John Coltrane US Navy Recordings

Hardbopjazz

Don't really follow your reply. So this is the first recording of Coltrane. I tried to find the recording, but I didn't see it on Amazon or listed in allmusic.com.

Now I know what you mean. It is most likely a priviate recording and not something usually talked about on the board.

Edited by Hardbopjazz

The Navy stuff is of "historical importance" only, imo. The Hodges gig, ototh, is pretty nice.

It's on amazon under the title BT provided. Not gonna link it, b/c this RLR outfit exists more or less only to get themselves paid off of stuff that used to be online for free (and before that, tradable, again for free) and they can kiss all of my mofunkinass because of that (and more), but...it's there, won't pretend it's not.

The Navy stuff is of "historical importance" only, imo. The Hodges gig, ototh, is pretty nice.

It's on amazon under the title BT provided. Not gonna link it, b/c this RLR outfit exists more or less only to get themselves paid off of stuff that used to be online for free (and before that, tradable, again for free) and they can kiss all of my mofunkinass because of that (and more), but...it's there, won't pretend it's not.

Not knowing the rules, I didn't post any link to the free stuff.

But it's not hard to find even the recording I mentioned for anyone interested.

Edited by Blue Train

No, don't post links to free stuff of this nature. Right call.

The RLR item in question is borderline, I guess it's legal in Europe(?), but maybe not really b/c it's not really PD? No matter, really, it's bootleg from any angle. So, no, no linking to that either. Discuss freely, though.

If anybody who wants this material can read this board, you can most likely use the internet just fine on your own, so..use it! :g

ORIGINAL originals? No idea. WKCR(?) aired the Navy sessions and various incarnations of that have been circulating for a few years now. The Hodges thing might have actually surfaced on an LP, one of those off-off-brand jobs that showed up in a store for, like, five minutes and then disappeared forever until the internet. My copy of it is fairly "immediate" sounding, not bad at all. Haven't really paid that much attention to the Navy stuff other than one or two listens.

Actually, the Hodges stuff was available for a time on a Boris Rose LP issued under Hodges' name. I haven't listened to it in years, but I recall that the sound was pretty good. Trane is actually pictured on the back of one of Hodges' Norgran LP's, but does not solo at all. The live sides offer a fine glimpse of how this band sounded live, and Trane sounds really good.

One or two of the Navy tracks were on a Rhino 2-CD set some years ago which presented an overview of Trane's career. I agree that this 1945 stuff is strictly of historical interest.