Organissimo at Dockers!

Upright Bill

Conn is referring to the fact that I had my Leslie speaker situated directly behind me for the first set this Friday at the Firefly. This is the defacto setup I use when playing at Founders in Grand Rapids, but we have a sound system and I mic the Leslie and put it through the main speakers. We didn't use the sound system at the Firefly for that and I didn't think about the fact that my body and my big head might block the sound coming out of the Leslie! :)

Sounded good from where I was sitting, that's for sure! :D I moved the Leslie for the second and third sets...

BTW, they usually have a sound system at Dockers as well, although the last time we played there I wish they didn't. Whoever the sound people were brought this GIGANTIC system, far too large for the room, and mic'd everything up as if it were a Deep Purple concert. I hit one note on my organ before we started and it just about took my head off!!!

Hopefully they'll let us use our own system.

BTW, they usually have a sound system at Dockers as well, although the last time we played there I wish they didn't.  Whoever the sound people were brought this GIGANTIC system, far too large for the room, and mic'd everything up as if it were a Deep Purple concert.  I hit one note on my organ before we started and it just about took my head off!!!

Hopefully they'll let us use our own system.

I was there last night (as was Uncle Skid) to hear Mary Radimaker (she could go on the Babe thread as well). The PA they used was just a powered board and a pair of speakers on stands. I'm sure it was keyboardist's equipment since he was the one in control of it all night.

Mary was great! That's not really my kind of jazz, but she does it well. She is very nice (and not just because she asked me to sit in next week, Uncle Skid).

They are doing it in the large dining room in the back which is a great place to listen to good music. Another improvement over last year is that the kitchen is open!

Edited by Upright Bill

Mary Rademacher, Tim Johnson, and Mark Kahny definitely put on a great show. Mary's voice is terrific, and she's a great dancer as well. She'll be back next Sunday night.

The worst part was the turnout -- not bad, I suppose, but it's a damn shame that more people aren't showing up for these types of things. A group with as much talent as Mary's (and Organissmo, as welll) certainly deserve to have a larger audience. What else is there to do in West Michigan on a Sunday night, in the winter? Watch TV?? Go Bowling???

The acoustics in that part of the restaurant sounded pretty good to me. I'll bet you guys will sound great there -- looking forward to hearing you again!

The kitchen being open is a nice bonus. I had already eaten prior to the show, but Bill had a plate of fried perch that was smelling and looking pretty damn good!

Mary Rademacher was back at Docker's last night (2/15/2004). This time with a new pianist, David Hay. David is IMHO more of a jazz pianist than Mark Kahny. Mark is good but everything felt like pop to me. Last night felt like more like jazz. More piano solos and the solos were more adventurous.

The biggest difference over last week is that the place was fuller. There were maybe four empty tables.

Mary and Tim both mentioned Organissimo at least 6 times last night and encouraged people to come out.

Mary asked about you Uncle Skid!

Mary asked about you Uncle Skid!

I really wish I could have gone. Between seeing Mary last week, Phil Woods in GR, and the Newport guys last night, I used up all of my jazz night-out credits. Also needed to make sure next Sunday night was open!

b3-er: Just got a email about your Docker's gig -- and it says 9pm - 1am. Past events there have been 6pm - 10pm, with the place largely empty by 10.

Are the times on your email correct? Are you really starting at 9?

-- Mark

Great show! (But the waitress didn't even ask if she could warm *my* bottle)! What's up with that??

What could be better on a relaxing Sunday than chillin' with Organissimo, featuring special guest Johnny Gist on saxophones?

Nothing I can think of!! Randy, Jim, and Joe sounded great (as usual); Johnny was a great addition to the band. Thanks for bringing great music to Muskegon, guys.