"Sessions, Live" LP, featuring Buddy DeFranco Quintet and Art

sgcim

I came across this vinyl yesterday, and the liner notes completely screwed up the personnel, but someone (it was at a used record store) had written in the corrected personnel. I was able to listen to it at the store, and the info written in was correct.

This was DeFranco's Quintet with Sonny Clark and Tal Farlow.

This was at Farlow's zenith (it was all downhill after 1959), and his discography has no sideman credits for the year the liner notes said it was recorded, 1957. The person that wrote on the LP said that it was taken from a Californian TV show, but didn't give the date. This wasn't on the Mosaic DeFranco collection. The sides this group recorded in the studio were done in either '55 or 56.

Anyone know anything about this LP?

There were only three cuts by DeFranco's group on it: "Fascinatin' Rhythm", "I Loves You, Porgy", and "Concerto for the Machine Age" (actually an uptempo version of "Now's The Time").

I used to see those Sessions Live LPs all the time, and never picked them up. I regret that now. They did come from some TV show, and there were several issued. Here's what the Lord discography says:

Sessions, live:

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Sonny Clark (p) Tal Farlow (g) Gene Wright (b) Bobby White (d)

Los Angeles, April 7, 1957

Fascinating rhythm Calliope CAL3015

I loves you Porgy -

Concerto for the heartbeat and machine age -

Art Pepper

Sessions, Live:

Art Pepper (as,cl-1) Larry Bunker (p) Don Payne (b) Chuck Flores (d)

"Stars of Jazz Show", Los Angeles, March 31, 1957

All the things you are Calliope CAL3015

Everythings happens to me -

St. Louis blues (1) -

Taboo (ap out) (unissued)

I used to see those Sessions Live LPs all the time, and never picked them up. I regret that now. They did come from some TV show, and there were several issued. Here's what the Lord discography says:

Sessions, live:

Buddy DeFranco (cl) Sonny Clark (p) Tal Farlow (g) Gene Wright (b) Bobby White (d)

Los Angeles, April 7, 1957

Fascinating rhythm Calliope CAL3015

I loves you Porgy -

Concerto for the heartbeat and machine age -

Art Pepper

Sessions, Live:

Art Pepper (as,cl-1) Larry Bunker (p) Don Payne (b) Chuck Flores (d)

"Stars of Jazz Show", Los Angeles, March 31, 1957

All the things you are Calliope CAL3015

Everythings happens to me -

St. Louis blues (1) -

Taboo (ap out) (unissued)

the three DeFranco titles are included as a bonus on the the 2007 CD issue (Definitive Records) of "The Buddy DeFranco Wailers"

The last title is also known as "Now's The Time"

From James Harrod's blog:

SHOW #7

AUGUST 6, 1956

The Buddy DeFranco Quintet: Buddy De Franco, clarinet; Marty Paich, piano; Howard Roberts, guitar; Ralph Peña, acoustic double bass; Frank De Vito, drums. Lucy Ann Polk, vocal.

http://callioperecor...3015-james.html

The personnel listings on the Calliope LPs often were educated guesses assuming the bands that had recorded similar repertoire at the time had played on the shows - the De Franco session is another case where a totally different band was on the show.

The Definitive CD copies the wrong personnel listing, although they correct the misidentification of "Now's The Time"; but the people running that label seemingly had no idea how the material on the Callope LPs came into existence.

Edited by mikeweil

James Harrod wrote about everything one wants to know about the Callope LPs on his magnificent blog on the subject:

http://callioperecords.blogspot.de/

Thanks for that informative link. Good to be able to check out all the details on those scant few Sessions,Live LPs that I have (bought them secondhand in relatively recent years, can't recall having seen them in my very early collecting days - or even later on - when they were new or still current - and those nondescript covers would probably have made me shy away before even checking the details on the back cover).

Hi folks,

For those interested by the Art Pepper sides, there is a forthcoming CD from Japan (release december 12, 2012) which contains:

Art Pepper/Everything Happens To Me: Art Pepper Live In 1957

Label: Sinatra Society of Japan(Jap)XQAM-1620

01. All The things You Are

02. Everything Happens To Me

03. St. Louis Blues (Art Pepper on clarinet)

04. Stormy Weather-vocal Pam Russell

05. Cherokee

06. Over The Rainbow

07. What Is This Thing Called Love

08. Just Another Blues

09. These Foolish Things

10. Have You Met Miss Jones?

tracks 1-4 recorded March 31, 1957

tracks 5-7 recorded January 18, 1957

tracks 8-10 previously unreleased

It is available from CDJapan or HMV Japan among others...

Good listening

PS: Please let me know if the above mentioned dates are correct. Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Claude,

Tracks one through seven are from the Stars of Jazz TV series. Bob Andrews taped the music from the TV broadcast and the seven tracks appeared on his Vantage Japanese LP release, NLP5005, titled THE ALTOMAN with tracks by Sonny Criss and Bud Shank on the other side of the LP (also from Stars of Jazz). The correct dates are:

JANUARY 28, 1957 (the 18th was a Friday, SOJ was always on a Monday)

Cherokee

Over The Rainbow

What Is This Thing Called Love

Art Pepper, alto sax; Carl Perkins, piano; Ben Tucker, acoustic double bass; Frankie Capp, drums.

MARCH 31, 1958

All The things You Are

Everything Happens To Me

St. Louis Blues

Stormy Weather-vocal Pam Russell

Art Pepper, alto sax, clarinet; Larry Bunker, piano; Don Payne, acoustic double bass; Chuck Flores, drums. Pam Russell, vocal; Victor Feldman, piano.

I checked with Ken Poston regarding the other tracks. Track eight might be the opening and closing blues played by the Art Pepper group on the 01/28/57 SOJ program. Track nine might be from a 5-4 Ballroom recording and track ten from a Lighthouse recording. If you listen to the samples on the Japanese site the sound varies greatly on these last three tracks. There are other sources for the first seven tracks other than the Bob Andrews LP, such as the Calliope release on CAL 3015.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

From the japanese disco on the web:

Art Pepper/Live in 1957: Everything Happens to Me

Pacific Delights XQAM-1620

Art Pepper (as), Carl Perkins (p), Ben Tucker (b), Chuck Flores (dm)

January 18, 1957/Stars of Jazz Show, Los Angeles

01+ Cherokee

02+ Over the Rainbow

03+ What is This Thing Called Love

+ Just Another Blues

----------------------------------------

Art Pepper (as), Russ Freeman (p), Don Payne (b), Chuck Flores (dm)

Ensemble section by Shorty Rogers (tp), Bud Shank (as), Jimmy Giuffre (ts), Milt Bernhart (tb) and others.

February 18, 1957/Antone's, Long Beach, California

+ These Foolish Things

+ Have You Met Miss Jones ?

---------------------------------------

Art Pepper (as-1, cl-2), Larry Bunker (p-3), Victor Feldman (p-4), Don Payne (b), Chuck Flores (dm), Pam Russel (vo-5)

@ March 31, 1957/Stars of Jazz Show, Los Angeles

05+ All the Things You are 1, 3

06+ Everything Happens to Me 1, 3

07+ St.Louis Blues 2, 3

08+ Stormy Weather 1, 4, 5

Latest CD issue number: as above(Japan)

Note : This album distributed by Sinatra Society of Japan.

Track 01-08 also CD issued on Lonehill Jazz(Sp)LHJ10204 entitled Art Pepper Quartet/Complete TV Studio Recordings].

Have a very good Xmas and good holidays,

Claude

• 4 weeks later...