Jazz on Vanguard Records

Head Man

Those early Vanguards in mono (maroon label, silver print, 1955-63) and stereo (black label, silver print, 1958-63) have always been hard to find in any condition. Not because they're 'holy grails' but primarily due to channels of distribution beyond NYC.

The only place I've ever seen the 'Dave Burns' on sale was in a record store in NYC. About $20 - but sadly it was beat up. :(

Both of the Burns have been out on reissue vinyl though during the 2000s.

There are also Japanese King pressings on vinyl that sound good and shouldn't be too tough to source.

In the early '90s, FNAC Music France reissued a number of CDs (with original covers and liner notes) from the Vanguard John Hammond series. Those included the albums from Buck Clayton, Jo Jones, Jimmy Rushing, Sir Charles Thompson, Mel Powell and others.

They may be pretty hard to find these days...

Edited by brownie

Those 1950's Vanguard sessions sounded terrific, as they were recorded by knowledgeable engineers in the great acoustics of that Apostolic studio the label owned at the time. To me, they rank along with the best mainstream recordings of the time. They really would deserve the Mosaic treatment. But ....

Those 1950's Vanguard sessions sounded terrific, as they were recorded by knowledgeable engineers in the great acoustics of that Apostolic studio the label owned at the time. To me, they rank along with the best mainstream recordings of the time. They really would deserve the Mosaic treatment. But ....

Totally agree. I have both the Jo Jones and Vic Dickinson 2LP sets and they are absolutely classic mainstream - up there in terms of quality with the likes of the Buck Clayton Jam Sessions on Columbia.