our employees have never faced a challenge like the one that confronts us now. All of us at the MTA are committed to restoring the system as quickly as we can to help bring New York back to normal.

Lots of wind where we are (upper west side). Our dog is terrified. Stressful experience, crossing our fingers for those people who have lost power and/or are suffering from flooding. Hope board members in south Jersey, Delaware and Maryland are OK.

Looks like we got off relatively lucky on the UWS (though who knows when/if our power will go out). I walked around with Henry the dog and some trees were knocked down along with various scaffolding, etc. I didn't see any major damage.

Hope people in harder-hit areas are OK.

From my windows, I expected to see some felled trees or broken branches in Central Park this morning, but everything looked normal. Well, almost, for there were no lit windows across the park. The electric power must have been off on the Upper East Side and, of course, there was no traffic on the Triboro Bridge—reminded me of the days following 9/11/01.

My wife and I live in a western suburb of Cleveland. My mother lives in a neighboring suburb where the half the houses, including hers, are without power. Mom is staying with us since the power is estimated to be off anywhere from one to seven days. Fallen trees blocked some roads, one of which fell on and destroyed mom's neighbors garage. This storm covered a huge area.

Mom in CT has lost power but we were really concerned about trees coming down across the driveway (which is quite long) or trees damaging the house but none of that came to pass. Now we're just hoping that Westchester Airport opens tomorrow and Jetblue resumes service. She is booked on a flight to Fort Myers on Thursday to come down and resume her search for her next home. She needs to be able to get to the airport but I am somewhat optimistic that her flight will be in the air Thursday, which would mean I get a two day vacation in Naples starting Friday afternoon. :)

I was watching the footage last night and thinking this was pretty much the worst case scenario, with all the power of the storm pushing water right along the New Jersey shore and into Manhattan. Up here in upstate New York, we got lucky. Some strong winds and a few power outages, but not much rain and no flooding. Today everything is back to normal. I can't imagine the economic damage this storm has done, given what happened in Atlantic City, Jersey City and Manhattan last night, not to mention Long Island.

I was watching the footage last night and thinking this was pretty much the worst case scenario with all the power of the storm pushing water right along the New Jersey shore and into Manhattan.

No, it wasn't.

As long as there are not people trapped inside houses or on rooftops or inside a sporting facility for days on end, or terminally ill patients in hospitals being euthanized because help is not on the way, or whole cities being leveled as if they were never there, or atomic power plants melting down, or death tolls not in five, four, or even "just" in the high three figures (right now, it's at 30 in the US and 67 in the Caribbean), this was not the worst case scenario, not by a long shot.

Don't misunderstand me, this was one nasty, scary, bigass storm that has done and will continue to do a lot of damage, but from all accounts I'm hearing, we're looking at a type of damage that is, on the grand scale of possible outcomes, looking to be more a matter of massive inconvenience and an economic blunt trauma that A Great Human Tragedy.

I do not minimize that, that's some real shit, it's definitely bad, but "worst possible outcome" of a Massive Weather Event Meets Massive Population scenario? Not really.