QT's Django Unchained

Some of the old Django movies are being spruced up with good masters, if that's the word, and last week I picked up four:

A Man Called Django

Django and Sartana's Showdown in the West

Django Kills Silently

Django's Cut Price Corpses

A year ago I gave a friend a box of Spaghetti Western DVDs, and it included what some fans feel is the best Django movie, Django Kill. But not everyone believe that it is the best.

I'd like to see the original with Franco Nero, but right now it is priced high because of the popularity of Django Unchained. I'll wait till the price comes down a few bucks.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Inglorious Basterds was worth watching for Cristoph Waltz's performance alone.

I agree. Overall, I liked Django more than Inglorious Basterds. One thing irks me, though - Waltz is clearly the central character for most of Django, yet he was nominated for Best Supporting Actor in the Academy Awards. I guess it was felt that he couldn't have beaten Daniel Day Lewis. I know, the Oscars are all hype, anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

I find it weird how with quite a few movies you can pre-order the DVD while it's still in the theater. I guess they're more willing to have the media ready to sell sooner as with many there's an additional waiting period for rental or streaming, so all the better to make more money.

I still get a kick out of how hard it is to predict if a friend will like this movie or not.

True enough (I actually saw Inglourious Basterds in a theater on its opening weekend), but I live in a very rural area, and cinema expeditions require big planning and a measure of luck...

[Added] Watched it...Photography and (technical) direction QT's best to date IMO, acting generally very good...However, the violence became excessive to me, and some of the pop music on the soundtrack was not to my taste (par for the course with Tarantino). Enjoyed it for the most part, but didn't want to watch a second time. (I like to replay Netflix discs with director's commentary when available, but this release is too new for that feature.)

Edited by T.D.

• 7 years later...