Gregory Porter

ghost of miles

Really digging his most recent release, BE GOOD.. haven't heard his 2010 debut WATER. Anybody else here checked him out?

He's been hyped over here quite a bit. Jazzwise magazine and BBC R3 Jazz on 3 have been very enthusiastic. His best work is mixed with soul numbers but he's undeniably got a great voice , band and compositional skills. Plenty to enjoy but I've not returned to either of CDs that often.

• 2 weeks later...

I assumed he had a scalp condition.

my guess is that he has some medical condition, hence the need for the hat.

he has been my #1 favorite male vocalist since the first time i heard him about a year ago. he is a totally amazing talent. he has a firm base in jazz but it is fused with soul, blues and gospel. his writing talent is also superior to anything i've heard in ages. most of the discussion about him appears on Facebook and i have been an active participant. saw him for the first time at the Monterey Jazz Festival last Sept. the audience reaction was "off the charts". i heard a rumor that they're going to book him again this year. meanwhile, he will be at the Playboy Jazz Festival this June and on The (straight-ahead) Jazz Cruise next year. at least, those are the times i look forward to experiencing him again in person. he was also nominated for a Grammy last year AND this year. i will be keeping my fingers crossed for this deserving talent this Sunday. he is the best, even Downbeat Critics had him listed right after Kurt E. and Tony B.!!!

• 3 years later...

I just saw him for the first time on tv, he did three live tracks on CBS. Really enjoyed his singing. Nothing earth-shattering, but quite pleasant and refreshing music. His voice reminded me of Johnny Hartman, less powerful perhaps, but in the tradition. I'm thinking of buying one of his cds.

• 3 months later...