BOB BROOKMEYER BIRTH DATE

alocispepraluger102

What's his birth date (see thread title) got to do with his passing a year ago?? And what's with the capitals?

Not sure either, but I think it must have something to do with birth dates usually ocurring before dates of death (well, at least in one person's biography - it can get more complicated than that if you look at crowds). Now what does that tell us about the screaming? Is it okay to scream when giving birth? When being born? When dying?

oh oh, and what's a manly man? a mangy man?

Sure he must have been a great musician. But I must admit, I didn´t really get into his stuff. It was with the Mel Lewis Big Band, after Thad Jones had left. See, I heard the Thad Jones-Mel Lewis band and it really knocked me out. But then after Thad had left, with Bob Brookmeyer composing and arranging, it somehow disappointed me. Maybe it was cool for others, I don´t want to put him down just because I didn´t like it.

But then you must be aware there's much more to Brookmeyer than his stint with Jones/Lewis, right?

Just some high points in his career include:

- his early albums as a leader, crowned by "Traditionalism Revisited"

- his sideman work with the Jimmy Giuffre 3

- his sideman work with Gerry Mulligan's quartet and sextet

- his part in the success (musically speaking) of Mulligan's great Concert Jazz Band

And of course he was with Thad/Mel long before Thad left and was - in my opinion - a fine contributor at that stage, already!

The recordings from the 2000's with the European big bands...except "Celebration," which was written as a sort of concerto for Gerry Mulligan...showed how moving large instrumental forces can happen without assembling a string of solos. John Hollenbeck blows up on those. That deconstruction of King Porter Stomp, "K.P. '94" is wild.

Also, played an lp the other day from 1981 recorded at Columbia's 30th St. studio that included a multi-track valve-trombone/rhythm section track called "Mirrors." Playing contrapuntal parts was a big thing with him. His relationship on record with Getz, including that mid-1960's Columbia album with Herbie Hancock and Gary Burton, yielded some lovely stuff.

(edited the year to 1981).

Edited by Lazaro Vega

But then you must be aware there's much more to Brookmeyer than his stint with Jones/Lewis, right?

- his part in the success (musically speaking) of Mulligan's great Concert Jazz Band

And of course he was with Thad/Mel long before Thad left and was - in my opinion - a fine contributor at that stage, already!

And what about the Clark Terry/Bob Brookmeyer Quintet? One of the last bands Eddie Costa played with, they released four great LPs featuring magic improvised counterpoint betwixt the Flugelhorn and Valve trombone:

"Quintet"

"Tonight"

"The Power of Positive Swinging"

"Gingerbread Men"

And what about the Clark Terry/Bob Brookmeyer Quintet? One of the last bands Eddie Costa played with, they released four great LPs featuring magic improvised counterpoint betwixt the Flugelhorn and Valve trombone:

"Quintet"

"Tonight"

"The Power of Positive Swinging"

"Gingerbread Men"

Not up there with the bands I mentioned, in my opinion (though I adore Costa - but he does turn up in less-than-great settings pretty often). Some nice music, for sure, and it does have the "power of positive swinging", but that alone is rarely enough for me ;)

Edited by king ubu