Wife taking control of my life

Ann has a significant birthday on Jan 10 and I am at her mercy. We leave for Iowa on the 8th to visit daughter Carla in Chicago and then on to Iowa to spend time with her Mother, brother and extended family. On the 14th we drive to KC for a visit with my brother and his family. No idea when we leave but Ann says the journey leads to the Gulf and I can make side trips if I wish.

We have never been to NO and could use some advice.

Oh, jeez, I love New Orleans. When you know the dates, check out the music listings on Offbeat.com, or heck - just walk down Frenchmen Street and see what appeals to you at d.b.a., The Blue Nile, The Spotted Cat, Snug Harbor, etc. Almost any restaurant you walk into will be great, but when you go to Frenchmen St., eat at the Praline Connection - in spite of the less-than-promising name, it has great soul food. Olivier's on Decatur St. in the French Quarter is great for traditional Creole food. I like to stay at Le Richelieu, on the quiet side of the French Quarter. I won't say it's cheap, but it's reasonable for the Quarter, and it's walking distance of Frenchmen Street and about anywhere you would want to go in the Quarter. If you're there on a Tuesday night, go across town to the Maple Leaf. The Rebirth Brass Band plays there every Tuesday when they're not on tour, and it's an incredibly intense experience. They don't start until after 11:00, though, no matter what the listings say.

You're a lucky dude.

I went to NO for a vacation about 6 weeks before Katrina hit. One thing that's very hard to find is a lousy meal-people are SERIOUS about their food and can also source great food in the area. I can second Jeffcrom on Rebirth at the Maple Leaf. I insisted that it had to be a part of the vacation and I'm glad I did. Totally packed house with wall-to-wall people, and somehow everyone was dancing and groovin' without any problems. Very intense band that also puts a giant smile on your face.

Just a few thoughts...

1) Crawfish etouffee at Mother's (on Poydras, I think)

2) IMO the restaurant with the best ambience is Court of Two Sisters in the Quarter (I think on Royal)

3) Go to a small corner sandwich shop anywhere in the city and have a roast beef po' boy "dressed, all the way"

4) If it's still around, go to Binder's Bakery, and get a loaf of french bread while the lights are flashing.

The only problem with driving to New Orleans is that you have to go through Louisiana to get there...

I moved to Louisiana from Iowa (lifelong resident) two & a half years ago. I remain to this day rather ... unenthused. Maybe I'm just a grump and a creature of habit, but let's just say I don't have much to contribute. My wife and I split our lives in New Orleans for two months while our child was hospitalized and it is indeed a pretty great place. Unfortunately we just haven't had the chance to go back yet. But I will say it's one thing to visit this place and a whoooole other thing to live here day in and out. Frankly, it's fucked.

well I was there about 30 years ago and took in a lot of music,sightseeing, and food which others here are more up to date on.

One thing that perhaps no one has mentioned are some of the easy day trips from NO - one we did was Oak Alley Plantation which is a beautiful place and the ride out there and back gave me some sense of the area around NO - not everyone's cup of tea but I rather enjoyed it.

The only problem with driving to New Orleans is that you have to go through Louisiana to get there...

I moved to Louisiana from Iowa (lifelong resident) two & a half years ago. I remain to this day rather ... unenthused. Maybe I'm just a grump and a creature of habit, but let's just say I don't have much to contribute. My wife and I split our lives in New Orleans for two months while our child was hospitalized and it is indeed a pretty great place. Unfortunately we just haven't had the chance to go back yet. But I will say it's one thing to visit this place and a whoooole other thing to live here day in and out. Frankly, it's fucked.

You have my sympathy. I think I lasted two years, if I'm remembering right.

One thing about New Orleans -- the French Quarter, anyways -- is there seems to be a lot of places that are cash only, for some reason. Those little ATM machines are ubiquitous, and the fees usually annoyingly high -- $5 or so, as I recall.

I can second Jeff's suggestion of Le Richelieu as a great place to stay. It has the added attraction of a ghost lurking about, but that pretty much goes for the entire Quarter.

There's a little restaurant upstairs above the dive next door to the Spotted Cat. Don't recall the name, but I had a great meal there.

But if Jeff's on board, you'll have a great guide.

Enjoy!