laptop battery

bertrand

The battery on my laptop model HP G71-340US notebook is pretty much dead. I guess that's to be expected since it is 4 years old.

So how do I get a new one? I searched a bit online, including the HP site, and I can't seem to find it as an HP product - do they not make it anymore? I was at Micro Center a few months ago buying something else and they said they had them but they are not on their site - did they just discontinue them?

It looks like Amazon and other places offer a compatible one from other companies - do I have to go this route? Some of them have good reviews, but the size is a bit odd - one sticks out which tilts the laptop, but apparently people like that.

Has anyone ever bought a battery for this same model. Is there a reliable third party? Will I cause a problem by using a brand other than HP?

Thanks,

Bertrand.

Edited by bertrand

In the case of Dell batteries, I always recommend buying from Dell directly. Most of the batteries on Amazon & eBay are refurbished and usually don't last as long. I bought my daughter a refurbished battery and it lasted for about a year. After that one died, I bought her a Dell OEM and it's still going, three years later.

Are the non-hp equivalents just as good?

Not sure what Blue Train is getting at...

Sorry, I wasn't clearer.

If you want your battery to last longer. You should calibrate it @ least once a year.

Once it reaches 100% on rechagring and you're plugged in....take it out. The heat effects the lithium, which eventually leads to your needing a new battery sooner than you should.

Edited by Blue Train