Sam Thomas - Chicago Guitarist

JSngry

His playing on Involvement, John Klemmer's first album, has captured the imagination of a few current BFT-takers, myself included. I was prompted to pull out the album, and yeah, he's pretty unique on all four cuts on which he plays.

Which leads to the question - Sam Crawford, eh?

Chicago Jazz Mafia, the floor is all yours, please.

Found a copy of "Out At Last at DG.

spaceshiplo_outatlast_101b.jpg

They describe it thusly:

Despite a title that makes the record sound like either a George Clinton or Sun Ra album, the record's a pretty straight batch of jazz tracks, put out by this obscure Chicago area combo that has a nice soulful style. Samuel Thomas plays guitar, and the record's got some very nice bass work by Scott Black and Harrison Bankhead – but the nicest treat is Maja Rios, who sings vocals on the best cuts. The best of these is the Latiny "The Pursuer", which sounds like a nice lost groover from the bag of Carmen Bradford. Other tunes include "Glad To Be Sad", "Minority", "Give Me A Moment", and "Will N Jug".

Good enough for me. I ordered it.

Yes, the Guardian Angels.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/John_Klemmer

A few typos there -- it should be Joe Daley and Wilbur Campbell. IIRC, being a Joe Daley student was among Klemmer's entrees to the scene, though he was, as that first album makes clear, a fluent, talented player. I assume that the association with Sam Thomas came about because they worked some gigs together and hit it off musically. The partnership is a good one.

Thanks for the Wikipedia entry about John Klemmer. I used to enjoy him at the Baroque on 53rd Street in Chicago but had no idea he recorded so many classics or that Jodie Foster was a Chicago sideman, and if he had so many great managers/agents why wasn't he famous and only led 3 albums after 1981? Etc. Makes me want to write some Wikipedia entries about my friends.

Spaceship Love was the name of Sam Thomas's and Maja Rios's combo

If anybody else is interested, when I called to order, DG said they had two copies of the Spaceship Love album in stock. That's now down to one, but..

I like buying those local-pressing Chicago jazz albums from them. I got both E. Parker McDougal sides, one or two Tommy Jones things, some other things. It's like they're finally packing up and leaving home, but it's a good home they're going to.

Thanks for the Wikipedia entry about John Klemmer. I used to enjoy him at the Baroque on 53rd Street in Chicago but had no idea he recorded so many classics or that Jodie Foster was a Chicago sideman, and if he had so many great managers/agents why wasn't he famous and only led 3 albums after 1981? Etc. Makes me want to write some Wikipedia entries about my friends.

Spaceship Love was the name of Sam Thomas's and Maja Rios's combo

"Jodie Foster" -- what was that person thinking? Though I suspect that Foster and Maja Rios might have gotten along if they'd met.

• 4 years later...