Three Sad Vinyl Stories from the Holidays

I take very good care of my vinyl, but three sad mishaps occurred this holiday season. Never two without three.

1. We had a holiday party, and wine drinking and LP spinning went far into the evening. The last of the partygoers ended up in the record room and I was DJing. I had a bunch of Christmas LPs on display. Somehow my wife "broke" my only copy of Jo Stafford's "Ski Trails" on an original Columbia mono 6-eye. I'm not sure how she did this. She did not tell me until a couple of days later and said that she randomly filed it in the stacks because she thought I'd be mad. (I wasn't). In five years, I'll probably find it and possibly figure out how the hell it broke. I mean, is the cover torn in two?

2. We have a small sofa in the record room. It is a modern Euro design with a steel frame with leather slats that hold the cushions. Underneath are cases of 45s, but your beloved TTK neglected to file some recently spun holiday gems, so they were lying atop the cases, right underneath the leather slats. At the aforementioned holiday party, 3 people were sitting on the couch, and a screw holding the frame together came loose, and the folks on the sofa all sort of dropped down a few inches onto the records. When I inspected the 45s the next day, I found that the mishap had broken my very rare 45 of "Snowman Snowman Sweet Potato Nose" by the Jaynetts, their follow-up to "Sally Go Round the Roses," with the same backing track.

3. I had a New Year's Eve gig with my exotica combo and had wrapped an LP as a gift for my vibes player. It was an original pristine mono pressing of Jobim's "The Composer of Desifinado" LP on Verve. When we were loading up after the gig, he'd briefly laid it on the table closest by the staging area while we carried his vibes out to his car. When we came back, we found the wrapping paper crumpled and tossed into a corner and the LP was gone. There was a "to/from" sticker on the wrapping, so there should have been no confusion. I mean, how do you have your act together enough to go out on NYE and pay a cover charge, and then steal someone else's Christmas present? Who does this, I mean really!

Luckily, all three are available on CD.

So, fellow vinyl lovers, remember that accidents happen, and our vinyl, like life itself, is fragile. Also, alcohol played a role in at least two of these cases, if not three, so beware of mixing vinyl and alcohol, both literally and figuratively.

Happy New Year!

Edited by Teasing the Korean

Wife, party, sofa construction, new years eve gig, vibes plaer, stolen present, 45s, 6 eye Jo Stafford, 45s on top of a box, alcohol broken records...what am I missing?

I meant it as a joke, btw. It's good to mingle with people, generally. Same thing with wifes.

But you do run the risk of shit happening to your records when you do! :g

• 4 weeks later...