MLB Hot Stove League 2012-13

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read in today's newspaper that the Giants will be losing 8 players to the World Baseball Championship [including Pablo Sandoval].

Where I hope the WBC is a great competition, I also worry about how the Giants will gel without several of their players on the team during Spring Training.

Any of you guys seeing this happening on your teams?

Unless you have middle infielders who need time to work on turning double plays, or a new catcher who needs to learn the staff, why worry about players "gelling"? This isn't basketball or football.

Good point.

They're all pros, right? Maybe i worry too much.

First A-Rod, then Granderson, and now Teixeira. He is out until mid-May with a wrist tendon injury.

Could the Yankees be following in the Red Sox footsteps of a season of hellacious injuries? BWAHAHAHAHA.

Kind of an amusing article on MLB about how Yankee fans are in for something new this year.

"If the Yankees did happen to win the World Series, you immediately began wringing your hands about the following season. Yankees fans only seemed happy when they were unhappy. There was always trouble around the corner."

Not that that sounds like anything around here? :lol:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130306&content_id=42370162&vkey=news_mlb&c_id=mlb

He also got his ass kicked by the D'Backs in the World Series and the BoSox in the ALCS.

It was AWESOME! :g:g

he didn't get his ass kicked by the D-Backs, he made a bad throw on a bunt and a bloop over a drawn-in infield won the game for the D-Backs.

The outcome was the same; that's all that matters. The Yankees have managed to avoid the natural order and cycle of things in baseball for far too long. Hopefully, they'll be paying for that over the next several years. They now appear even more mismatched than the Knicks, so I'm guessing that they will be sucking at least for a few years.

He also got his ass kicked by the D'Backs in the World Series and the BoSox in the ALCS.

he didn't get his ass kicked by the D-Backs, he made a bad throw on a bunt and a bloop over a drawn-in infield won the game for the D-Backs.

The outcome was the same; that's all that matters. The Yankees have managed to avoid the natural order and cycle of things in baseball for far too long. Hopefully, they'll be paying for that over the next several years. They now appear even more mismatched than the Knicks, so I'm guessing that they will be sucking at least for a few years.

So if a guy trips and breaks his nose it's the same as if he were in a fight and got his nose broken because the result is the same?!!! In the game that Goodspeak referred to, Rivera made a bad throw and a bloop over a drawn-in infield was the game/series winning hit. How can anyone characterize that as an 'ass-kicking'?

So if a guy trips and breaks his nose it's the same as if he were in a fight and got his nose broken because the result is the same?!!! In the game that Goodspeak referred to, Rivera made a bad throw and a bloop over a drawn-in infield was the game/series winning hit. How can anyone characterize that as an 'ass-kicking'?

So, Mo NEVER got his ass kicked?

Just playin' devil's advocate here. It's pretty easy to say, and as obvious as obvious gets in this day and age, that he will be called the best RP of all time. I've seen him pitch often enough; I know he's good. He's probably a first ballot hall of famer. Great. But, how would he have done if his talents weren't so specialized and focused on one inning dominance? Is he as good as Goose Gossage, for instance? Just asking. I know it's difficult to make comparisons from era to era, but there's nothing that states that all later era players surpass all earlier era players.

Depends on your definition, apparently.

Here's one of the best closers in MLB history and he came apart in the WS in the SEVENTH game to lose in a series the Yankees clearly controlled at one point.

Now, if that isn't an ass kicking, I don't know what is.

The BoSox busted his chops in the post season, too.

Edited by GoodSpeak

Just playin' devil's advocate here. It's pretty easy to say, and as obvious as obvious gets in this day and age, that he will be called the best RP of all time. I've seen him pitch often enough; I know he's good. He's probably a first ballot hall of famer. Great. But, how would he have done if his talents weren't so specialized and focused on one inning dominance? Is he as good as Goose Gossage, for instance? Just asking. I know it's difficult to make comparisons from era to era, but there's nothing that states that all later era players surpass all earlier era players.

If you check his playoff record you'll see that he was used for more than one inning (IP > G). The broadcasters used to make a big deal about it until it got to be commonplace in the postseason. I get ya as far modern use of the best guy in the bullpen - too many managers are flat out stupid saving the best for the 9th inning, even if it's vs. 7-9 in the lineup. At least in the playoffs Yankee managers were usually bright enough to use him in the 8th when needed. And of course by not using him that way in the regular season they didn't kill the golden goose.

All relievers get burned eventually, especially if facing Kirk Gibson in the World Series (Goose & Eck). :lol:

Edited by Quincy

I get ya as far modern use of the best guy in the bullpen - too many managers are flat out stupid saving him for the 9th inning, even if it's vs. 7-9 in the lineup

Seems to be a lot of contemplation about the whole "role of the closer" thing going on now, like, if we bring him in for an out or two in the eighth, will he still have it for the ninth? And/or. well, we got a fire we need putting out right NOW in the 7th, but let's save our best guy until we possibly blow this thing and then don't need him at all?

This appears to be one of those times in baseball evolution where the window is open for That One Guy to come along that completely changes the "conventional wisdom" and then everybody else sees how, DUH, yeah, it's obvious that THAT'S the way to do it. At least until somebody else redefines it yet again. :g

In the meantime, the whole "role" thing is really boring, but when it works, it's a beautiful thing to see, at least when it happens to your guys (and gals!). And when it doesn't work, is it really anything other than a pitcher who doesn't make the pitches consistently enough ends up getting burned, so, yeah, make those pitches and all will be well. Is it really any more complicated than that, at least as much as anything can be not really any more complicated than that?