Jack DeJohnette

Milestones

I think Jack DeJohnette is one of our great living artists, and I was delighted to see him celebrating his 70th birthday at the Tri-C JazzFest last year. Interestingly, the group featured Don Byron, who played some amazing clarinet on the opener, "One for Eric"--but then pretty much played tenor thereafter. I don't think Jack played anything off his new album, but instead relied on his classics, like "Blue" and "Ahmad the Terrible."

I believe Jack once said that his style is essentially a combination of Elvin Jones and Tony Williams. He is probably the first who comes to my mind among living drummers. He has played with everyone; and whatever your opinion of Keith Jarrett (I'm a moderate fan), you have to admit there's a lot of great DeJohnette to be heard in this trio.

Jack is probably underrated as composer and group leader. I've heard a lot of his records, and I especially like the ones on ECM. I know the label recently brought out a multi-disc set of his "Special Edition" records, of which the first (with Arthur Blythe and David Murray) is the best; but I have heard them all, and I think this was some of the most creative music of the time (late 70's/early 80's).

Edited by Milestones

I agree Milestones. Jack is one of my favorite drummers if not my favorite drummer. I have yet to get the set, but "Special Edition" is a great record as is "Parallel Realities". I listen to it often and "Saudades" with Trio Beyond has always been in constant rotation since it's release. Jack is such a cool person as well, and seeing him with Pat Metheny, another one of my favorites, and Larry Grenadier in Woodstock in 2008 was revelatory for a few reasons. First, because it was pretty much an informal, jam session type gig (a benefit) hearing them play standards that Pat has never played on a record before was amazing, and Jack's implied approach to time, and outright swing at points really made it special. Many argue Jack is too busy as a player, but he knows how to push the music just right, and the Jarrett stuff proves that.

I do like how DeJohnette has been willing to incorporate electronic stuff on his records, such as on Parallel Realities and even more so on the duo with Frisell: The Elephant Sleeps but Still Remembers. I also recall him doing some weird thing to the drums on some parts of that record he cut with Bruce Hornsby (not so sure that worked).

Jack is also a pianist of some note, and not many drummers can claim that.

Yes, Milestones, there is a thread in new releases about the Miles Davis Quintet: Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Volume 2, due this tuesday. That is the unreleased stuff with Jack 7/4 mentions. Also, Jack had mentioned the trio with Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke was rolling tape every night of their tour last year. I don't know if/when Chick plans to release that.

Also, Jack had mentioned the trio with Chick Corea and Stanley Clarke was rolling tape every night of their tour last year. I don't know if/when Chick plans to release that.

I thought it's the Jack DeJohnette Trio, I hope he releases a lot from that group.

Edited by 7/4

I love his playing, and I'd say his biggest strength as a drummer is his versatility. On the Miles stuff alone, he could do straight ahead swing, free playing, and hard-hitting funky grooves. (I don't think you get a full appreciation of his work with Miles unless you hear a variety of live stuff from 1969-1970 - "What I Say" !!!!) His appearance on an album will, on the margin, make me more interested in hearing it.

I also like his compositions (I've heard 3 of the ECM Special Edition albums), and he obviously has good taste in selecting front-line partners.

Why leave good stuff in the can? At least Blue Note put out a a lot of stuff later. Apparently ECM very rarely does this. True, I'm not about to tell them how to run a business, but the issue of previously unreleased tracks/albums is fun and sometimes quite enlightening.

Have you considered that there might not be any in the can to release? Each label recorded differently, and has a different mindset as to releasing every last note. Who's to say which is the "correct" way to do things? Blue Note had many albums left over because of varying sets of circumstances which may not be in place for a label like ECM. It's not as black and white as you may think. In any case, it's difficult to argue with ECM's methodology and track record --- they've been going strong for longer than Blue Note ever did.

Why leave good stuff in the can? At least Blue Note put out a a lot of stuff later. Apparently ECM very rarely does this. True, I'm not about to tell them how to run a business, but the issue of previously unreleased tracks/albums is fun and sometimes quite enlightening.

Have you considered that there might not be any in the can to release? Each label recorded differently, and has a different mindset as to releasing every last note. Who's to say which is the "correct" way to do things? Blue Note had many albums left over because of varying sets of circumstances which may not be in place for a label like ECM. It's not as black and white as you may think. In any case, it's difficult to argue with ECM's methodology and track record --- they've been going strong for longer than Blue Note ever did.

Still doesn't mean there aren't sessions in the can there. You (and I, and we) simply don't know.

Still doesn't mean there aren't sessions in the can there. You (and I, and we) simply don't know.

You're right. I'm just relaying what I've heard. But even if there are, it doesn't mean that Manfred will release them. There's no use in worrying about what you can't control.

I too wonder whether ECM has unissued sessions in their vaults. Some recent releases (Terje Rypdal and Garbarek/Gismonti/Haden, for example) contain previously-unreleased live sessions from the '70's and '80's.

...and then there's that live Jarrett, Sleeper, from his European group that they put out last year. I tend to think they have a vault full of live material, at least.

I too wonder whether ECM has unissued sessions in their vaults. Some recent releases (Terje Rypdal and Garbarek/Gismonti/Haden, for example) contain previously-unreleased live sessions from the '70's and '80's.

...and then there's that live Jarrett, Sleeper, from his European group that they put out last year. I tend to think they have a vault full of live material, at least.

Well that one, you could argue, wasn't in ECM's vault but perhaps was brought to their attention by the Japanese radio station that recorded it. But, you're right, it could have been in ECM's vault.

I love his playing and I have his drumming on quite a variety of recordings so I agree with the person who spoke of his versatillity. Some of my favorite "live" drum moments have been observing Jack do his thing. Every time he plays he'll surprise you with at least one little "wow I can't believe what I just saw/heard" moment. There is a cleaness or purposefullness in his playing, with very little blurring or muddling about to try to create something. He knows when hold and when to fold as they say and that's what makes him a master imo.

I confess that I love Jack as a drummer (hell I own a Sonor kit because of him) and really have never been that impressed with the work as a leader.

I definitely have heard the Elvin and Tony in him from the start of my listening to him (at the beginning of the 'seventies) and also a propulsive pulse that reminds me of Rasheid Ali at his best. He drives music, with the best of driving skill.

Edited by jazzbo